The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First real interview in recent years... tips, please!

I've got an interview Thursday morning, and it's been quite some time since my last one.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm feeling a little out of practice and would really like this job. Resume and letters of recommendation have already been provided in addition to an extensive application process with full job history.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

What field are you looking to work in? Ketchup lobbyist?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I've got an interview Thursday morning, and it's been quite some time since my last one.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm feeling a little out of practice and would really like this job. Resume and letters of recommendation have already been provided in addition to an extensive application process with full job history.

I don't have any advice however, I wish you all the luck with the interview and hope you land the job! When you do, please share your tips b/c I'll be seeking work next summer after I earn my Masters. The last time I applied for a job was in 1990 when you filled out an application, literally.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your success.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    What field are you looking to work in? Ketchup lobbyist?
    Thumb Monitor.

H.J. Heinz does not have any lobbyists in Oregon, sadly.

Interview is for a job in my current field. I am employed currently, just looking to move up.

2 members found this post helpful.

Make sure to have your own well thought out questions ready for the interviewer. They like that.

If you can grab the book "Knock 'em Dead" tomorrow, it's a great book for prepping.

If not, google 'behavioral interviewing' for questions and answers used in that type of interview.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Make sure your phone is off, dress professionally--no cleavage!, breathe and be prepared with questions if they don't answer them during the interview. Good luck!!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

DO NOT thumb anyone upon entry.

A lot of interviews are behavior based, think of real life examples that show your strengths and also how you are actively improving your areas of opportunity
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Most decent interviewers (reader alert: this does not mean that you'll get a decent interviewer) ask behavioral questions. "Past behavior predicts future behavior" is the behavioral interviewer's mantra. You might be asked to describe an event in your work history and how you handled it, and your response tells them how you might behave in the future. For instance, they may say "Tell me about a time you organized a successful team project. How did you do it and what was the outcome?"

You should practice for a behavioral interview, and the best way is to remember STAR. Situation, Task, Action, Result. If you are asked to describe a situation or event, briefly outline the situation you were faced with, your task, the action you took, and the result. Never forget the result.

Do not embellish, and whatever you do, don't go on and on. Your interviewer will lose interest in both the interview and you, and he/she will doubt your results orientation. Stay focused on a crisp, clean but complete answer.

Use eye contact.

Smile.

Lean forward a little.

Be passionate about what you do. Employers love that. I will choose superior passion and average talent over the reverse any day.

Come ready with intelligent questions. Ask questions that show you have researched the company, and that you care about doing well. Also ask the interviewer what you can to do to meet, and more importantly exceed, the company's expectations if you are hired.

Good luck!

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck practise your interview with a friend. If you can't find someone, write down the questions you think they will ask and say your responses out loud. That way you can get used to the sound of your own voice and hear how your responses sound to you. Repeat them rephrase them if you don't like what you hear. I do think saying them out loud is useful.
    Have fun on your interview and good luck.
    Oh, and look down at the bottom of the page here on Coth, there are links to related posts. You might get some tips on those posts too.

Hopefully you have the same luck I did today in a similar job situation.

Clean, conservative professional attire and minimal jewelry. You no doubt know this.

Right now, think of examples of times you showed leadership, managed an unexpected problem, handled yourself in a conflict, handled a situation when something fell into your lap unexpectedly, handle multiple projects happening simultaneously, and handled a problem employee (if there's a management component).

You have gotten to the interview, so they already like what they know about you. What you need to do is highlight that first impression and give them some information they didn't have before about just how fabulous you are.

Be confident and friendly and you are bound to rock it. Good luck!
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good luck!!

As someone who gets very nervous in interviews, the best advice I've ever received was to take a breath and collect your thoughts before giving an answer. I tend to "word vomit" or blurt out answers that I later think could have been much more refined, if only I'd paused to collect myself instead of rushing and talking too fast. Don't pause so long it seems like you don't have an answer, but don't rush to fill the silence the second the question has been asked.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Yes, loshad! Although you would be surprised at how many women do not heed Calvincrowe's NO CLEAVAGE advice! I had a coworker that left recently for another job and I swear, if my next coworker has as many wardrobe malfunctions I'm going to have to complain to the boss. Low cut takes on a new meaning when I can see what color bra you are wearing that day. I know we all have the occasional malfunction, but this was happening quite frequently.

I'm not a big hoochie mama when it comes to clothes, and the only jewelry I wear on a daily basis is my wedding ring.

I interview over 50 people a week via phone, and then 2-3 of those make it to the in person interview.
    I know in the first 5-30 seconds on the phone whether I want to move forward with someone. The questions I ask just become validation. I use behavioral interview questions mixed with standard interview questions.

The industry will really dictate how you should interview. It never hurts though to be warm, genuine and smart.
    Don't be afraid to take time to think about something, but know that as you are thinking, where you look will tell the interviewer a LOT about you.

Do your research on the company. You should be able to answer questions about the company, and remember when you ask questions about the job, don't make the questions all about you. One of my favorite questions I've ever been asked as an interviewer is "I'd love to know what your favorite things about this company are?"

I'm assuming they've looked over your resume, which means the interview is just to confirm you aren't lying on your resume and to see if you fit the company culture.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I've interviewed a handful of people recently for highly technical positions in my group and have been surprised by some of the stuff I've seen from candidates.

Here are some initial comments. I'll think of a few more and post again later.

1) review your resume for spelling and formatting errors. Pass it around amongst friends and colleagues because you may get so used to reading it that you miss the small stuff. I'm surprised by the number of little things that creep in unexpectedly.

2) Arrive on time or a few minutes early. Not 1 hour early or you look uptight and definitely don't arrive late. If something happens and you do get stuck in traffic, apologize briefly then move on. I interviewed one person who arrived 1/2 hour late and complained bitterly about the traffic. Didn't make a good impression.

3) don't swear. Yes, this has happened in interviews.

4) Don't tell the interviewer that the questions they are asking you are dumb or that you hate "those types of questions". Yes, I had someone tell me this!!!

5) Know something about the company. It doesn't look good if you have no idea what we do or what products we make.

6) Dress neatly. It doesn't have to be Armani or Chanel, but should be appropriate to the job.

7) Don't wear perfume or cologne. It makes some people queesy. Do use deodorant.

8) Have a set of questions to ask us. We want to be sure it is a good fit from both sides.