The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just managed to sell my County via Craigslist last week. Made a little money on it beyond what I paid for it actually.... But.... it was a harder to find size (larger seat, xw tree) and in a rather low price bracket for a County (Sold it for $560, listed it at 600). Now, I can't get a single inquiry on the Smith Worthington that I'm trying to sell for way less money.... Have just resigned myself to that I will have to sit on it a while if I am going to sell it for what it is worth.

I just sold a Wintec Pro dressage saddle on eBay and I was very nervous about it, and still am as there is a 45 day return policy imposed by eBay if the buyer wants to open a case, even if the ad itself states no returns. eBay really screws over the sellers even though its the sellers that are paying them to use the service. The saddle sold within a week, but was priced at $400 and came with everything including a saddle carrier.

When it comes to high end expensive saddles like another poster said that is a personal purchase, not something that somebody is going to buy as a gift to somebody else (unless they are crazy rich). Money is tight for a lot of people right now.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
    While prices are lower on ebay, a lot of saddles are selling there. I'm seeing expensive saddles go for a lot less than I paid for mine over a decade ago.

I just bought one. Like I need a 6th saddle with 2 horses! But it was a very rare and nice saddle, and I got it after the original purchaser defaulted on her bid for it on ebay.

I don't know how much sellers pay in fees there, but I've bought now 2 saddles on ebay, both from overseas, and both have been terrific saddles.
    I dunno; just unloaded a Beval Natural and scored 3 lovely vintage Stubbens that better filled our needs; I'd say the buyin' and sellin's pretty lively--locally and on e-Bay.

I just bought one and looking for another, so some people are buying! Why oh why do all my horses have to be so different that each needs his own?! I have two on consignment right now, but just started, so no idea how long those will take to sell. Usually I have sold them on my own via tacktrader and such ads, but didn't want to deal with it this time; I'm sure people will want trials and the other sellers can deal with that better than me, and one is with the saddle maker's rep, so she's better at selling that brand than anyone!

I sell a lot on eBay but will NOT sell a saddle there due to some of the issues reported by folks on COTH and elsewhere. Maybe if I had a less expensive one, but mine are in the $2K and up range and I won't risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As some of you know, I just recently sold my horse and got "out" of horses for a while. While I've kept a few odds and end things, I'm selling msot of my horse stuff because I just don't need it anymore, it's taking up space, and I could really use the extra money. I've had my saddle for sale for....3? 4? months, and I've had exactly 2 phonecalls about it. I'm getting really frustrated, while I don't have to pay for it to sit around my house, I would really like to have that money to help pay some bills, as $$$ is tight with the holidays...

I've got it listed on all the usual sites. I've made fliers. It's a nice brand, nice quality, sells for over 2K brand new, and I think I'm asking the same, or less, than what used ones are selling for online. Plenty of pics, info, heck, I'm even throwing in the leathers and irons with it. The local tack stores are a rip off so I don't really want to consign or sell to them, if I can help it. Mods, please edit if this is too "advertise-y"

What gives? Is there something I can do to make my ads more appealing? Or is it really just a bad time for selling right now?

I'm currently saddle shopping. PM me with what you have

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Sell it on EventingNation.com. I sold my Stackhouse there the first day I posted it and had multiple calls about it.

I agree that saddle sell better in the spring.

You also need to find the right audience. If you have a brand (like Stackhouse) which is favored by eventers, then you don't want to go on eBay with it. EN charges $15 or something like that to run the ad and takes no commission.
    Thanks for the tip!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

So here's a question - why don't these sellers on ebay mention tree width? I think there's maybe one saddle out of the ones I looked at that mention the tree. I have a fat broad-backed pony I need a new (to me) saddle for and I have to have a wide or at least medium wide tree. It's frustrating!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    So here's a question - why don't these sellers on ebay mention tree width? I think there's maybe one saddle out of the ones I looked at that mention the tree. I have a fat broad-backed pony I need a new (to me) saddle for and I have to have a wide or at least medium wide tree. It's frustrating!
    I found this frustrating too....I was looking at Stubben Siegfrieds on Ebay and only a couple mentioned the width. The measurements were difficult to find on the ad too, whereas to me it would make sense just to stick the width measurement with the seat, right? Anyway, I did just get an incredible deal on a used stubben which I am very excited about since I have been riding in a collegiate which is an inch too small!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I've pretty sure I've got my Devoucoux sold for around the price I thought I'd end up getting for it after negotiating. I put it on EventingNation and a few other places. I didn't get a thing from EN for like a week, but the buyer did end up being via the EN ad.

