The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

When I lived in the north (sub zero temps a normal occurrence in the winter), everyone (3 horses) had a 4-piece wardrobe.
    -lightweight turnout sheet
    -medium weight turnout blanket
    -medium weight stable blanket
    -polar fleece blanket liner

Mixed and matched each of the above based on temperatures/conditions. Also had a "communal" heavy weight turnout just in case, and various coolers (n=2), quarter sheets (n=2), and stable sheets (n=3 or 4) to be used as necessary.

My horses have more blankets than I own jackets and coats!!! LOL

My pasture pets each have a medium and heavy weight that I only put on when it is below 30 degrees. The new donkey's only have one waterproof each (but that will change with time) that they only wear in cold temperatures. Now my show horse a ton of blankets. Right now he is double blanketed with a stable blanket and waterproof turn out with a sleazy. Since he is on lights and will be ridden all winter he will remain heavily blanketed all winter.

I obviously have a blanket obsession! I am also obsessed with them being clean at all times. My neighbors horses wear the same blanket all season and they are disgustingly muddy. I have to wash and dry my horses blankets at least once a week. Thankfully he has so many that I just put a clean set on and wash the others
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

1 members found this post helpful.

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a blanket addiction

I absolutely don't need more blankets or sheets or anything of the sort, but it doesn't stop me from looking, touching, researching, reading reviews, thinking about buying, pretending I'm buying, or fantasizing about what I would buy if I had a trust fund.

For my one horse, who only gets a bib clip in the winter and is pretty hardy, I have:

2 T/O sheets
    1 fleeced lined sheet - that I rarely use
    1 fleece cooler/dress sheet
    2 knits - one of which doesn't even fit but I cant seem to get rid of it
    2 fly sheets - one that is more heavy duty, the other more of a scrim, for those HOT summer days

99% of the winter he lives in his Open Range T/O sheet. The other sheet, Riders International, is a back-up in case his main one is getting cleaned or drying out.

The rest of them just sit around for me to admire lol

Who else wants to start a Horse Blanket Buyers Anonymous (HBBA) group with me?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

BNTHunter has a thread today where her horse's blanket was stolen at her barn.

We have blankets, but we wear size 75 and 78. BNTHunter needs a size 80-81. Maybe someone here has a spare they could give her horse? In New Jersey. In the winter. After she got flooded out in her home by Sandy.

We gave away some of our old turnouts to various friends and cothers.

2 members found this post helpful.

The pony has the most blankets (because he gets clipped and actually worked), so let's go with his profile:

-Turnout sheet,, no fill, with mesh lining
    -Midweight turnout (22g)
    -Heavyweight turnout with neck cover (360g)
    -Baker sheet
    -Rambo newmarket fleece cooler
    -combination fly sheet
    -Amigo jersey cooler

I use the turnout sheet and midweight the most. He's in a cozy barn at night during the winter, so there aren't too many days where I feel a 360g turnout is really warranted, even during Maine winter!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

My horse's wardrobe consists of:
    - 2 turnout sheets (one with a hood)
    - 1 medium high neck rug
    - 1 stable rug
    - his "underwear"...a couple of cheap, cotton blend stable sheets
    - various and a sundry anti-sweats, dress sheets, coolers, and scrims (not to mention flysheets)

He is clipped, and runs a little cold natured. He typically wears a sheet 60 or below (give or take, depending on the day, the sun, etc)
    He usually wears his medium under 50. He's pretty happy in that until it doesn't get above 40 during the day, then we might add the stable rug.
    If it stays below freezing, we may add a layer, either on top (with the hooded sheet), or maybe his cozy wool dress sheet.
    He wears his hooded sheet if it is precipitating (or I want him to stay cleaner) ...either as a single layer, or a top layer with warmer clothes underneath.

He always has a stable sheet on under anything (except if he has his woolie on). I like to keep something clean or cleanish against his sensitive skin. Having some inexpensive, easy to wash sheets means I can swap out every couple of days.

Now, this is just what HE wears...I have quite the collection. That being said, I did take a pile of unused things up to my old guy and his ancient companion. My old man doesn't need anything (he is and always has been a ridiculously wooly beast and is still extremely, ridiculously spry), but his companion is dropping weight and much older, so I wanted him to have LOTS of clothes so he can stay toasty warm and put all his calories into not being a rack of bones.

