The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are people just not buying saddles right now?

As some of you know, I just recently sold my horse and got "out" of horses for a while. While I've kept a few odds and end things, I'm selling msot of my horse stuff because I just don't need it anymore, it's taking up space, and I could really use the extra money. I've had my saddle for sale for....3? 4? months, and I've had exactly 2 phonecalls about it. I'm getting really frustrated, while I don't have to pay for it to sit around my house, I would really like to have that money to help pay some bills, as $$$ is tight with the holidays...

I've got it listed on all the usual sites. I've made fliers. It's a nice brand, nice quality, sells for over 2K brand new, and I think I'm asking the same, or less, than what used ones are selling for online. Plenty of pics, info, heck, I'm even throwing in the leathers and irons with it. The local tack stores are a rip off so I don't really want to consign or sell to them, if I can help it. Mods, please edit if this is too "advertise-y"

What gives? Is there something I can do to make my ads more appealing? Or is it really just a bad time for selling right now?
    Last edited by talkofthetown; Dec. 19, 2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: forgot something

It is not a great time to sell a saddle in general and if it's not a very popular saddle, most people expect a used saddle to be selling at a significant discount from new. In the last few years I've bought two saddles that sold for 4K+ new. I paid less than 1K for each (and they were in very nice shape). When I resold one of them, I marketed it well and sold it for $1600. I made money and the new buyer thought they'd gotten a good deal.

I bought another saddle last year that sells for a bit over $2K that was only a few months old for $900 and it came with leathers and jointed irons.

I had this discussion once with one of the big consignment tack stores. They told me if the saddle isn't selling and you need the money, lower the price. If you need to get the price, you may need to wait until the right buyer comes along.

Sometimes it's better to have cash in hand than a saddle that's worth $$$. Other times it's better to wait.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

While prices are lower on ebay, a lot of saddles are selling there. I'm seeing expensive saddles go for a lot less than I paid for mine over a decade ago.

I just bought one. Like I need a 6th saddle with 2 horses! But it was a very rare and nice saddle, and I got it after the original purchaser defaulted on her bid for it on ebay.

I don't know how much sellers pay in fees there, but I've bought now 2 saddles on ebay, both from overseas, and both have been terrific saddles.

Thanks. I thought I was on the right track pricewise (asking $500 for a $2.5K saddle) but I might lower it and just see what happens. I'll look into ebay again, I haven't had the best luck there before but you never know.

Don't sell on eBay! Due to the new buyer protection plan, sellers are at great risk of getting ripped off by an unscrupulous buyer. There was recently a thread in the Eventing forum IIRC about a woman who sold a very nice County saddle and the buyer had it reflocked in an attempt to fit her horse then made some lame excuse to the seller about the piping not being even and eBay made her take it back and refund the money even though the seller seriously altered the saddle.

I'm dealing with an issue with a buyer now who bought a cell phone from me on eBay and is making rediculous claims about it in an attempt to get a refund. It's a pure case of buyer's remorse but at the instant the claim went in, eBay took the funds from my account and held them in escrow until the case is resolved. I'm fighting it but fully convinced that I will likely lose.

Saddles don't sell very well this time of year. Saddles are a personal purchase and one that someone is going to make for themselves. With all the buying people are doing for others right now, they're less apt to buy for themselves. You'll probably have more luck in the spring once show season is warming up and tax returns are going out.

4 members found this post helpful.

Oooh, I do remember seeing that post. Guess it's good that I've avoided ebay.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you have any friends or associates that ride at barns where this saddle might be wanted? Could you make up fliers and post them at those barns and the feed store, etc?

Hold off until the spring. A couple of years ago I sold a nice close contact saddle on USEA's classified. Got a great price for it too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Close to me there is a FB group who barters horse tack. No selling is allowed. So, say you need panels or fencing or a small tractor or whatever, people just swap. That doesn't help you with money but you might get something you need for around your place without cracking open the wallet.