What about dressage saddles? I am not familiar with a lot of places to advertise tack and specifically have a dressage saddle to sell.

thanks for all the tips, I've got it listed on a few more sites (not ebay! lol) and I've gotten some more hits. Think I'm just going to sit on it a while till I get the right price.

Same here! Finally worked out a purchase on a custom cutting saddle that was being sold on eBay! I kept getting outbid as well on saddles in the nearly 2 grand range. The saddles that I had 'watched' all sold for decent money, considering what they cost new. One thing I noticed was that these ads all had sellers with good reps, GREAT photos, good descriptions with measurements and they came with at least their stirrups and some came with fittings. I would have been outbid on mine, most likely as well.. but I wised up and contacted the seller directly to ask about a payment plan. She accepted and soon I will have my new saddle! I have noticed that on this particular sellers personal store website, her saddles don't hang around for long. I think it's good marketing, selling saddles that are CLEAN and if need be, have been oiled/repaired. Im amazed by how much stuff I see for sale that hasn't even been CLEANED for starters!! I have a friend who owns a local tack shop and she takes in consignment saddles. She's been selling well despite a cold snap that has kept most of us from riding. I think saddles that are well conditioned, in good repair, not stripped and priced well will sell. I'll admit that if my cutting saddle had been priced too LOW, I would have been put off and afraid that there was something wrong with it...

Agree that people are not buying saddles right now. I took my old saddle to the barn, in hopes that it would be a perfect Christmas gift for some lucky child. However, in talking with parents and trainer, the amount I was asking was more than they were spending on a gift this year. And they agree that the kid needs a saddle, and that mine is fairly priced, and they know I'll let them try it to see if it fits. Saddle is back home now, and I'll try to sell it later.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I watch the saddle market very closely, and have for about six years.

Asking "Are people buying saddles right now?" is like asking "Are people buying houses right now?" The answer is "yes, some, if they're advertised in appropriate venue to attract buyers who like that kind of saddle, at an appropriate price for today's market conditions." And that price is often but not always less than most sellers think their tack is worth. Just as with houses in today's recession, most people bought high and are now being forced to sell low if they want a sale at all. To be fair, buyers have also gotten very tight fisted; they too are hurting for cash and won't pay a penny more than they must.

Here's some of my other broad scope generalizations.

1. Yes, there are buyers out there, if the prevalence of saddle-fitting COTH threads and my overflowing PM box are any indication. But I'm hearing less these days about people picking up saddles "as spares" or "because I just really like that particular model so when I see one, I snap it up on principle." In that way, the saddle market mimics the horse market: people are still buying horses, but they're buying very particular kinds of horses with show records and training for days, and for well less than that horse would have been worth 5 to 8 years ago. Ditto with saddles.

2. There are still a few saddle models out there that are hot, hot, hot *if* they are priced appropriately. Some of them are fairly new products and therefore very hard to get them on the used market, such as the Voltaire Lexington, Voltaire Palm Beach, County Sensation, etc. Some of them are just really popular products, like the Devoucoux Chiberta, the CWD SE02, the discontinued older model of the Wintec Pro Jump (people are clamoring to get them now that the design has changed), the discontinued 17.5" and 18" versions of the Phillippe Fontaine Diane and Danielle, the Wise-Air saddles especially the adjustable gullet versions, etc. Still other saddles benefit from collusion and cartel effects; the Custom dressage saddles, for example, tend to go back into the hands of Custom reps who can command top dollar for them, and move them quickly. Some saddles are very versatile in their fit for horse and rider, which broadens their market appeal; for example, you'd have to really be doin' it wrong to have trouble moving a Collegiate Convertible Diploma in 17.5" or 18". And again, if you put certain saddles at the right place--for example, with the right consignment vendor or the right online classified site--at the right time, you might get results.