I would like more stuff, and get very tempted, but have a pretty good handle on my blanket hoarding.

Oh boy, I have a list (though not as long as some of you!):
    - Rambo turnout sheet
    - Rambo blanket liners to go under above sheet:
    - 200 g
    - 100 g
    - thick fleece for post cold weather work out
    - thin fleece for post cool weather work out
    - Irish knit to be layered under above if really sweaty
    - stable sheet for trailering/back up for turnout

Even with the above I foolishly consider myself to be a blanket minimalist. it's cold here (Ontario) so below freezing for most of the winter. He spends most of his time in the turnout with a 200 g liner underneath. When really frigid we do 200 g + 100 g + turnout. Thankfully have not gotten there yet this winter.

He is also not clipped - so the fleece coolers are a must for post workout wear.

My pony is semi-retired and in the midst of his first real winter since he left Europe 15 years ago.

I own:
    1 mid-weight turnout
    1 turnout sheet
    1 stable sheet
    1 wool cooler.

I've not used any of them this year (or since I moved to CO). He's got a super impressive coat and doesn't seem to get cold. I get paranoid when it drops to around 0 with a windchill in the negatives, but pony seems toasty and happy. When I lived in SC and NC he was clipped and blanketed accordingly.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Orican or Weathabeeta waterproof jacket.
    Coolers.

That's it.

Central AL, I'll put them in stalls overnight if it's cold+wet+windy or really cold+ wet. Otherwise they are naked. Cold and windy doesn't warrant horse clothes in central AL.

My gelding is better dressed than I am. He has four blankets. A rain sheet, a light weight turn out blanket, a mid-weight turn out blanket and a fleece cooler.

It can get cold here. But the mid-weight Pessoa has kept him comfortable into the single digits. I don't think we have had sub-zero temps yet.
    Sheilah

I'm a minimalist. I'm in California and I don't clip. They are out 24/7 and each horse gets a rain sheet with no fill. That's it. For the most part, I only sheet them when it's cold AND raining. Just cold, no sheet. Warm rain, no sheet. That said, I will sometimes leave the sheet on if there is just a short break in between storms. I used to worry about the whole hair "flattening" thing, but it's been very cold the last two days (and dry), but the horses feel toasty warm under their sheets.

Please don't make me count....I'd be up all night praying for forgiveness!
    Cindy

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    Please don't make me count....I'd be up all night praying for forgiveness!
    LOL.......everytime I go into a tack store or open a new catalog I have to say to myself, "Milo does not need another blanket, Milo does not need another blanket"!! Sometimes it doesn't work
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

2 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

DD's pony got her first ever blanket this year, because we did a modified trace clip. I have a Baker blanket that fits her from my old life that is uner the med weight T/O tonight because it is sub zero. The new guy has two med weights and a T/O sheet, because he was thin, I wanted to conserve calories, and didn't want him getting wet and then not being able to blanket, since he moved to the high prairie from the mid Atlantic

I have a bunch of sheets, scrim sheets, coolers etc and my beloved pony's entire wardrobe, a couple of which can fit DD's pony in pinch
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I think we were all brainwashed by our toys! Barbie and all the other stuff with tons of outfits! Ha! I have moved around a bit. In California, my two just had a light weight sheet. Only needed one each cause it only rained maybe two weeks all year, and there was no mud, just sand.

Now we live in SW Ohio, so my unclipped two have a light weight sheet and two medium weights. One is a yak, and he destroyed his 600 denier sheet from Cali his first time out in the boys' herd - so just one Lt at for him now. The OTTB mare still has her Cali sheet as a backup, plus a new light weight. She also has a heavy because she's a wimp, even unclipped. I blanket both because they love to roll! I feel if its cold, I need a medium even unclipped because the blanket won't let their fur do its job. I don't own stable blankets, but have 1 cotton cooler for each and 1 square wool cooler, 1 square fleece cooler, 1 fitted wool for shows, 1 cotton show cooler, and 1 scrim. Some of their wardrobe were gifts, but like others, I want more - colors, styles, etc, but tell myself they don't need them!

