The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have the opposite problem. I am looking for a specific County jump saddle and can not find it. My horse and I are particular. I wish the forums still had the looking for section.

Jn4Jenny, you have an email
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

Apparently I'm doing it wrong! I've had my less than 6 months old collegiate diploma convertible for sale with full gullet kit for less than half the price new. I've posted it in lots of places with good pics and NO bites!

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post

Here's some of my other broad scope generalizations.

2. There are still a few saddle models out there that are hot, hot, hot *if* they are priced appropriately. Some of them are fairly new products and therefore very hard to get them on the used market, such as the Voltaire Lexington, Voltaire Palm Beach, County Sensation, etc. Some of them are just really popular products, like the Devoucoux Chiberta, the CWD SE02, the discontinued older model of the Wintec Pro Jump (people are clamoring to get them now that the design has changed), the discontinued 17.5" and 18" versions of the Phillippe Fontaine Diane and Danielle, the Wise-Air saddles especially the adjustable gullet versions, etc. Still other saddles benefit from collusion and cartel effects; the Custom dressage saddles, for example, tend to go back into the hands of Custom reps who can command top dollar for them, and move them quickly. Some saddles are very versatile in their fit for horse and rider, which broadens their market appeal; for example, you'd have to really be doin' it wrong to have trouble moving a Collegiate Convertible Diploma in 17.5" or 18".

"

Quote Originally Posted by finneas View Post
    Apparently I'm doing it wrong! I've had my less than 6 months old collegiate diploma convertible for sale with full gullet kit for less than half the price new. I've posted it in lots of places with good pics and NO bites!
    I said the Collegiate Convertible Diploma in 17.5" and 18". Based on your other thread, I'm pretty sure that's not the size you're selling. That said, 6 months is an awfully long time even if it's a 17" or 16.5". Chances are you're doin' something wrong. My guess is that you don't have the saddle advertised in venues where it would really attract the right attention, and/or the pictures and description are not as useful as you think. For example, here's three key mistakes I see people make when they advertise that saddle:
    1. They don't actually explain what the Easy Change Gullet System is for buyers who don't know about it, or they don't play up the adjustability of the wool flocking.
    2. They don't shoot pictures at an angle that showcases this saddle's naturally forward flap angle.
    3. They don't emphasize its sister relationship with the more expensive Bates Caprilli Close Contact. Your ideal buyer is someone who is miffed about having to buy a $900 used Bates Caprilli CC and sees a $500-$600 Collegiate Convertible Diploma as a very juicy alternative, especially for people who have gotten sour on the CAIR system but otherwise love the Bates Caprilli CC.

But again, the #1 mistake is not enough exposure. If your saddle isn't on every used saddle classified site from here to China--at the very least Bits and Barter, Horsegroomingsupplies Forum, Horseclicks, Craigslist, Tacktrader, some of your local show association's Facebook sites or classified sites, and a few of the Facebook tack classified sites--you need more ads.

Your ideal buyer is someone who is miffed about having to buy a $900 used Bates Caprilli CC and sees a $500-$600 Collegiate Convertible Diploma as a very juicy alternative, especially for people who have gotten sour on the CAIR system but otherwise love the Bates Caprilli CC.
    I don't think folks want to pay $900 for a Bates Caprilli CC. Doesn't matter if you throw in the gullet kit, have the thing flocked in wool and all the paperwork back to the purchase and serial number.. or that it was an Aussie-made one.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks Jenny! I always love your posts. By the way, Smith Worthington adjusted a Zephyr for us and after trying one that was a close fit we ended up buying it. It is the best saddle and fits us both perfectly. Thank you for your help.

I said the Collegiate Convertible Diploma in 17.5" and 18". Based on your other thread, I'm pretty sure that's not the size you're selling. That said, 6 months is an awfully long time even if it's a 17" or 16.5". Chances are you're doin' something wrong. My guess is that you don't have the saddle advertised in venues where it would really attract the right attention, and/or the pictures and description are not as useful as you think. For example, here's three key mistakes I see people make when they advertise that saddle:
    1. They don't actually explain what the Easy Change Gullet System is for buyers who don't know about it, or they don't play up the adjustability of the wool flocking.
    2. They don't shoot pictures at an angle that showcases this saddle's naturally forward flap angle.
    3. They don't emphasize its sister relationship with the more expensive Bates Caprilli Close Contact. Your ideal buyer is someone who is miffed about having to buy a $900 used Bates Caprilli CC and sees a $500-$600 Collegiate Convertible Diploma as a very juicy alternative, especially for people who have gotten sour on the CAIR system but otherwise love the Bates Caprilli CC.

But again, the #1 mistake is not enough exposure. If your saddle isn't on every used saddle classified site from here to China--at the very least Bits and Barter, Horsegroomingsupplies Forum, Horseclicks, Craigslist, Tacktrader, some of your local show association's Facebook sites or classified sites, and a few of the Facebook tack classified sites--you need more ads.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I don't think folks want to pay $900 for a Bates Caprilli CC. Doesn't matter if you throw in the gullet kit, have the thing flocked in wool and all the paperwork back to the purchase and serial number.. or that it was an Aussie-made one.
    Without turning this into an advertising thread...it's the Passier GG v. Thornhill Vienna effect all over again. The Collegiate Diploma has wreaked havoc on used Bates CC prices, and when we add in the fact that the Aussie-made Bates are now so distant in history that most buyers can't remember how much more awesome they were than the Vietnam-made Bates...well, it gets ugly. I feel for you. If it were me I would prefer an Aussie-made wool-flocked Bates over a newer CC Diploma or Bates CC any day of the week. But admittedly, even I probably wouldn't pay $900. The market is so depressed. To put this in perspective, I very easily moved an old Aussie-made Bates CC in 2009 for $1100. With the same saddle today, I'd be lucky to get $750-$800.

That said, I think it could be gotten rid of. I can think of several consignment vendors who could move it at $900-$1000, but your in-the-pocket profit would obviously be 20-25% less than that, so still around $750.

Trust me, we all are in the same ugly boat. I've got two dressage saddles that I'm going to be lucky to break even on.

Without turning this into an advertising thread...it's the Passier GG v. Thornhill Vienna effect all over again. The Collegiate Diploma has wreaked havoc on used Bates CC prices, and when we add in the fact that the Aussie-made Bates are now so distant in history that most buyers can't remember how much more awesome they were than the Vietnam-made Bates...well, it gets ugly....

Trust me, we all are in the same ugly boat. I've got two dressage saddles that I'm going to be lucky to break even on.

Saddle manufacturers seemed to have changed their strategy in response to rising material and labor prices. Faced with a market that won't pay $2.5K for an off-the-rack saddle and way more for a very nice semi-custom one, they tried to get to the $1K number. They'd cut the corners they had to in order to get there. But they could reuse on the R&D they did for the more expensive versions of the saddles. After all, it was a sunk cost.

That means used saddles drop in price quickly. And those making new saddles are happy with that and also the "planned obsolescence" we got use to with technology.

In the dressage- and hunter worlds, things can be a little different. Generally, the H/J rider will want the same things in a saddle (for herself) for a long time-- same size, same balance and all. The dressager might find herself legitimately needing different sizes and design features in her saddle as she moves up the levels and her riding changes.

I hate this because it doesn't go with the "buy it once and use it forever (without losing your shirt)" strategy. I spent a lifetime learning to buy the way my grandparents did-- after being a fan of conspicuous consumption. And now the saddle market would like me go back to buying crap... many times over.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've bought 2 in the last week on eBay. There are some serious deals to be had right now.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble