The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

My all-time favourite dates back to the heydays of rec.equestrian, and very young readers will probably not "get" this as it's a silly cultural reference. Here goes:

Someone (I name no names) had acquired a very nice pony for a young daughter, but wanted to come up with a really great name because he came with the name "Prince" which Mom felt was boring and derivative... and also worried that there might be three or four ponies called "Prince" in any given class at any given show. Suggestions flew thick and fast. I don't even remember what name finally carried the day, but I can still make myself snort with laughter when I think of the best (according to me, anyway) suggestion:

The Pony Formerly Known as Prince.
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    this would've been like 2007-08ish...omg i would love if it were the same horse!! is she chestnut?
    Too bad, not the same horse. I looked the one you named up on pedigree query, sadly, the obgyn I knew was at least 17 years old before she passed in a tragic pasture accident. She too, though, was a bag of bones before my friend got her and gave her a great life.
    BTW, your in box is full, I tried to send you a pm.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I stand by the CANTER PA listing from years ago...The poor horses name was "Our Roach".

Amateurs, all of you. My first horse had the worst name----ever. Bimbo's Crazy King. Just stupid.

Stunning Appy, my upper level dressage horse. STUPID name. His dam was Crazy Excuse and his sire was Prince's Bimbo (by Prince Plaudit.) I always wondered why they didn't call him Bimbo's Crazy Kid, until I miraculously ran into his older brother at a show with that name.

When I started showing dressage I was in my defiant, annoyed by all of the stupid German horse names phase, so I registered and showed him under Bymbeaux. It was funny as hell listening to announcers trying to say his name in a cool way, and I could see judge's pronouncing it as I'd rider down the centerline and figure out how to say it and start laughing.

5 members found this post helpful.

I remember a TB named Turkeyfoot Road. I owned a TB mare named Woody's Amni. Hubby shod a mare named Hellb*tch. And another named Barmaid. Found a pony for a kid who named him Prince Donut....

Jennifer

I used to have a horse named Fad Dancer. Ick lol

I've known a gelding named Doobie, and a mare named Oprah.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Oh I love pony names, favorite by far... Turtle. Or Gimli (he is not a happy pony, mean kicker to boot!).

I knew a cremello named Midnight. Also a dipstick Paint that bashed his head up in the trailer on the way over and was named Staples from that adventure (ie was stapled back together).

I think some of the current QH names can be goofy when you end up with Skippo Bar Leo King Zip or whatever. How many ancestors can you fit into one name?

I am fond of my baby's name though. I am sure people think it is goofy until they think about it.

My husband is a Marine Corps veteran and he has always lived by the saying/belief that there is no greater honor than to lay your life down for your country.

So, he named our first foal "No Greater Honor".

He said he wants to name the next one Pursuit of Glory

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    I used to ride one named Shooby...that would have been a pair-Shooby Doobie

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    Ahh, any other aging hippies here that used to melt some mane leaning over to light up?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Pasde2 View Post
    The Pony Formerly Known as Prince.
    That is brilliant, and I hope they did show the pony under that name!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Standardbreds currently racing a the local track include Dimebag, Off The Menu and I have to question just why would you name a trotter I Gotta Run?

One race that made me laugh to listen too was when Retail was in the same race with Don't Drag Me Shopping.

One of my favorites both in name and horses is Golden Trip. But he's my baby, so maybe I'm a we bit biased. Would make a great name for a show horse!
    ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

I made the acquaintance of a man on a trail ride once riding a gorgeous little gaited palomino named Little Gay Pony. When I asked why the name, he said he called him that because he was so dainty (said he was part Arabian and certainly looked it) and had a high-pitched whinny that made him sound "gay".

Turned out he was riding the pony up there that weekend to sell him. Nice little horse too, sleek and shiny, smooth and silk under saddle, easy on the eyes, impeccable manners and the perfect size for a small adult/large child. Once word got out there was a steady line of people stopping by the guy's campsite after the first day to look at him and he was snapped up by a family in no time at all. I imagine the first thing they did was change his name.

Perfect Projectile on my OTTB(his registered name) - Enuf said ! BTW he was not fast at all

My horse's JC name is Isleshowthedevil.

I also knew a jumper once that was named Harvey Wallbanger.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Harvey Wallbanger.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

My off the track appendix is named "Strollin Spirit." I hate it.

I think it sounds as if a horse crazy young girl named him. Though, I suppose it kind of made sense with his sire (Coup de Kas) and dam (Strollin Roon).

I have been sorely tempted to change it but I think it would cost a fortune with at least three organizations I would have to pay to update everything.
    My blog:

RAWR

TB's seem to get the worst, in the naming dept.

I once looked at a 4 yr. old TB mare off the track as a potential broodmare. Lovely, feminine rose-grey mare....still very racing fit when I saw her.

Her name was "Aunt Blabby". Egad!

Of course the name is not why I didn't buy her...too light-boned in the leg for my breeding program.

Who the heck would name a little filly FOAL Aunt Blabby?.

There was a horse at a show once- I think an app- named Butt Neigh Kid. You can imagine how that came acrossed when it was announced that the next competitor was so and so riding Butt Neigh Kid...

My TB's registered name is BB Bullett. Including the double T. Really.