I'm another minimalist - I have a couple of coolers for sweaty horse moments. Other than that, my TB doesn't wear a blanket until I clip (high trace) in November (the temperature is typically mid-30s to mid-40s). I then have 1 light turnout blanket (80g fill) which she typically wears until the weather is routinely below freezing (this year, that was last week), then she moves into the medium weight (220g). I also have a heavy weight (300+g) because we have some winters when the temperature gets well below 0F (and I got it on sale of TOTD!) and I don't think the medium would be enough (last year was milder than normal so she never moved out of the medium weight). She is outside all day and the barn is not heated as she has access to her outdoor run 24/7 and I live in a fairly cold, northern climate in an area prone to high winds and horse is not an easy keeper, but maintains weight and health all winter. If I didn't clip, I wouldn't blanket.

Above 65 degrees and dry: Schneider's fly sheet, which he lives in all summer as well. Ventilated enough to be wearable in 100 degree weather. Serves more as a cut/scrape/fly protection than anything else.
    Between 55 and 65 and dry: Horze fleece base layer with fly sheet on top to prevent tearing/destruction of fleece. Also used if it will dip lower (high 40's) at night but be in 50's or 60's and sunny during the day.
    Below 50 and dry: Lextron fleece-lined sheet over fleece base layer. This has kept him comfortable from 50 down.

I was recently given a very lovely waterproof royal blue blanket with fill, which is perfect as we're expected to stay in the 20's and 30's all week. So now that is his super-cold weather blankie.

Anytime it's wet, he has the Lextron waterproof sheet on. I'll layer the fleece liner underneath as needed, usually when it's <50 and windy as well as rainy.

OMG I feel so much better.

Back home in IL, Bailey (Arab/QH) had a light turnout sheet, a med. weight TO blanket, a heavy TO blanket, and a stable blanket that I somehow acquired. When he was boarded at a "real" barn was was stalled, the stable blanket came in handy because it was more of a medium weight, but not heavy enough to make him sweat in the barn while his TO blanket was drying. I also picked up a cheap-o cotton cooler on Ebay. When he was pasture boarded, the only time he wore a blanket was when we had a nasty, NASTY ice/wind/snow/rain/sleet storm come through for about three days straight. Him and his then buddy, a TB, had full winter coats, a round bale, and access to shelter, but it was so miserable we blanketed them. I laughed at the idea of blanketing horses in Southern California.

But, here we are. He and his new brother (another TB) are body clipped, although Bailey is pretty much grown his coat back out. Temps are low enough at night to warrant a med weight, but then get warm during the day. The barn staff is amazing at blanketing. However...my trainer overblankets, big time. As soon as a rain cloud forms, blankets go on. I don't like having fleece against hair either. The TB I used to own had a cotton lining in his blanket (bought online, didn't read the fine print) and it rubbed him something fierce. That's why I was looking at the Schneider's fleece, since it has a nylon lining but the fleece weight, for when it warms up but still rains.

I still can't believe I live in SoCal and am having blanket woes. If he wasn't body clipped, he would only have a rain sheet. But since it still gets up to 75-80 during the day and he works pretty hard, and starts show season in March, clipping in necessary. Honestly when it was pouring all last week and super windy/rainy yesterday, I was wishing I had neck covers!! <---pitiful.

You have all enabled me. I thank you. My credit card, however, does not.

1 members found this post helpful.

I live in MA and my horse is trace clipped since he's in full work all winter.

I have two lightweight turnout sheets (no fill), one 220g mediumweight, one 300g heavyweight, a BOT sheet he wears as a liner of sorts, a 100g liner and a cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    The very sad merit badge earned by a true horsewoman: the one where she puts the horse before herself. The most gracious final reward any horse can hope for, and lucky are those horses who receive it.

I think if you have a clipped horse who works through the winter and you live some place where it can be chilly or downright COLD, I think there is nothing wrong with having a wide selection of things to dress your horse in. Part of the reason I choose not to have a heavy (other than I don't think you REALLY need them for VA) is that I prefer to layer and mix and match. I can fine tune my horse's clothing pretty well, and he is RARELY too hot or too cold.