The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default After OCD surgery...Inject, Adequan, or Oral Supps?

I'd like to hear other experiences on what they have done after OCD surgery. The aftercare instructions suggest I put him on their brand of oral supplements for a month or do a course of Adequan. The last time I had OCD surgery done, the surgeon suggested that we inject the joint when the stitches were removed.

My then yearling had bilateral hock surgeriess and we did injections initially and then once a bit down the road and then Pentosan.

I've had OCD surgery or two different horses, both stifles. First one, joint injections were done....can't recall exact timing, but first time was soon after surgery and second time as layup was progressing to getting him back into some work.

Second time, we did adequan initially (full series) and I think legend as well. I don't remember joint injections being recommended, but when he was checked after layup and as he was to start an exercise program, I think the vet did inject the joints.

If given the choice of injectable vs oral, I choose the former as I know it gets in there and works.

I wouldn't inject the joint but would do Adequan IM - that's what we would do with the yearlings after an OCD surgery. IM Adequan and Calphormin on their feed

One thing about it, each case is different and probably the best advice is that from the treating vet. I'm sure location, severity, age, etc. all factor into that advice, along with the current thinking and, at times, certain preferences each vet has.

One surgeon I worked for injected the joint while the horse was still anesthetized at surgery, then did a course of Adequan additionally. He also recommended Cosequin.

Thanks everyone! Both the surgeon and vet are saying to put him on their oral supplement. I've never been a big believer in the oral supplements but I guess I will give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Thanks everyone! Both the surgeon and vet are saying to put him on their oral supplement. I've never been a big believer in the oral supplements but I guess I will give them a try.
    For me it would depend on the damage. If there was arthritis in the joint I would do IRAP and adequan IM. If the joint was relatively clean then I would probably just do lindens and adequan and maybe the joint supplement as well.

We pretty much only use Pentosan normal or Gold/ Halo. We tend to swear by pentosan. The changes we have seen on x-rays are pretty impressive. They are all on Twydil PMC which helps with the bone density.

http://www.twydil.com/en-twyd/tools2/4.gam/fr4pmc.htm

P.