The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I had a TB gelding "Hemptastic" barn name was "The Weedman"
    So lame

I love scanning the race entries for funny names. There was a horse who ran last weekend named "Back Seat Roll" lol. My friend has a racehorse named Obamano (he speaks Spanish).

Used to work for a trainer who had an owner who named most of the horses "Go _____ Go" (fill in the blank with names of various family members). Wasn't bad just one horse named like that, but imagine having 4-5 horses at a time in the barn with those names. Go Barney Go and Go Emmitt Go raced against each other once. I was so hoping to have them come down the stretch together just to hear the announcer try and call that one!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

my first horse when I was 8 was an unhandled 4 year old breeding stock paint stallion! (eep!) named jet white stockins . We called him toby, until he got sold. I wonder what ever happened to him...
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

worked at a tb rehab/training barn...heard lots of weird ones. the one i'll never forget was poor ohbeegeewhyen. O_o she was so sweet, too. i felt sorry for her (not just bc of her name). she was so nerous and came off the track a bag of bones with all kinds of problems and went right back. wish i could have rescued her. i still feel guilty about that to this day.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

1 members found this post helpful.

I worked with a TB filly JC named Spanked... Also another that summer was Ima Caution. And the poor Storm Cat lines, Magic Kitty...sweet cute filly, felt bad for that poor gal!

Always hated my old horse's JC name of For Gain, really that's the best you can come up with?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Two great pony names- Pinto Grigio and Bippity Boppity Blue. Sadly, the latter isn't a blue roan, but it did win one of its classes the day I saw it so that works.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I had a little QH pony in training who's name was "Smart Gay Trouble". His personality fit that to a "T". His barn name was Trouble and we showed him as "Double Trouble"

My SF is registered as Fils Du Reverdy, but I showed him under Reverdy as the announcers completely butchered it.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Thank you!! My Granny raised beautiful Appaloosas and so I cut my teeth on them...

Another horse she brought in (not bred and raised by her) was named Two Bits. I guess we could tell what she was worth...

My aunt was the only person that could ride her, and ride her she did!!! My earliest memories was of Aunty Barb and Two Bits full out bucking for about 10 mins, and Barb stuck the whole time. This was their ritual every time they rode. Barb would have enough after a bit and then holler "Ooooowwwww!" In fun, and Two Bits would stop and be the model mare. She was a buttermilk buckskin.

ETA, you guys have some awesome stories!!! I'll share more when I'm not posting from my phone. It's a PITA.

Thanks for playing along!!!
    Last edited by Jane Honda; Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: I was quoting someone about the Bitteroot Mountains and the forum ate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Two good thoroughbreds, both stakes winners:

Bodacious Tatas
    Isitingood
    Mara!!! <3

Oh, lawdy! Where you been? I miss you! Call me. I've been through five phones since I've talked to you last and not all my people survive in my phone.
    I remember those horses! My dear, sweet, inncocent (pffft... Bwahahhah!!!) Granny loved those names and would watch the stakes races just to hear those names. I never did get it until just now...
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

1 members found this post helpful.

Had an appendix mare in for boarding/training named Death Breath by the TB sire Dog Breath
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Default The Worst!

Good 3 year old TB of 1960, I think. Won Flamingo and Florida Derby, 2nd in Derby, won Preakness.
    Sire was Ballydam (IRE) and colt was named:
    BALLY ACHE
    (died before going to stud, possibly of colic) Yikes!

No worries, I have the same problem! PM me your number. . . .I have a bunch of time off after tomorrow and we can figure out a time to talk and catch up!

My sister bought an American Paint Pony registered as All Painted Up, barn name Boomer. He didn't respond to the name Boomer. My sister accidentally got in the habit of naming horses after cities. We've had/have Tulsa, Phoenix, Brixen, and Dublin. So Boomer... Boomer Sooners (Oklahoma!)... The Sooners of OU... OU is in Norman, Oklahoma. I asked All Painted Up is his real name was Norman and he immediately came to me. So his barn name is Norman and he seems to like it. We never knew Phoenix' previous name but he came to us 300# under weight with horrible rain rot and rose from the ashes so to speak to become a show HJ at a nearby college. Brixen had been Prince to his absentee owner and Red to the BO. Brixen is a beautiful little town in northern Italy. We had tested numerous other names at he ignored but he turned around in his stall and looked at me the instant I asked if his name could be Brixen. I love when the horses let me know when they like a new name!

"got milk?"-a great name for virtually any paint horse.

I once had a STB mare named Precious Daisy. Her previous owner called her Precious. I called her Daisy. No way was I calling a big chestnut mare Precious.

At a barn where I once worked, we had a mare whose JC name was Wicked Wench.

One barn had two different horses named Jack, both were kind of obnoxious and in public, we called them Jack One and Jack Two. In private, they were Jack On and Jack Off.

I leased a TB whose registered name was Potentially Nasty.

There was a harness racer named Darrell Waltrip, after the NASCAR driver.

At my old boarding barn, we had a mini for a while that was named Pooper, since that was about all he was good for.

I just remembered some ponies I used to board 40 years ago. They were in the same line and had the word Cherry in their names. Cherry Sundae, Cherry Soda Pop and yes....Cherry Bomb.

And I know I've mentioned my friend who had two horses at the same time named Kibles Kabear (spelling?) and Little Bits. So they had...wait for it....Kibbles and Bits. True.

This mare was and is the reason why I will never own another mare - her name was Sweetbriar, barn name Sweetie. She was anything but sweet. Nastiest horse I have ever seen, you had to take a pitchfork into her stall when she was in season to protect yourself.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

OTTB with registered name "Trailer Park Romeo." We called him Kid Rock at the barn.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post

And I know I've mentioned my friend who had two horses at the same time named Kibles Kabear (spelling?) and Little Bits. So they had...wait for it....Kibbles and Bits. True.
    Dog drooled over them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I just remembered some ponies I used to board 40 years ago. They were in the same line and had the word Cherry in their names. Cherry Sundae, Cherry Soda Pop and yes....Cherry Bomb.
    I was looking at a ASB filly, not registered yet, by Northern Kiss out of a mare named Cherry something. The possibilites for lewd, tasteless names out of that combination is almost limitless!