The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

My mare's dam was named Sum One's Kow. Now I'm hoping "Kow" isn't pronounced "Cow," but...how else would you pronounce it?

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I once had a STB mare named Precious Daisy. Her previous owner called her Precious. I called her Daisy. No way was I calling a big chestnut mare Precious.
    Oh, I wouldn't be able to resist...

"She's mine.... my own... my prrrrrrrrecioussssssssssssssss"
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Saw a horse run the other day... Fuzzywuzzywuzabear :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Mine haven't had horrible names, my favorites have been my WP Quarter Horse, registered name was Classical Wiseguy. God I loved that horse. Barn name was Bubba.
    My heart horse's registered name? Woody. Barn name? Woody.
    Current horsie's names are:
    My loffly Dutch/TB mare Chinook...she came with the name, (I don't ever change them) barn name is Nook or Mamma.
    My handsome TB, registered name is Just Call Me Jake, barn name...Jake.

My favorite horsie name is a TB that one of my friends had. Registered name was Thequestionremains. Barn name was Eli.
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

I think the weirder the name, the better - especially when it comes to barn names. Heck, my horse's barn name is Frisbee. Like....a Frisbee.

But I also love horses that have people names. CRACKS ME UP. Like, "Oh, this is my horse. His name is Jeff."

I'd love to get a mare and have her show name be Princess Consuela Bananahammock.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

3 members found this post helpful.

My TB is named Agressive Brass. I don't use that as his show name. When I got him, he came with the barn name Spud, which I love. I decided to choose a show name related to potatoes. The kids wanted me to name him Mr. Potato Head, (which would suit him) but I named him Katahdin, which in addition to being the name of a nearby mountain (he is a tall horse) is also the name of a type of potato. It sounds very fancy, too. We have a POA pony who came with the name Sassy, we show her as Don't Sass Me, which suits her just fine. The pony we just lost came with the barn name Vegas, but she was a little gray araby thing and my daughter and I were reading Mrs Frisby and The Rats of NIMH so we used Mrs Frisby as her show name. My daughter's new pony came with the name Tequila, but we changed it to Bellatrix. She is Belle in the barn.

My mom had a boarder for a few years - an absolutely drop dead gorgeous upper level dressage horse. This horse just oozed elegance in both looks and demeanor (as did his owner I forget what his show name was but it was D______ P_______, barn name D.P. Mom had a girl working for her that had a really thick accent and somehow the oh so elegant D.P. became known as "Dippy".
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    But I also love horses that have people names. CRACKS ME UP. Like, "Oh, this is my horse. His name is Jeff."

The horse I had before the present one was reg. "Viking Grog." Seller called him "Grog." Uh...NO. He was a chestnut Appy, so Viking/chestnut: Erik the Red, barn name "Erik." (I did show him under his registered name, tho.) My present horse is reg. "Confetti's Magic Marker," so....he's "Mark." LOL

I remember an arabian stallion named Barn Fire. I understand why but thought that was a terrible name for a horse.

When I did the TB yearling sales, most of them hadn't been named yet so they were called out to be shown by their mare's name - one of the mares was Nice Assay which by the end of the day usually ended up sounding more like nice ass ay, especially when the guys from Australia got a hold of it!

1 members found this post helpful.

The Appy I just sold was Zip Poe Liter. I think they were going for "lighter," an instrument to create fire, but then ended up with "Liter," a unit of liquid measurement. To be sure there was no confusion at shows, I used his barn name of Max and combined it with the fact that he was a palomino roan blanket Appy to come up with "Maximum Pixels." Unfortunately, over the crappy loudspeaker, the crowd heard "Max Is A Pistol." *facepalm*

My 3 yr old came with an awful name "Spilled Milk"......blech.....he's not even grey! Name is now changed
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Arelle View Post
    AQHA mare I used to own: Sissy Gay Gal.
    I just laughed really loudly in the office at this! That's awful!

My Appendix QH's registered AQHA name is Ima Shakey Gal. Barf!

There is also a gelding at the retirement place I boarded my old horse, named SKANKY! I've always felt bad for that horse - I wonder if he was a terrible colt or something and his owners disliked him?

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    My 3 yr old came with an awful name "Spilled Milk"......blech.....he's not even grey! Name is now changed
    well, they probably needed a reminder not to cry...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by AllisonWunderlund View Post
    My mom had a boarder for a few years - an absolutely drop dead gorgeous upper level dressage horse. This horse just oozed elegance in both looks and demeanor (as did his owner I forget what his show name was but it was D______ P_______, barn name D.P. Mom had a girl working for her that had a really thick accent and somehow the oh so elegant D.P. became known as "Dippy".
    Ehhhh.... I would not want a horse called anything that could be made into an x-rated reference. (Urban dictionary it if you don't know). So DP would be an absolute no go. Dippy is a fine alternative.

2 members found this post helpful.

We have a grey AQHA mare who's registered name is Zips Old Martha... I have always thought that was a terrible name...
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    worked at a tb rehab/training barn...heard lots of weird ones. the one i'll never forget was poor ohbeegeewhyen. O_o she was so sweet, too. i felt sorry for her (not just bc of her name). she was so nerous and came off the track a bag of bones with all kinds of problems and went right back. wish i could have rescued her. i still feel guilty about that to this day.
    How long ago was this??? My friend had a mare with that name, I believe she was raced in FL but I could be mistaken. She WAS a bag of bones when my friend bought her.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

My goofy little Morgan was named "Redemptor". The owner used to puff out his chest and say his name as if he was going into battle with him or something
    His was the only name I ever changed out of the ten horses I own.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

this would've been like 2007-08ish...omg i would love if it were the same horse!! is she chestnut?
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

One of the camp string horses I learned to ride on was a leopard appy names Measles. That's kind of sad, now that I look back on it!