The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DIY furniture

Does anyone build their own furniture?

I discovered Ana White's site this year and have SO many plans bookmarked. I need nightstands for the guest room, and bookshelves, and I've always wanted a chest at the foot of the bed...

What have you built (or want to build)?
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

My husband and I have built our bed, nightstand, hope chest, and dog step stool that matches our bed. He is working on a coffee table, but it has been pushed aside because of Christmas presents that we are making.

I would love to build a shadow box coffee table. I know it would be relatively easy - just need the time.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

... and look, it's even horse related! They recently posted plans for a play stable:

http://ana-white.com/2012/12/plans/h...r-18quot-dolls

There are even tiny burlap hay bales to go with it, in another post.

I really need to clear off the work bench and set up the planer we bought.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

My DH has built much of our furniture. Our bed with drawers on both sides,end tables. Several entertainment centers and tv cabinets (one for a co-worker). Our kitchen cabinets and shelves and cabinets for my knickknacks. It's all a similar style.

My college roommate and I made a coffee table out of beer cans. Does that count?
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

2 members found this post helpful.

We don't build from scratch but hubby is fab at refinishing pieces. We swap out furniture quite a bit and sell the old stuff in our shop.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I have an old wood dresser that I am redoing and turning into a book case. I found an old wood file cabnet drawer in our barn that I redid and will set that on top of the dresser to use as a small curio shelf.

I was given a couple of metel baby cribs that I plan to make childrens desks out of for my nephew and neice.

I grabbed up all of our old barn windows out the barn the ones that had the glass broken or cracked I busted the glass out sanded the window frames strung bailing twine across them and cloths pinned pictures to the bailing twine and hung them on the wall.

The ones with glass I either cleaned the four pain glass as best I could carefully sanded the wood put pictures in them covered the back with paper sacks and hung them or I painted the glass with chalkboard paint and gave them away as gifts.