The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink I had an AHA!!!! moment in my lesson today and I am absolutely THRILLED!

This may sound incredibly mundane, but I had a phenomenal lesson today - and all we did was at the HALT.

Today, I learned how to truly supple my horse's poll (with a straight neck, no cheating!) and though it wasn't perfect, I gained an incredible feeling sense to add to my toolkit. I walked away from this lesson with the ability to tell, for certain, when my horse is locked at the poll. And we are 100% to the left, 75% to the right. Small steps, especially considering he is only coming 4 and we are in NO hurry.

But, I was just so excited that I had to share.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

1 members found this post helpful.

It's the little things that count. Hope to see you guys out and about this summer!

I've had TWO lessons like that in the last 2 weeks. Isn't it the coolest thing? We are learning how to go forward and STAY forward without my NAGGING him constantly. Miracle of miracles. My horse might even be happier than I am!! I had to cancel today's lesson bc I have a blinding sore throat and am so furious. Can't wait for the next one!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Default NICE ! Thanks for sharing your 'good' lesson news !

NICE !!!!

Happy Holidays !

Thanks for sharing your 'good lesson' news ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I love light bulb moments!

Mine came at a Sinead Halpin clinic last month. She gaves us some interesting warm up exercises, which helped me really feel Tessie's footfalls at the walk. Then, Sinead had us trot and demonstrated a totally different way to sit than I had ever been taught before (and I am 60 yrs. old ). I am sitting the trot better than I did when I was young.

Congratulations on your breakthrough!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Congrats! Isn't it funny how the little things can make all the difference?

This fall I finally learned how to keep my elbows bent while riding. After 20 some years of riding. It's the little things.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post

Mine came at a Sinead Halpin clinic last month. She gaves us some interesting warm up exercises, which helped me really feel Tessie's footfalls at the walk. Then, Sinead had us trot and demonstrated a totally different way to sit than I had ever been taught before (and I am 60 yrs. old ). I am sitting the trot better than I did when I was young.

Would be interested to hear warm up exercises if you don't mind sharing! I spend a lot of time at the walk during warm up and am always looking for ways to keep it interesting.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

This was my AHA! moment last week, reading Getting to Yes by Sharon Foley:

"Another small but important detail you will want to be clear about throughout your training is that any forward request is really a request for more forward. Not just "go," not just "move you feet," but move them more, go more. More than what? More than whatever he is doing right now - bring up the energy more!"

I love lightbulb/Aha moments! Good job on yours. Mine came in a recent lesson when I was asking my horse for a good rhythmic trot and finally got it and now know the right way to ask. Very nice cadence and horse was happy and not knashing her teeth in annoyance. I was able to get it myself when I hacked her the next day. Love it!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Thank you all for the feedback, and sharing your AHA! moments as well, I love reading about them!!!

Helio - We are definitely hoping to make it out this season for some basic exposure and to just have FUN. We may even be going to Aiken! Woohoo! Would love to connect with you at an event.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post

Then, Sinead had us trot and demonstrated a totally different way to sit than I had ever been taught before (and I am 60 yrs. old ). I am sitting the trot better than I did when I was young.

Ooooh, what was the sitting trot trick

Good on you!! You are right to celebrate.

I had a lesson like that last Saturday. I was getting kind of pitched around on the way out of this grid and kept saying that I must not be sinking down into my heels enough. The trainer told me to ride like I didn't have my stirrups. Et voila, I stopped feeling like I was getting jumped out of the tack and did some nice riding after that.

I grinned all of the way home.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

So as not to hyjack the OP's thread, I will start another one with Sinead's exercises and sit the trot technique.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by clivers View Post
    Ooooh, what was the sitting trot trick
    I would love to hear the sitting trot trick too...and I'm also 60 yrs old!

My personal trick is to lean back just a very little bit staying loose in the lower back, and kind of lead with my hipbones, if that makes any sense.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

So happy for you! This is good karma coming back to you for how well you take care of your retiree : )