The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eeek...quick etiquette question, tipping dog walker/business owner

I usually tip people who provide personal services one weeks pay at Holiday time (cleaning lady or dog walker in our case).

I just assumed I'd do so again this year, BUT we have a new dog walker. The hairy part is that the owner of the business walks our dog himself, he runs a business that covers quite a few towns and he has 16 employees. I'm not sure now that a tip is appropriate in these circumstances.

I don't have a gift, as I just assumed I was going to give cash. He's coming today for the last time before Christmas and, since I leave for work at 7am, I can't run out and get a bottle of wine really quickly or anything. Ugh.

I know you don't usually tip small business owners, but what if they provide the service directly themselves?

I got a gift card for BaxterBoo. They printed it off themselves and left it in a card.

Bless you for being a tipper on personal services.

The dog walker is a little bit of a tough one, since he's the owner. I know people say not to tip owners etc when it comes to restaurants and some other businesses, but, he's taking care of you himself. It's a total guess, but I bet the tips for his employees stay right in their own pocket and don't get shared, so he's probably not getting a cut of that.

If you really like his work, and want to show your appreciation, go ahead and give him a cash tip. He'll let you know if he doesn't think it's appropriate and won't be offended. My guess is he'll really really appreciate it and continue to give you the type of service his business model is based on. It's a great way to let him know he's on base with the care with which he provides you the service.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I don't think a tip would be a problem, but you could certainly do an Amazon gift card or something if it made you feel more comfortable.