The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for hunter barn near Severn, Maryland

I am moving to the area (Severn, Maryland) after the first of the year and am looking for a hunter barn within about a 1/2 hour drive. Currently, I do not own a horse, so am looking for a reputable lesson barn. I showed ponies and horses during my junior years but have not shown in about 10 years or so, nor have I done much riding since then. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am not familiar with the area but it would be helpful to know exactly what your requirements are. Do you only want a weekly lesson on a school horse, maybe you prefer to do a half or full lease situation, or are you looking to perhaps buy something? Do you plan to show and how frequently. People can give you more specific information once they know your requirements.

My husband is in the military so I'm not familiar with the area either. I'd like to start with just a lesson, perhaps 2 per week while he is deployed. I am not looking to purchase a horse at the present time since we will only be stationed at Ft. Meade for 3 years. I am not opposed to doing a half lease but I imagine it would depend on the situation at the barn. I am also not looking to show anytime in the near future since it has been so long since I have ridden and/or been on a horse. I see Advil and hot baths in my future. :-)

34thStreet, if you are on Facebook, there is a "Military+Horses" group started by CoTHers after many similar questions on this board. :-) There are over a hundred members, so you might be able to contact someone who is or was at Meade, and see if they can make a suggestion.

We were ALMOST headed to Meade but we're going to Lee instead - moving Jan 12! :-) Wishing you good PCS luck!