The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default U.S. Savings bonds- why so hard to purchase now for gift giving?

My dad would always purchase a savings bond for my cousin's little girl for all gift giving occassions. The savings bond was purchased through his bank and all that was needed was the child's social security number. The last time he was in his bank, he inquired about purchasing a savings bond and was told that he would now need to purchase it online. Being barely computer literate, he asked me to look into how to buy one. It is now so difficult, it makes one wonder if the government really doesn't want to sell them. The website that I looked at indicated that the purchaser would need to set up their own account to which the bond would be deposited and then, the purchaser would then have to transfer the bond to the recipient's name. This means that my cousin would then have to set up an account in her daughter's name in order for the little girl to receive the bond . It also did not appear that there would be a certificate to give to the recipient, and the little girl does enjoy receiving her "paycheck".

Does anyone on here know of a different, more gift giving friendly way of purchasing a U.S. savings bond? It just doesn't seem that it should be this difficult...

1 members found this post helpful.

Search for purchasing bond as gift on treasury direct. They give you step by step instructions on how to do this.
    There is also an option where you can print out a "gift certificate" directly from the site and you fill in the blanks. They have bday themes and congrts themes, etc...
    It can be a pain because you have to wait 5 days for the transaction to go through, they want to make sure you have enough money in your account to cover your purchase. But it is not bad if you follow the step by step instructions.

I vaguely remember hearing something on NPR a month or two ago about the government wanting to get out of selling savings bonds and making them exponentially more difficult to buy.....I can't remember the reason when though.....

ETA: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/...-to-get-harder

Found this article, it's from last year but says pretty much the same thing I heard
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.