The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Still missing my sweet boy ... a year ago today

I put my dear sweet Murphy dog to sleep a year ago today. It absolutely was the right thing to do and the right time to do it.

But boy do I still miss this sweet little guy. He was the perfect dog - he tried so very hard to please me, was always by my side, and kept his younger 'brother' in line when needed LOL. If Buddy got too rowdy running playing with his toys, Murph would chase him barking, as if he were sayin 'HEY IDIOT ! NOT IN THE HOUSE!!'.

Murphy also picked ME at the shelter. My ex and I went to check out dogs at the local shelter because we both had them as kids and wanted one of our own. We passed by Murphy's kennel 2x and each time we did, he went ballistic with his sheltie high-jumps. So, we took him out to see how he walked on a leash - and the little stinker walked us right over to our car and then stood there looking back at us as if he were saying 'ABout time you got here, let's go home !'. How could we resist that ? He had his name before we finished signing the paperwork.

I had him over 15 years and he was about a year old when we got him. He lived a good long life and he only really began to decline the last few months. He was so my heart dog in every way possible, and I still miss him terribly.

I am going to my friends later to leave some of his favorite treats on his grave. And I know I'll be bawling my eyes out for him.

Had to put down 3 this year and 1 last year. 3 cats, 2 littermates that lived with me for 17 and 18 years. The other was our dog, a stray, who was skin and bones when she found us.
    They are greatly missed. I am so thankful for the remaining barn kitties who entertain us each day.

Hugs to you.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

1 members found this post helpful.

Had many dogs over a lifetime, worked with our local performance dog club.
    Some years ago I lost my border collie to a rattler.
    I didn't get another dog for 4 years.
    I still kept helping with the dog club classes and shows.
    Finally got my little dog now seven years ago and she is still doing great.
    The memories of losing each dog we lose never go away.
    Depending on the circumstances, it takes as long as it takes to move on.
    All is part of who we are, the losses also.
    Hope you are moving on, not anxious about the inevitable losses.

I can never be without a dog. When I lose one I replace it as soon as circumstances permit. Not that I am actually "replacing" the lost dog, just opening a new space in my heart with the new one. Having multiples help, but I admit there are some who are more special than others, although I love them (pretty much) equally. Hugs to you on this sad anniversary.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

{Hugs} to you...every special animal has a piece of your soul with them, and they are forever connected with you
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

My other dog really seemed lost without his friend. Very clingy to me and out of sorts and anxious. He'd never been an only dog and he and Murphy had been 'brothers' for 9 years. So I did get another wonderful little guy not too long after Murphy was gone, and I love them both dearly.

I do still think of dear old Murphy frequenty and am missing him especially today. My family has never been understanding when it comes to loosing an animal, but thankfully I have wonderful friends who so get it.

((hugs))

It's not easy. But man, we're lucky to have them, aren't we?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I just let go of my Murphy a week ago (12/17). My Murph was a cat - but I understand the missing of their presence.

I can't imagine a time when I won't miss my buddy - as yours was your heart dog, mine was my heart cat. He went through a lot of milestones with me.

{{HUGS}} for you.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

I am so sorry, Roxy. It is always a hard thing.

I have found this of some comfort, and hope you may as well.

Fragile Circle

‎"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
    Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
    We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
    never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Irving Townsend.

Christmas time has always been pretty sad for me. Lost my dad 20+ years ago around Christmas, my first Heart horse the next year, other pets over the years and last year we lost Ambush, our Boeboel youngster on the OR table on Dec. 27. This is not a "Merry" time for me!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I am so sorry! It is just never, ever easy no matter how right the decision feels, still such a loss!! Murphy (cat AND dog) sounds like a wonderful companion! I sure miss mine and it wil totally break my heart whenI lose the ones I have. But I love the time I have with them, and feel like I will have an army over the rainbow bridge when I get there! Hope your day was okay,as good as it could be.

On 12/17/11 I lost my Murphy at only 3 in an awful accident. It's been a year and it simultaneously feels like yesterday and a lifetime ago.

My heart goes out to y'all who lost your Murphys.

Thanks for the kind thoughts ... and {{hugs}} to everyone else who has lost a Murphy

Default it's our first Christmas since we lost our beloved Miles

The World's best Corgi.

The most beautiful, smartest, most loyal friend ever.

We miss him every day, and it's been nearly a year now.

Two weeks ago we had a huge spruce tree moved out on the hill near his grave.

We can see it from the house now.

There won't be another.

I spent most of yesterday in tears, missing my Big Fuzzy Dog. It just hit me like a ton of bricks out of nowhere. I know how you feel. ((()))
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry