The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have:

2 rain sheets (use under 40F)
    2 med weight turnouts (15-40F)
    1 heavy weight turnout (really cold)
    2 fleece coolers (post workout drying)
    1 mesh cooler (for under fleece cooler or in summer)
    1 stable blanket (for use if its super cold under turnouts if needed)
    2 show sheets (cotton). (One for night of show and clean one for show)

I need to be able to rotate blankets when I wash one. Horse is in full work and not clipped but its very cold here in the midwest. I'd gladly live in a better climate and not use them LOL.

I have three: a waterproof sheet, a medium-weight Rambo turnout, and a fleece cooler. Horse is turned out during the day, never in inclement weather, and he has a nice stall with plenty of hay overnight... I'm in central PA, so the winter temps usually are below freezing at night, 30's during the day, with the occasional cold snap every now and then. Horse is and unclipped TB.

The sheet goes on not so much for temps, but because my horse is a filthy hog in turnout this time of year and comes in covered ears-to-hooves in a solid sheet of mud. Every. Day. (And he hates being groomed, too. Winter grooming is just a hoot, let me tell ya.) The sheet is on when daytime temps are staying below 50 degrees.

The medium-weight Rambo, I haven't used in a couple of years. If we had a REALLY cold snap (daytime temps in the teens) I'd probably throw it on, but otherwise-- nah.

The fleece cooler is for drying out after rides...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Hmmm:

2 rain sheets, one with neck cover
    2 medium weight turnouts, one with neck cover
    1 heavy weight high neck turnout
    1 stable sheet, for shows
    1 wool cooler, for shows
    2 fleece coolers, for after working
    1 scrim/cotton cooler
    1 quarter sheet, for riding

All for one horse! That's depressing. Horse is grey and is clipped so at least we use all of them!

I am a big blanketer. I confess.

I dislike dirty horses. I dislike wet horses. I dislike dealing with wet dirty blankets but at least the horse under is not wet and dirty also.

So each horse has quite an assortment. Since I have three gelding who I do NOT trust to have a run-in (they are not mean but play very hard and they have the pony baby with them) everyone has appropriate turnout gear and spares.

They also have stalls but unless we are talking ice, they are outside and prefer it that way. I think its the best of both worlds.

Now, Nanny? She has a whole wardrobe. She is body clipped twice every winter and she has:

Two stable blankets, one heavy, one medium, BOTH pink.
    One fleece cooler in purple plaid.
    One high necked rain sheet.
    One regular rain sheet.
    One medium waterproof turnout with a detachable neck cover.
    One heavy turnout with a detachable neck cover.

And... Probably some more somewhere. But that is what is in th barn for the Queen.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

One that I own:
    - Rambo Optimo (so turnout sheet) with a 100g liner
    (this came with a 400g but no way will I ever need to use that!)
    - Schneiders 220g turnout
    - Schneiders fleece blanket liner with bellyband
    - Amigo turnout sheet (currently in shreds)
    - Schneiders fly sheet
    - Rambo fly sheet
    - Rambo velour cooler
    - some new cooler that we haven't used yet
    - nylon show sheet

If it's above 15C (60F), he gets nothing (fly sheet in summer).
    Plain turnout sheet for 15C to -15C (60F to 5F).
    Turnout with 100g liner from -15C to ...depends, usually around -25 without windchill I'll look at heavier. (so 5F to -13F)
    If it's below -25C, I'll put on the medium (220g), until about -40C. (so -13F to -40F).
    Below -40, he'll have the medium and the fleece liner.

Not clipped - the only time he's been clipped was last winter which was super mild, so we never really tested out what we would do if it was -40 and he was clipped.

He has the 100g liner on now - it's around -30C (-22F) with windchill right now, and he was perfectly warm under his blanket, so I left him with it.

One mid-weight waterproof turnout
    One mid-weight stable blanket
    Fleece dress sheet

I believe the mid-weights are 180-200 grams, I could be wrong. My gelding is clipped right now, living in a stall/run but in a week moving to a paddock with shelter. He has the stable blanket on now because he has solid shelter, next week he'll start wearing the turnout instead. I only use the dress sheet when we're trailering or at a show.

How do people without turnout sheets get by? You never have cool rainy days but not so cold it's blanket weather? I'm genuinely curious?!

I'm not talking about people who never sheet/blanket.... but those of you who do but only have blankets, not sheets?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

We have eight horses at any one time it seems like, 13-8 seems to be our population standard. Lived in southcentral Montana with very severe weather and now nw montana with balmy wet snowy winter (no wind!) and we have only had two blankets ever. We have one horse that always needs her blanket-she came from Washington state cold to us and she's never warmed up so she gets a good heavy blanket. The other was first for a sick horse and now it's whoever needs it at any given time for whatever reason.

Most of our horses get by with more hay but less clothes, thanks anyway.

And they're filthy. I don't use them enough in the winter to care about the filth-I'll knock it off in the spring.

2 members found this post helpful.

Since this is my current horse's first full winter with me, I am still acquiring blankets/ sheets as he did not fit into my last horse's clothes. What we have is:

2 Amigo turnout sheets- generally used 40-60 degree non-rainy days- light rain days (they aren't as waterproof as I would like)
    1 Rambo Wug turnout sheet- generally used in heavy rain 40-60 degree days
    1 Rambo 100 gram turnout blanket- getting a lot of use out this purchase; 25-40 degree days
    1 Rhino 200 gram turnout blanket- just gifted this today by another boarder who thought it didn't fit her horse anymore. Will probably use in 15-30 degree days

1 Rambo 200 gram turnout blanket- 15-30 degree days
    1 200 gram liner to be combined with 100 gram turnout- below 15 degrees
    1 300 gram liner to be combined with 100 gram turnout- sub-zero temps
    1 Dover Chillchaser- used quite a bit. Used for drying bathed horse in cooler temps (50-60 degrees) or after coming in from riding in the snow
    1 Weatherbeeta fleece cooler with attached neck cover- used if horse gets really sweaty in cold temps or if I HAVE to bathe him in colder weather- can be combined with chillchaser if needed
    1 Quarter sheet- haven't used it on the new horse yet, he's quirky and I don't know how well it will go over with him, but my last horse we used it all the time in the winter!

Edited to add: every horse that I have owned rolls in the mud so I do try to keep them covered as much as possible, for as long as possible!
    Last edited by ex-racer owner; Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added details

I recently ran across this:

NO BLANKETS...lol....here is the article....."Here is some information on winter blanketing that may surprise you. This is the result of a multi-year study done by CSU, using state of the art thermal detection equipment. Colorado State University is widely considered to be one of the top three equine veterinary schools in the country: Blanketing horses is one of the worst things that you can do to a horse in the winter. Horses have the ability to loft and lower their coats to 17 different levels, so it's like exchanging 17 different thermal weights of blankets off and on them all day and night, depending on what they need-except that we don't know what they need as well as they do. Their 'self-blanketing' process works a little like 'chill bumps' do in our own skin. That's why long-haired horses may seem fluffier on some days than on others. Only three things make the 'self-blanketing' process not work: blanketing, clipping, ...and wind. Not eve.
    ..n snow or rain stops their own thermostats from doing the job. Also horses are in 'neutral' (meaning not using energy for either heating or cooling) when the air around them is between 26 and 38 degrees. Otherwise, they're using energy to control their temps. So- since they're cooling their bodies when the temp is over 38 degrees, they're having to use extra energy to cool themselves when blanketed in temperatures over that. Any time a horse that is outside and has a long coat is shivering, it's because the horse has opted to shiver to warm itself, instead of using the option of moving. Moving generates a considerable amount of heat for a horse, but they sometimes stand and shiver while napping, etc. It does not mean that they need to be blanketed. However, a horse MUST have a way to get out of the wind in order for their self-blanketing' abilities to function fully. It turns out that blanketing is done more for pleasing the human, than to fill a need of the horse. The horse blanket industry has done a great job of making us think that their product is a necessary part of good horse keeping, when it is actually an item that is very seldom needed. "

I get the concept of no blanketing/sheets at all. One of my retired horses is like that.

What I don't quite understand is people who use blankets but no sheets.
    ~Veronica

I'm slowly trimming down my blanket stash. What I currently have at the barns:

Retiree: 1 light-medium turnout and 1 heavy weight. He wears the lighter one maybe a dozen times tops during the winter and the heavy one is only there for emergencies.

Fully clipped horse: Bucas all-in-one blanket (for under 55* and also serves as a cooler), turnout sheet, and stable sheet.

I have a sheet, a Tuffrider thermolined turnout, a Pessoa midweight, and a heavy turnout.

The only blanket I used all last year and the only one so far this year is the Tuffrider. It's really light and seems to keep him warm without getting sweaty. If he grew much in the way of coat I'd probably just go with a sheet for the wind but he doesn't have much hair at all.

He's in if it's raining or snowing and in at night. I wouldn't even bother with the blanket except that there is no shelter and it gets really windy in the pasture. As it is I'm the last to put a blanket on and the first to take it off.

I do have to admit that I like not having to chip off the layers of mud he accumulates when he's not blanketed. He seems to enjoy being covered in mud as much as he can.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    How do people without turnout sheets get by? You never have cool rainy days but not so cold it's blanket weather? I'm genuinely curious?!

