The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Question Alright I'm an Idiot But How to Tell if Panels are Wool Flocked on a Saddle?

I have come here before the COTH crowd to ask if anyone can explain, post pictures etc to indicate how to tell if a saddle is truly wool flocked? I did look at a used one a while back the gal was sure was. Ended up it didn't "rock my world" enough that I bought it. Later found out it was foam.
    So how do ya tell for sure?

I believe there should be a small slit under each panel that is used for minor adjustments to the wool. Also, if you know what company made the saddle, you should be able to determine if they use wool or foam. It would be highly unusual for a saddle that was manufactured with wool to have been charged to foam, and vice versa.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

It's pretty easy to tell once you know how they're made - the look and feel is just different. A foam panel has a smooth 'machined' look to it. The edges can be very square, the panel can be made much thinner - it's like a slice of foam, with perfectly smooth surfaces wrapped in leather. A wool flocked panel has a distinctly 'hand made' look and feel to it. Run your hands down the panel - is it smooth or lumpy ? It's not possible to build a wool panel to be as slim as the foam close-contact panels, so if the panel is deep, especially at the front, it's probably wool. If it has gussets, it's probably wool. If it's a higher-end dressage saddle, it's probably wool.

Take a picture form the underside, and we'll have a look.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's easy to tell once you know how they're made - the look and feel is just different. A foam panel has a smooth 'machined' look to it. The edges can be very square, the panel can be made much thinner - it's like a slice of foam, with perfectly smooth surfaces wrapped in leather. A wool flocked panel has a distinctly 'hand made' look and feel to it. Run your hands down the panel - is it smooth or lumpy ? It's not possible to build a wool panel to be as slim as the foam close-contact panels, so if the panel is deep, especially at the front, it's probably wool. If it has gussets, it's probably wool. If it's a higher-end dressage saddle, it's probably wool.

Take a picture form the underside, and we'll have a look.

Look underneath. Are the panels stitched down or are they "floating"? Stitching down = wool. Floating = foam.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you run your hand along the panels in a wool-flocked saddle, the panels will feel a bit bumpy and irregular. Foam panels feel completely smooth.

Well, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a flocked saddle and a foam panel saddle by following the advice above. But whether or not a saddle is WOOL flocked would take looking at what's actually inside of it.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Thanks guys. At my advanxed age you'd think I'd know, but this saddle thing kind of threw me for a loop. I suspect my heart saddle is foam, and is reaching the point of no return- both I and my horse love it, and I willl mourn it's passing. It's an "older" ( 15 years) Crosby XL E with the nice leather and looks, fit and feel Crosby was famous for.

Quote Originally Posted by littlecreek View Post
    I suspect my heart saddle is foam, and is reaching the point of no return- both I and my horse love it, and I willl mourn it's passing. It's an "older" ( 15 years) Crosby XL E with the nice leather and looks, fit and feel Crosby was famous for.
    Well, I did a quick search and found a couple of Crosby XL E saddles for sale and the ads say they are wool flocked. So perhaps you are in luck?