The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So I've Been Adopted by a "Roo" - now what to do?

(Sorry for the rhyme, just watch Grinch LOL)

We think someone dumped this rooster on our quiet street. He is gorgeous, black & grey spotted, and so friendly - he follows you around and begs to be petted.

At first he hung out across the street, but now he has adopted my barn. I am becoming rather fond of this guy, which, in a moment of incredible inspiration I named "Roo"

There has been talk of finding him a home, and I'm caught between, do I raise my hand and claim him, or let the neighbors find him a suitable farm.

While I was planning to add a small flock to my little farm, I'm not quite ready - the area I had planned for a coop needs to be cleaned out & fenced.

Then, if I do keep Roo, I feel I should add some hens to the flock - what are the odds of a lone rooster accepting new hens? Is there a preferred procedure to this effort?

Everytime I think I'm just too busy, let the neighbors place him, I come into the barn in the morning and feel a little burst of joy when I see my Roo waiting for me. Sigh, what to do with my Roo...?

How can you do
    The giving up of a Roo?
    In the house he should go
    To keep him out of the snow.
    Little chicken diapers to wear
    And a fire to share,
    Keeps him safe and sound
    The whole year 'round.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

8 members found this post helpful.

That's so cute!! I'd definitely keep "Roo" - especially since he's so friendly, which isn't always the case unless a rooster has been hand-raised from a chick & has had lots of gentle handling.

As for hens, roosters aren't monogamous, & don't give one little whit whether they "know" the hens they're given or not. "Roo" will be quite happy with ANY hens you provide.

2 members found this post helpful.

Here's hoping your friendly Roo doesn't turn in to the Rooster from hell like ours did.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

A Roo will always accept new girls. They aren't as picky as the ladies are. Hang on to a friendly Roo and you will be happy too.

1 members found this post helpful.

I saw the title of your post and wondered a) How the heck does someone acquire a kangaroo in the US, let alone lose one? b) Are kangaroos gregarious enough that lost ones follow people home?

I think I've had too long a day.

9 members found this post helpful.

Just make sure you get enough ladies to keep him entertained. A roo with only 3-4 girlfriends is a roo with tattered and worn girlfriends.

LOL some of these comments! Thanks for advice! Took a big step today - bought a bag of Roo Food, so he get's that instead of a handful of Omelene 100 tonight

2 members found this post helpful.

Take him. You want him, and he wants you. That's probably the best relationship I've read about lately. Then, get him some girlfriends, and everyone will be happy.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

4 members found this post helpful.

Aw, he sounds really happy with you! Consider yourself enabled on keeping him

Pictures of super friendly Roo?
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Keephim!!!
    as the former owner of a Roo From Hell (RIP thanks to a fox) I'd love to have a friendly rooster.
    My Asshat may have been a terror to strangers (and occassionally to ME!) but he did a great job watching his hens.
    In fact he died defending them - his body had the worst injuries of the 3 the fox killed & left

So keep your friendly guy, get him some hens and let the fun begin

Aside:
    Once you have tasted your own fresh eggs you will never buy storebought or order them out again!
    Bonus points if your hens are broody and hatch chicks.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Its so easy to keep chickens! And they are sweet and comical. Keep the roo, and start your flock. My chickens give me grins every single day, and their eggs are a fantastic gift.

LOL.....i ws also thinking kangaroo when i saw the title, but wondering HOW it could be.....
    never thought about a rooster