I'm not talking about people who never sheet/blanket.... but those of you who do but only have blankets, not sheets?!
    I blanket during both weather sets that you mentioned. My gelding is clipped and blanketed for most of the time unless it happens to be dry out. Which it is not at this time in this part of California. He's comfortable with the way I blanket and is never too hot or too cold, as he's checked often.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I get the concept of no blanketing/sheets at all. One of my retired horses is like that.

What I don't quite understand is people who use blankets but no sheets.
    vfx:
    I own 2 sheets but can honestly say present horse (and pony) have never had one on. OK: horse arrived wearing his, but it went straight to the laundry, then shelved.
    Just.No.Need.

I'm in the Midwest and own one midweight (200g) blanket and one cooler apiece.

Blankets go on if we have heavy Winter rain or snow and I wake up or come home to wet horses.
    Wet = soaked through to the skin on their backs.
    Blankets generally come off if snow/rain has stopped by last 9P barncheck and they are toasty dry underneath them.

They have 24/7 access to stalls if they want. Mostly they don't "want".
    Even in a rain or snowstorm they are out most nights when I come down for tuckins.

I trotted out the blankets yesterday morning when the forecast said windchills down to single digits.
    But both were cozy warm - pony in his yak-coat and horse who in 3 years has never grown more than a plushy coat.
    Eartips warm: check
    Chests & bellies warm: check
    I overhayed both and left them to their own devices.
    Came home to comfortably warm horses.
    So no blankets all day.
    Last night temps were in the teens, but again bodychecks showed no need to blanket.

If I ride one into a sweat, a cooler goes on until they dry out, then nekkid again.

I will use a sheet - nylon, unlined - if I trailer somewhere in cold weather.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Quote Originally Posted by rtph View Post
    I recently ran across this:

NO BLANKETS...lol....here is the article....."Here is some information on winter blanketing that may surprise you. This is the result of a multi-year study done by CSU, using state of the art thermal detection equipment. Colorado State University is widely considered to be one of the top three equine veterinary schools in the country: Blanketing horses is one of the worst things that you can do to a horse in the winter. Horses have the ability to loft and lower their coats to 17 different levels, so it's like exchanging 17 different thermal weights of blankets off and on them all day and night, depending on what they need-except that we don't know what they need as well as they do. Their 'self-blanketing' process works a little like 'chill bumps' do in our own skin. That's why long-haired horses may seem fluffier on some days than on others. Only three things make the 'self-blanketing' process not work: blanketing, clipping, ...and wind. Not eve.
    ..n snow or rain stops their own thermostats from doing the job. Also horses are in 'neutral' (meaning not using energy for either heating or cooling) when the air around them is between 26 and 38 degrees. Otherwise, they're using energy to control their temps. So- since they're cooling their bodies when the temp is over 38 degrees, they're having to use extra energy to cool themselves when blanketed in temperatures over that. Any time a horse that is outside and has a long coat is shivering, it's because the horse has opted to shiver to warm itself, instead of using the option of moving. Moving generates a considerable amount of heat for a horse, but they sometimes stand and shiver while napping, etc. It does not mean that they need to be blanketed. However, a horse MUST have a way to get out of the wind in order for their self-blanketing' abilities to function fully. It turns out that blanketing is done more for pleasing the human, than to fill a need of the horse. The horse blanket industry has done a great job of making us think that their product is a necessary part of good horse keeping, when it is actually an item that is very seldom needed. "
    That blanket study is a hoax.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=326825

I have a hot natured horse and the cold natured horse said between the two of them they have an extensive wardrobe

I am really liking the blankets from horze.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

If you don't have turnout sheets, don't you invariably end up having to put a blanket on a wet and/or dirty? Horse?

Once it's "blanket season" my horses generally have something on... unless it's warm enough to bathe. There are a lot of days where even a light turnout blanket would make them sweat-- but the sheet keeps them dry/clean so that if it turns cooler... I can switch to blankets without putting a blanket on a dirty horse (and dirtying the inside of the blanket).

I've always done it this way/seen it done this way and I've lived all up and down the east coast. I've also seen buck naked... but I've never seen only blankets no sheets.
    ~Veronica

Jut recently washed all my blankets. I used o have five horses but now have two. I have about ten mid weight turnouts, six sheets, 5 coolers. My husband says to sell them, but I can't bring myself to sell. You never know when you will have that next horse that one of your spare blankets fits, and they cost too much to replace with new ones.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

One Turnout Sheet
    One Blanket
    One Cooler

Average high is low to mid 50s
    Average low is high 20s

I can't imagine needing any more blankets and if I had an easy keeper I would only use a sheet for wind/rain.