The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This has probably been done to death, but I need help with part-boarding price!

I have a mare who I have thought about part-boarding, but have not advertised and just had someone approach me. I have only part-boarded myself and that was over 8-9 years ago, so I don't know what to charge.

She has done everything from 3'0-3'6 in the junior and amateur rings at AA, A level. Not a super mover, but has a 10+ jump. She usually pins middle of the road, unless a outstanding trip is laid down. Has also done the 3'6+ derbies with pinnings. Last few years we have only showed 3-4 shows a year, as I'm in university and need to watch my budget.

She is a straight forward horse, pretty much point and shoot to 3'0, but requires some direction after that, although can take a bit of a joke. She is at a boarder barn while I finish my degree and is ridden regularly as it is close to school. I could use the financial help while in school and some more time to study would be great!

Looking at 1-2 rides a week, what is a fair price? I have NO idea. Part-boarder in question is an adult re-rider who is competent, but 'beginnerish' and just wants a fun, experienced ride.

ETA: I was honestly thinking about dividing board by 30 days and basing the monthly off of the "per-ride" price.

I charge $20 a ride for 2 days a week going by what I pay for board divided by 30 days (estimated) Lessons are paid separately to coach.

If you are treating this like a lease where the boarder pays for a portion of the costs... First you need to know your costs... I add up the monthly fees for board, shoes, supplements. I personally don't include insurance, training, or vet bills.

Then if you figure the horse gets ridden 6 days/week, the lessee would pay 1/6th monthly costs for 1 day, 1/3rd for 2 days, 1/2 for 3 days.

I personally don't charge more than the appropriate portion of expenses even though my mare is fancy and was a big purchase for me. I do this because I would rather be able to lease to a very good rider (she is better than me) but she can't afford a whole lot. My lessee doesn't overwork her and it works for everybody.

There is no right or wrong number. If it works for both owner and lessee, then you probably have the right number.

Sometimes paying by ride can work, as well, but that's just too much work!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Thanks, that's what I'm not sure about to be honest. At 1-2 days a week, I'm not sure if I should treat this as a lease or not. We are not in a show barn anymore, but I do work with a trainer. There are other people that show here, but some that ride for pleasure. It's a good facility with 2 rings and an indoor arena....lots of trails.

If I worked out all my primary monthly costs, as the board is fairly expensive, it would be somewhere around $220 for 4 rides/month...That seems a lot to me, but I'm not sure. Although this person would be learning from my horse. I'm flexible on price, but don't want to undercharge the horses training/skills.

We do a 1/3 lease on a horse for my husband. We added up ALL costs for the horse, then divided by the number of days we would use him.

Winter board: $720
    Summer board: $595
    Shoes: $105 per eight weeks

We averaged this out to $750 per month in expenses (padded this a little to cover misc. routine vetting).

A horse is usable 6 days per week (one day off), so $750/6 = $125 per day of the week per month.

All this boils down to:

We pay for 2 out of 6 days per week, or $250 per month. This also comes out to $25-30 per ride.

Edited to add: this is for a well-broken western horse that is husband safe. And we know we are getting a great deal.
    Last edited by costco_muffins; Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterBranded View Post
    Thanks, that's what I'm not sure about to be honest. At 1-2 days a week, I'm not sure if I should treat this as a lease or not...
    If I worked out all my primary monthly costs, as the board is fairly expensive, it would be somewhere around $220 for 4 rides/month...
    Why not? The expenses are what they are. If this person were to pay per ride, it would probably be more. And a full lease would be a lot more. So by charging just the proportionate amount of expenses, you can both come out ahead.

My lessee pays $425 for 2 days/week. It's about the same as renting a schoolie. But she gets to ride my girl instead. Win-win.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!