The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When Wives Make Things Right

There is someone I have dealt with from time to time buying equipment, & live animals. I prepay for everything. The owner actually takes the order, measurements in person, blah, blah. Without fail, HE always gets it wrong; & then he throws a fit when I say why it will not work when I go to pick it up. As in wrong size, wrong color, wrong brand. As in you have got to be kidding me? Again?!

My money will sit there with him for the longest time waiting for him to make it right. It is interesting HE never makes things right.

BUT, some weeks or months later his WIFE will see me somewhere, quietly walk up to me & hand me my money back. Of course she asks me to sign a receipt, considering the amount of cash involved. No problem from me. Just glad to get my money back finally. (Quite frankly I wonder how long she has walked around with that much cash in random hopes of seeing me somewhere?)

I probably have not bought from them for nearly two years now, as it just is not worth the headache, & his fits.

I saw his wife today coming out of a store, & quite frankly I made sure to avoid eye contact with her. As in, I just suddenly had to turn talk to the stock dogs in the back seat. Frankly, I did not want to deal with any possible awkwardness of why I have not been back to purchase through them. (Like surely she does get why not???)

I feel a little sheepish now, as I had just barely finished feeding the horses & kenneling the stock dogs when she drove up. Bearing gifts. She had bought & brought me everything for Christmas dinner, including dessert!

Does this mean I will order through them again. Probably not. Though next time I see her (which is not too often at all), I probably will not suddenly be talking to the stock dogs either.

I know she will never read this here. But I just feel so much better for saying it. And yes, I most certainly did let her know how verklempt I was that about what she did this evening.

God bless you MRS. And thank you, for always making things right.

7 members found this post helpful.

Can you do the ordering through the wife?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

and not prepay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Was in a gift shop today. On the shelves was a note pad that said, "If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is around to hear, is he still wrong?"

Sorry - I hate gender bashing, but, as in this case...yup.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

3 members found this post helpful.

Be happy you do not live with him.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

My guess? He has some impairment, possibly Alzheimer's or something similar and she is quietly supporting him and trying to keep everything working.
    If so, that is quite a burden for her. Just a guess.

1 members found this post helpful.

You don't have to order from them, but you could always get HER something nice and thoughtful.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    Can you do the ordering through the wife?
    This. It sounds like she has the sly husband handling skills to get the order right, but make it look (and make him think) it was all his idea in the first place.

Otherwise, a little note to thank her for her attention to detail might be in order.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think you should make amends to the wife. She tried to do the right thing-- did-- and you subsequently avoided her. Then she was kind to you again. Telling us you feel bad here isn't enough, IMO.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.