Also, a saddle doesn't cost anything to sit there, so, I'm thinking later in Spring when people start up riding again might be a better time to sell. I've had luck selling tack when a horse sale is going on locally.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Don't sell on eBay! Due to the new buyer protection plan, sellers are at great risk of getting ripped off by an unscrupulous buyer. There was recently a thread in the Eventing forum IIRC about a woman who sold a very nice County saddle and the buyer had it reflocked in an attempt to fit her horse then made some lame excuse to the seller about the piping not being even and eBay made her take it back and refund the money even though the seller seriously altered the saddle.
    That is not how it turned out. Read the thread for yourself. The buyer did have a saddle fitter out to adjust the saddle. He made slits in the panels to reflock, then returned the saddle because she claimed defects. Seller could never make it fit her horse so who is to say? eBay refunded the buyer, and the seller fought it and won. Both parties got refunds and the seller had her saddle back and sold it for not much less than the original selling price on eBay. Multiple actual saddle fitters weighed in on the slits and agreed they were SOP.

I have been outbid on several saddles recently, so I would disagree on how saddles are selling on eBay. If you do it right with the right pictures and measurements, you would find there's a market.

If it's a 17.5 dressage saddle, PM me.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I'm about to pull my saddle from consignment and put it on E-bay. She's had my Stackhouse since July and I've not heard one peep. I've got to get it sold to help pay for the new County due in February.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Barry: It is against the rules. No advertising permitted. Please delete your post before the Mods whack ya
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

ChocoMare: Thanks for the heads up! I wonder why they don't have a "For Sale" section like other forums?? That would be a great addition!

Thanks!
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by barrydt102 View Post
    ChocoMare: Thanks for the heads up! I wonder why they don't have a "For Sale" section like other forums?? That would be a great addition!

Thanks!
    Barry
    They do, you have to pay for ads.

Ahhh, I see. Many of the forums I participate in have free "For Sale" sections. Thanks for the info!!

Sell it on EventingNation.com. I sold my Stackhouse there the first day I posted it and had multiple calls about it.

I agree that saddle sell better in the spring.

You also need to find the right audience. If you have a brand (like Stackhouse) which is favored by eventers, then you don't want to go on eBay with it. EN charges $15 or something like that to run the ad and takes no commission.

FWIW, the thread that was mentioned about the eBay disaster ended well: eBay refunded the buyer and the seller for the saddle. She went on to sell the saddle on a consignment shop and I believe donated the bulk of the proceeds to an equine charity.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    I'm about to pull my saddle from consignment and put it on E-bay. She's had my Stackhouse since July and I've not heard one peep. I've got to get it sold to help pay for the new County due in February.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    FWIW, the thread that was mentioned about the eBay disaster ended well: eBay refunded the buyer and the seller for the saddle. She went on to sell the saddle on a consignment shop and I believe donated the bulk of the proceeds to an equine charity.
    You're right, it did end well but there was a lot of heartache leading up to it and it was really due to a clerical error that there was a happy ending for both parties. It very nearly didn't turn out that way. Not worth the heartache IMHO.

Thanks for all the help, I didn't realize Eventing Nation had a classified section. (I've been under a rock )

Bristol Bay, it's not, sorry!

If there is anyone near you that does tack consignments thatcan work too.

I sold one of my saddles via a friend who does consignments and even with her commission I got more than I paid for it.

My second saddle I sold with her I got slightlyless than what I paid for it after comission but I still did very well and both were sold in less than a month.

I have sold saddles on my own but the person I sold my saddles through has a great network so she was faster than I was on my own and got me a better price.

Now hopefully my horse will wer a saddle for more than a year!
    My blog:

RAWR

I've had my dressage saddle on consignment since February and it JUST sold. They told me I should be getting a check within the next couple of weeks. But yeah, it freakin' took FOREVER. I had one offer on it for much less than I wanted which I turned down, and when I spoke to the tack store in November, they told me that it had gone out on trial a bunch of times, but something about it just never quite worked out. I had also tried to sell it privately, but it was kind of a hard sell because while it's a nice, well-made saddle, the brand isn't super popular or well-known and the leather isn't ultra buttery soft like what a lot of people want nowadays. Maybe if I'd have stuck with it, I could have sold it on my own, but because of it being an unpopular brand, it probably really needed to be in a store somewhere so people could judge the quality for themselves and where there was a saddle fitter to help them. Whatever...I'm just thrilled that it's finally off the books.

My Toulouse Premia, however, sold via Craigslist for more than I paid for it and within 2 days.

I bought my County from a consignment store in October and I feel like I got it for a great deal. No idea what the seller paid for it, but I paid well under $2,000 and it is in super condition.

So really, I think it just depends on the brand, seat size, tree width, etc. But if yours is really nice and if you think it's worth a lot more than what you are selling it for and you don't actually NEED to sell it right away, I'd hold onto it for a bit longer and see if you get any bites.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."