The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cat with an eye infection

My 8 year old cat has an upper respiratory infection and an eye infection. I took her to the Vet Monday morning and she was given a shot of antibiotics (to ward off a secondary infection), and Gentocin Oph. drops (one in each eye twice/day) and half a Zyrtec once per day for the sneezing.

Her sneezing is better, but her eyes appear to have no change. Is this normal for eye infections? I plan to call the Vet this afternoon to see if we need to bring her back; but in the mean time I am bringing my cat care to the COTHer's with more experience.

She is an indoor kitty, her appetite is good, drinks fine, appears more lethargic, and was at the Vet office 12 days ago for a skin allergy. (which is where I think she picked up this virus).

Am I expecting too much too soon?

Short nose, pug-faced cat or one with a normal snout?

It could be that she's rubbing the discharge from her nose into her eyes and stagnating any good the eye drops are doing on that particular infection. It might be that once her respiratory infection clears up, her eyes will follow.

1 members found this post helpful.

Normal snout. She hasn't had nasal discharge, except for clear "go everywhere" when she sneezes.

But that is a possible reason. I decided to wait until morning to call the Vet, but I will update afterward.

Did the vet talk to you about feline herpes at all?

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-ca...re-herpes.aspx

Lysine can aid if that's what's going on with your kitty.

Did the vet stain either eye to check for ulcers? Looks like it's not uncommon with an active herpes infection.

Second the eye stain. I had a kitty with a corneal ulcer a couple of months ago, and it showed up bright and clear (in neon green) with the stain. I had two different drops to do several times a day, and it cleared up in a matter of days.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Educate me on the Herpes thing. She is the only cat and stays indoors except for an occasional swing on the porch.

I suppose I got over anxious...because the evening after I posted the eyes started looking much better! yay! She is still pink in one eye, but both eyes are open fully and very little tearing now. I can tell she feels much better. Poor kitty had a rough few days.