3. As always, it is harder to sell a custom saddle unless extensive information is offered to buyers about which customizations were put on the saddle. This is what makes selling a Stackhouse so difficult. Many Stackhouse owners don't even know what customizations were put on their saddle, much less what kind of other horses it might fit. This is why you buy a Stackhouse brand new: because you wanted it to fit perfectly and you wanted David Stackhouse to do that legwork for you. But it makes resale a challenge.

4. If the motto of real estate is location, location, location, then perhaps the motto of saddle sales is fashion, fashion, fashion. I could name dozens of products that are very solid and would make buyers and sellers very happy, but their aesthetics, structural qualities, or brand names are not very trendy. The hunter/jumper market in particular is persnickety about fashion, and guess which discipline is home to the most riders who are ready to write huge checks for a used saddle.

5. The all-purpose market has always been soft over about $500-$600 retail prices, but the dressage saddle market has gotten more soft/weak as the recession has dragged on. I haven't figured out all the reasons for this, but here's three quick and obvious contributors:

--Simple ol' supply outpacing demand. There are far more dressage saddles than there are buyers. When jobs and money get tight, eventers and hobbyists often sell off their dressage saddle and do their flatwork in a jump saddle. Dressage is a discipline where if the levels are being climbed correctly (or even incorrectly), the horse's musculature changes significantly as does the rider's position, and that means riders tend to go through several saddles. It's also IMO the discipline that is most unforgiving of a saddle fit for horse and rider, especially once you talk about roughly Second Level and beyond. All of this leads to a perfect storm of "lots of used stock, not many buyers for it." I feel your pain, y'all. I've got two dressage saddles on my floor to go out for consignment too. (For the record, not botched fitting jobs. I upgraded my own dressage saddle as a gift to myself, and the other was outgrown by a friend's horse.)

--about five years ago, the saddle makers of the world heeded the call to offer lower-cost alternatives to high-end "hot" brands. Certain high-end saddles have become harder to move as a result because now they've got cheaper cousins to compete with. The poster child for this is the Passier Grand Gilbert, a time-honored and fantastic saddle model that is now knocked off by the Thornhill Vienna, the Collegiate Convertible Intellect Dressage, and several other sub-$1200 offerings. I had to fight a "client" tooth and nail two years ago to choose an $800 Passier GG over a brand new $995 Thornhill Vienna. She just could not see why I'd choose a 10-year-old Passier over a brand new Thornhill, especially when I had just helped another "client" in the barn buy a $300 used Thornhill Vienna. I did finally talk her into the Passier and she's thrilled with her choice. The Passier looks the same as the day she bought it and will outlive her and her horse. The Thornhill has faded leather and has perhaps 4 or 5 more years left before it becomes unserviceable, but the buyer knew that--on a $300 budget with a wide horse and particular fit challenges, beggars can't be choosers.

--I think there's more people who dabble in dressage and get out soon thereafter, leaving their saddles behind. Compare this to H/J where if you decide it's not for you, chances are you can keep the saddle and use it for pleasure riding/foxhunting/eventing/whatever.

4. Some sellers shoot themselves in the foot AND/OR some buyers have lofty expectations, which exacerbates matters. If I had a dime for everyone on Ebay who wanted me to guarantee that my saddle would fit their horse (whom they had usually described in one very quick, cursory verbal phrase like "a 10 year old quarter horse") and wanted a 30-day saddle trial, I'd be rich. Sellers, many of who have either not sold saddles before or don't realize that they could do better, are taking inadequate or not very helpful pictures. If you want to see it done right, Patricia at fine-used-saddles.com does a pretty awesome job. The only thing I'd add to her picture sets is shots with a measuring tape showing the true seat size, flap length, and pommel opening measurement. (I think pommel opening measurements are borderline useless/only a very rough approximation of how wide the saddle will fit, but buyers love them and they do help everyone confirm that you're in the right ballpark--for example, that something marked medium is not an emphatic extra wide.)

There's also the question of advertising in enough venues. Unless you've got a specialty product that you can shoot to an obvious market (example: a popular monoflap model advertised on Eventing Nation or a foxhunting-friendly saddle on Foxhunters Online or a CWD/Antares/Devoucoux sent to a major consignment vendor who moves a lot of high-end French tack), it behooves you to blanket the market with ads. Too many folks just throw it on Craigslist and maybe one other place. If that works for you, great. But if you don't have a sale after two or three weeks, up the exposure. There are dozens of great free places to advertise tack online. For that matter, in this economy, I've even seen people advertising privately on behalf of their consigned saddle. For example, their ad will talk about the saddle, then end with "On consignment at Such-and-Such Saddlery, which you can reach at XXX-XXX-XXXX."

