The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tall boots that actually fit me--do they exist?? YES THEY DO!

For Christmas I was looking for a new pair of tall boots since my current ones are literally falling apart and don't even really fit me that well anyway. But I am having such a hard time finding something that actually fits. I am very short, 5', and with very short legs. I also have smaller size 6 feet. But the big problem is I have very wide calves. The new boots I've tried are either wide enough but way too tall or are short enough for me but can't even be zipped up all the way. The way I see it I have two options.
    1. Go try on every pair of consignment boots at the tack stores and hope something might fit me.
    2. Buy a pair of new ones that fit closely and get the tops cut off and/or the calves stretched. I know one girl who is built like me that had to do this and her tall boots fit me like a dream.

My requirements for boots are zippered and under $275. Really, the most important thing to me is fit! I just want something that fits and fits comfortably enough for me to wear long periods of time. Does anyone know of any brand that are cheaper and might fit someone of my size and shape? Or have experience having a cobbler do alterations like I mentioned and have an idea of how much it might cost to do? I just feel like tall boots that actually fit me just.don't.exist. Unless I want to shell out $500+ for customs. Which I don't. And can't.
    Last edited by saitou_amaya; Dec. 24, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

What's your calf measurement?

I'm in the same boat -- size 7, 5'1 (15.5" height), wide calf (15.5"). Mountain horse has a short version that's only 16.5" tall and goes up to 15" calf. (at least in my size, not sure the exact measurement for a size 6).

http://mountainhorseusa.com/spring_f...ress_boot.html

At second glance, it appears the size 6 only goes up to 14.5" calf

Or if you're willing to order from the UK:

http://www.dogwoodlondon.co.uk/shop/...ield-boot.html

I've been meaning to order the dress boot version of those, just waiting for extra cash! I've heard good reviews about them from other COTHers...

So I'd never actually measured my sizes before and have been meaning to go by the tack store and have a professional measure me and also try on consignment boots. But anyway, I just measured myself and got 15.5" for calf and 15" for height! Can that really be right?? From what I've seen on smartpak the main less expensive brand (mountain horse, ariat heritage etc.) only go up in calf size to 14.5-15" on the size 6 boots and even then the measurement for height with that calf size is like 17". I know they drop a bit but they would still be way too tall.
    So would I be better off shopping for boots wide enough and seeing if a cobbler can chop a couple inches off the top after they drop? Or getting boots short enough and seeing if a cobbler can stretch them? I really just need to go to the tack store and try some stuff on too, if I ever get a day off work to get down there.

That can be right -- why don't boot makers accomodate short people!?

You could try the fuller fillies. They have elasticized panels and short heights, but I think they are more 16" calves.

When it comes to buying a standard height boot and cutting it down, if you're cutting too much down it won't fit right as the boot is shaped to have the calf at the widest point higher. A good cobbler would separate the calf of the boot from the foot and take the height off there, but you still have to find a boot wide enough.

I'm in the exact same predicament. If you find anything, let me know! I honestly think your best bet is the HKMs I linked to. I've emailed the company to see if there's any north american retailers, but even still, ordering from dogwood has been a positive experience for the others I've asked.

No advice, just sympathy. I'm 5ft with very short legs as well...but with skinny chicken leg calves - and size 8.5 feet. Different problem, same result: nothing fit me.

You might look at the Dublins. They are not great quality, but do tend to run a bit larger in the calf. I had the same problem (with even smaller feet) and ended up having to bite the bullet and go custom.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

JPC Baroque Firld boots come in Short and wide but you might have to go up a size in the foot and put an insert in.

I have Cavalier field boots in a 7, XW calf. I bought them used and they fit me almost perfectly- they have a little gusset at the top, which really helps. I believe they only retail in Canada, but here's the link: http://www.cavalier.on.ca/index.php?...ducts_id=20314

It looks like their new ones all have zippers, but mine don't. They have the Amazonas Comfort Sole.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is. I had given up on ever owning tall boots until I found mine at the consignment store.

Quote Originally Posted by saitou_amaya View Post
    2. Buy a pair of new ones that fit closely and get the tops cut off and/or the calves stretched. I know one girl who is built like me that had to do this and her tall boots fit me like a dream.
    If this friend's boots fit you so well, why don't you buy the same ones and take them to the same person who altered hers? You have to be careful cutting down the tops too much though, as someone else already warned of, I think in the long run you would be better off getting custom (maybe put them on your credit card and pay them off?). Unless you know of a cheap cobbler, you could spend a lot of money on alterations, and what if the boots still don't fit you properly?

1 members found this post helpful.

All the money you would spend cutting boots down why don't you save it and add it to your boot budget and if possible wait a couple more months and save some more money to increase your budget. I don't mean it harshly I've just heard horror stories about having boots cut and redone. Good luck!

2 members found this post helpful.

I would say save money until you can get customs. I personally would rather have a pair of boots that fit me really well that I had to wait little while for, then ones that don't look that good, but fit. However, I do believe that Fuller Fillie's smallest size is a 16" calf. Also, A short height and getting them stretched in the calf might help. I had a pair of custom sergios (not custom to me), stretched in the calf to fit me, and they look like customs now.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

2 members found this post helpful.

My friend lives in VA and I live in Missouri. We met because when my cheap boot zipper broke at an IHSA show she let me borrow her's for my class! I know she just got a pair of Ariats and told me that the cobbler cut about two inches of height off and also stretched the calves. I guess I will try and find consignment first. I would really like to get new ones by early spring because I am going to IHSA regionals and my boots are literally falling apart. After the zipper broke I took it to get it replaced at a small-town cobbler for next to nothing...but for some reason he decided a big gold zipper would be an appropriate replacement. So anyway, I'd like to try to save up for custom but honestly the boots are a Christmas present from my parents and there is just no way customs are in the budget anytime in the near future.

I feel your pain.

You can get cobblers to work on boots, but it's major plastic surgery. The only place I'd go would be Beval's New Canaan CT store or some similar tack place with a long and deep track record for getting this right.

Then there's the fact that after all that time, money, effort and risk, you still end up with a boot of lesser quality. Or you consented to having the foot be too big.

That's why I'd save up for customs like La Mundials @ $600.

This is a giant, life-and-death carpentry thing: Measure once, spend once and enjoy for the next decade.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Try Tredstep's Donatello boot - take note of the differences between the USA size chart & the EU chart, you may want to special order a size if you can't find a size 6 "Full" at any of the US shops.
    These boots get rave reviews from people that have fit difficulties - the leather quality is very nice for the price.
    Once you find a boot that fits, you can wait for a sale or price hunt

You might invest in a pair of heel lifts (saw some nice Beval ones recently) & see how that goes.

ETA you might contact Smith Worthington as they seem to still have a good selection of their tall boots - these are no zip but almost wide enough & at $99 you have room for modifications (even at Beval I suspect - you might also check with Beval if they have any clearance Arena Field boots left in your size)
    Ariat makes a short wide boot (& there are rumours of Xshort Ariats as well, but these may be limited to old stock) - if you haunt the Clearance & Closeouts at various online shops, you may find a boot in your price range (even with modifications).
    Last edited by alto; Dec. 19, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

I feel your pain I have a horrible time with "off the rack" boots. So you don't have to feel rushed just ask your boots to start a "boot fund" for you instead. Gives you plenty of time to save and by Spring you should have plenty to either do customs or spend a little more on "off the rack".

In the mean time take a black sharpie and color the gold zipper no one will be any wiser

I have pretty much given up any hope of ever owning knee boots. Not only am I 5' tall with generous calves, I am also
    gifted with size 7 feet that are decidedly wide, like EE wide.
    And in my um maturity I have enough arthritis in my feet
    that I cannot tolerate footwear that isn't wide enough.

Does anyone actually sell non-custom boots that are wider
    than C width?
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I feel your pain!

I am a shoe size 6.5-7, 15.5 in wide, and 15 in tall calf. And to make matters worse my generous calf is generous all the way down to the ankle. While I don't have a "cankle" per se, it adds another layer.

So far the only off the rack boot that fits me well are my Mountain Horse Active Winter Riders in a 6 Short/Reg. I am not completely sold on the looks of Mountain Horse's regular line of boots in the looks department so I am saving for a pair of La Mundials. Until then, I plan to just repair the zipper on my ancient Ariats. I bought them about 8 years ago when zippers were just coming out. I had to buy a size 8 to get the correct calf width, but the height was insane. The entire back of the boot broke down instead of just the ankle to accommodate my leg. I love and hate those boots.

Good luck finding something, OP! I plan on watching this in hopes I can find something similar for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by normandy_shores View Post
    That can be right -- why don't boot makers accomodate short people!?
    ?
    Nothing accommodates tall people. At least shorter people can have clothing tailored. Try being taller than the jolly green giant with size 12 narrow foot!!

Boot makers, in my opinion, accommodate to everyone. They take your measurements and then make you boot.
    My boots are something stupid like 23.5 or 24 inches tall.
    Even the Ariat "TALL" measurement is only 19 inches. (rolling eyes)

But then again, I'm not sure what it is like to actually shop off of a rack. So it's just a lifestyle that one must accept.
    lol.

Just go custom. It will always fit.
    : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

1 members found this post helpful.

those measurements are tough! I too thought maybe the Donatellos would work for you, but I think the height will be too much. When I tried on a pair I felt that the measurements they give on the size chart were pretty spot on. So you would be looking at something with not only too big of a foot size, but also two inches too tall.

I'm another vote for spending the little bit extra and going custom. I did that last year with my Casa de las Botas boots (which I LOVE) and I don't regret it at all.

If you go the cobbler route and live near St. Louis, I recommend Johnathan at the Shoemaker's House on Manchester - he has maintained my much loved Vogels and has done a nice job on tack repairs for me - he has limited experience with the horse stuff but very customer-focused, I always explain in detail what I'm looking for and have been very happy