The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christmas parade

I finally got a picture of the Christmas parade that we rode in this year.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbalism/8286638723/

1 members found this post helpful.

Cool. I rode in our Christmas parade. First time since 1976!

You are crazy brave and fun!

What a woman!

I rode in one two years ago and while I can now cross that off my Equine Bucket List, I will never do one again! It was insane... no organization, no crowd control, kids & candy flying everywhere and the resident Redneck Yahoo on his 2-yo TWH Stallion running up my mare's butt!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    What a woman!

I rode in one two years ago and while I can now cross that off my Equine Bucket List, I will never do one again! It was insane... no organization, no crowd control, kids & candy flying everywhere and the resident Redneck Yahoo on his 2-yo TWH Stallion running up my mare's butt!
    LOL, I thought for a moment you were riding side saddle!

You guys are crazy brave to do that! (and lucky to have the horses going along with it!)

non of our area parades had horses in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My town has a Christmas carraige parade - it is ALL horses. And a token marching band or two. It is the most glorious parade EVER. Beautiful carraiges and carts of all sizes, horses and ponies from the tiniest minies and donks, to the huge 4-in-hand black shire team with feet bigger than dinner plates. Absolutely stunning! Here is a video of last year's, not the greatest video quality but you get the idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZDXF70PMFc
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh Rhymes.... thanks for the video! Lovely parade. Obviously well organized, too, seeing as how the crowd stayed on the sidewalk. My local city needs to learn a thing or two from them!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

The parade we ride in is fairly well organized. The funny part is the area where we park our trailers is the same parking area where the Shriners complete with go carts, minibikes, etc starts from. We hang back and let them start out and then we go. We have to ride about a mile thru the back streets of the town to get to one of the staging areas. We wait in the staging area and the parade folks tell us when to line up in the street. In that area are several car clubs and a couple other horse groups. It sure is a great way to bombproof your horse. Another factor in the parade is that the parade route crosses over a major north south set of train tracks(twice because we basically make a big loop). The riding club I belong to does this as a group and we usually have at least 10 people or so ride. Forgot to add that I am on the chestnut horse.

Cool!
    I only rode in a Christmas parade once, in New Hampshire, with my Morgan mare and a friend on her paint gelding.
    I wanted to dress up as Medieval riders/horses or something, but my friend preferred going as English riders, all spiffed up, so that's what we did. We were freezing in our thin English attire, but since the parade was a bit of a zoo, with loud music, firecrackers etc. our horses pranced and/or cantered on the spot the whole way, so at least they kept us warm. We got lots and lots of praise while riding through town. Then we trotted the 3 miles back to the barn in the falling snow. It was fun!
    But not something I'd risk doing with my current Ottb...lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!