The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crosspost from Dressage forum, looking for indoor arenas in southcentral PA

Hello:

We keep our horses at home (in Carlisle), but I'm thinking about boarding one horse this winter where I could ride in an indoor. I'm interested in the general Carlisle/Mechanicsburg area, although any place close to Harrisburg might work if I decide to go this route.

Without getting into the quality/personalities of the various resident trainers (I don't necessarily want to take lessons), can anyone recommend a place with an indoor, and give me a price? (And if lessons are a requirement, please let me know).

Thanks
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Well I'm more to the east of you, but I recalled following a post on here over the summer about jumper shows at two barns in the Carlisle Area that I assumed might have the indoor you were looking for.
    The farms mentioned were Heritage Acres in Dillsburg and Hollyhurst in Carlisle. I was able to find sites for them both online if you want to Google them, and Heritage Acres is $500/month for board, while Hollyhurst's is unlisted. Decent pics of the facilities are shown. Not sure if that is helpful for you or not, but thought it might be worth a shot. Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

I picked up a horse at Hollyhurst for my trainer a few years ago. BO came out and loaded the horse (he was one of her sale horses). He had never been on a two horse trailer before and was a bit hesitant. She was really patient about letting him look but still firm enough to get him on. I would have no problems letting her handle one of my horses.

The facility is really nice and the horses were all in good weight. I did not go into the indoor only one of the barns so can't comment on the rings.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the posts & PMs - all are appreciated. Keep 'em coming - I am hoping there is something near I-81 or Rt. 11 (there may not be) because I drive those roads several times/week & it would be convenient, if I decide to ride through the winter. [I don't go past either Heritage or Hollyhurst very often, although they are both less than a half hour from me.]
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Winsome Farm in Newville is just a short drive from you... Newville exit off I-81 and about another 10 minutes, or you can take the easy backroads. Very nice large indoor with sprinkler system. Sue Butt is the owner and prices are reasonable. Stall and pasture board. Big outdoor, trails and small cross country jumps, too. Mixed bag of boarders. And, though I've been out of touch for some time, outside trainers were always welcome.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com