Edited to add: there is also still a pretty active "bottom feeder" market, meaning people looking for beater saddles under $500. There's always going to be backyard riders, folks just starting out who just need *something* to ride in, and lesson programs who prioritize durability and build quality over aesthetics. But even here, the prices have depressed. For example, three years ago you could sell a plain-flapped Crosby PDN or Crump Prix de Saute for $250-$300 if it was in really great condition. Now you're lucky to be rid of it at all, to anyone, at $200.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

If you're on Facebook, check for local tack sale groups. I belong to 3 or 4 groups where people post their items for sale. Most are for nearby local areas and one is statewide.

Now is probably not the best time to be selling a saddle - people riding less in the winter, finances stretched by holiday gift shopping. Also I know that personally, I am holding off on some purchases until I see what happens with this whole Fiscal Cliff issue. If my taxes go up $2,000+ next year, I will be cutting lots of leisure spending by necessity.

I've had three on consignment at a nice, locally well-known tack shop for over a year and they've gone out on a couple of trials, but no luck so far. I'm dropping the prices to see if that will move them. I have three others I need to sell as well, but not willing to just give them away, either.

Mine are good-quality saddles (County, Baines, Krehan) in good condition, but apparently they're just not what people are looking for right now. And yes, I've advertised them with our local dressage groups, on the better-known websites, and the shop has them on their website as well. So to answer your question -- I think people are looking for a "steal of a deal" right now and if you have the saddles priced at what someone is willing to pay, then they'll sell.

I find your posts on saddles to be really informative. I have a bit of a saddle obsession myself, but you know way more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post

1. Yes, there are buyers out there, if the prevalence of saddle-fitting COTH threads and my overflowing PM box are any indication. But I'm hearing less these days about people picking up saddles "as spares" or "because I just really like that particular model so when I see one, I snap it up on principle." In that way, the saddle market mimics the horse market: people are still buying horses, but they're buying very particular kinds of horses with show records and training for days, and for well less than that horse would have been worth 5 to 8 years ago. Ditto with saddles.
    Sadly, I am still one of those people who buy because I like a saddle and it's hard (if not impossible) to find. That's why I picked up a spare Wintec Pro Jump, a Wintec Matt Ryan, and an old Ainsley Chester. I don't actually need those saddle right now . . . but one day I might and then they could be hard to find. I always regretted selling my Chester and was delighted when I could replace it with a mint condition "oldie but goodie" last summer!

I would buy another County Extreme for the same reason. If I find one in my price range I probably will. In the meantime, I'm going to have the tree adjusted on the one that's sitting in my tackroom so I can use it on my current horse.

However, I no longer "buy to try" as many saddles as I used to, unless they are screaming good deals. I used to buy and sell a lot of saddles just because I like to, but with eBay becoming less seller friendly and the market being tight, it's not always worthwhile for me to tie up cash in a saddle that could be difficult to sell.

I agree that the are a lot of very good saddles out there that aren't trendy and seem underpriced compared to the hot brands.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Sadly, I am still one of those people who buy because I like a saddle and it's hard (if not impossible) to find. That's why I picked up a spare Wintec Pro Jump, a Wintec Matt Ryan, and an old Ainsley Chester.
    If I saw a Wintec Matt Ryan, I would totally buy it too. That saddle is a unicorn and it's awesome. And like I said in my last post, the old-style Wintec Pro Jump has become quite the "item" and I don't blame people for snapping those up, especially if they ride a lot of green horses.

I'll let you know if I see any County Extremes. I only see two or three of them each year!

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I'll let you know if I see any County Extremes. I only see two or three of them each year!
    Just saw one on eBay...had never heard of that model until this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/County-Extre...item460a89dc1d

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Just saw one on eBay...had never heard of that model until this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/County-Extre...item460a89dc1d
    Wish it were half an inch bigger!

The Extreme, for me, is the most comfortable saddle that I've found and fits my leg unbelievably well.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.