The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling a performance horse with existing issues

deleted post
    Last edited by NJRider; Feb. 26, 2014 at 05:43 PM.

What you describe should be listed as "healthy and sound with maintenance"

"Healthy and sound" as a stand alone statement means x ray to your hearts desire, you won't find anything.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

I disagree with this. Horses can and do get around just fine, sometimes in serious competition, without maintenance, healthy and sound, yet won't x-ray "clean". An "existing issue" would include mental issues as well as physical, which would be revealed when pursuing purchasing said horse, one would hope.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

"Healthy and sound" means that the owner doesn't see anything wrong. It's a correct assessment, so far as the owner goes or has tried to find out.

It means almost nothing by itself. You ask questions, you see the horse go, you get your favorite PPE vet to do all the verifying of "healthy and sound."

So I don't put too much stock in that advertising statement, but I also don't get pissed at an owner whose horse turns out not to be "healthy and sound." I try to limit the PPE by doing my best to see lameness before I drag out a DVM.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Clinically, "sound" means its doing what it needs to do in it's life without limping. A PPE can find a ton of stuff in just about anything. And a clean set of xrays doesn't mean it's not going to be sound.
    I always ask about "maintenance" when discussing the care of and barn habits/manners.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Sorry, double post...
    Last edited by littlecreek; Dec. 22, 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: double post

The term "sound" is relative. Sound for what? trail riding? Light flatwork? Low jumping?

deleted post
    Last edited by NJRider; Feb. 26, 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    OK..so if there is an upper level performance horse for sale that would NEVER pass a flexion test (would be lame at the walk after tests) but is not lame otherwise is this horse sound? Struggling with disclosure ethics, I guess...
    I would say yes.

In my neck of the woods, if the horse does the job, no matter what the maintenance, radiographs, flexion tests, etc, then people will advertise and sell the horse as 'sound.' 'Sound' NOT being equal to 'perfect physical specimen.'

Which is one reason why you have to ask a LOT of questions. And preferably get full disclosure of all recent vet work/records. People will inject the hell out of a horse and then sell it as 'sound.' The catch here is, that if you are talking 'performance' horse, then the people (in this neck of the woods) have the finances and motivation to continue with the veterinary work on the horse in order to keep it doing it's job.

Enough people (competitive folks) would rather have a super, reliable horse that they have to support with lots of vet work, over a less reliable horse that is perfect physically.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    OK..so if there is an upper level performance horse for sale that would NEVER pass a flexion test (would be lame at the walk after tests) but is not lame otherwise is this horse sound? Struggling with disclosure ethics, I guess...
    I would say yes.

In my neck of the woods, if the horse does the job, no matter what the maintenance, radiographs, flexion tests, etc, then people will advertise and sell the horse as 'sound.' 'Sound' NOT being equal to 'perfect physical specimen.'

Which is one reason why you have to ask a LOT of questions. And preferably get full disclosure of all recent vet work/records. People will inject the hell out of a horse and then sell it as 'sound.' The catch here is, that if you are talking 'performance' horse, then the people (in this neck of the woods) have the finances and motivation to continue with the veterinary work on the horse in order to keep it doing it's job.

Enough people (competitive folks) would rather have a super, reliable horse that they have to support with lots of vet work, over a less reliable horse that is perfect physically.