The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Holiday Traditions!

Having a little one this year has made Christmas so much more fun. We've kept some of our old traditions, like going for a drive to look at the lights, and started some new ones, like Christmas PJs.

What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Well, we have Christmas PJ's although my little guy had other plans this year...his PJ's came in but they will not fit over his huge honken cast. Tonight, my mom and I will drive around with him and look at lights but we're really keeping it light this year since daddy is gone. I'm hoping to catch my husband on Skype a little early and we'll watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas together as a family before little man goes to bed.

My tradition, I never break, is putting everything off until the last minute so I'm wrapping presents at 2am Christmas morning.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    My tradition, I never break, is putting everything off until the last minute so I'm wrapping presents at 2am Christmas morning.
    HATE THAT. I have about 85% of the presents wrapped. I have gone to bed at 3am only to get dragged out of bed 2 hours later so many times.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    I'll be awake & wrapping right along there with you, dear. Don't think I've EVER gotten to bed before 2 a.m. on Christmas. I wait till hubby's asleep & then start my wrapping - with help from the cats, thank you very much. Since TBS starts showing their 24-hour "A Christmas Story" marathon at 8 p.m. tonight, I always have that on to keep me company & keep my spirits up.

1 members found this post helpful.

Interestingly enough - cleaning stalls! Growing up my mom was a barn manager/riding instructor. She worked at a few different places over the years (we moved a lot). Most of them had staff that did most of the stall cleaning and general farm maintenance, but of course the Mom always gave them Christmas and Thanksgiving off, so it was up to us to get it done. Even non-horsey dad pitched in

Now that I'm all growed up with a horse of my own boarded in full care, I always offer to do the barn some over the holidays. It just does not feel like Christmas without a pitchfork in hand! Mom and dad are here visiting right now, and yes Mom and I will be out there in the morning to feed and do stalls before opening presents.
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

The year I l ived in Switzerland, I went to a barn friends home for Christmas dinner on Christmas eve and they had fondue. They also opened there gifts that night.

So a few years ago when I got a fondue set from my SS we had fondue on Christmas eve and now every Christmas eve we have fondue. It is a great way for DH and I to spend some fun time together when my son is at his dads for Christmas.

Stockings are a big thing in my family. everyone had one growing up and still do. My DH hasn't had one since he was a little kid so was not sure what to do the first Christmas, he does go over the top filling it now. But I enjoy laying in bed opening my stocking gifts.

I make a bran mash every Christmas morning for my horse. I drive out to the barn and do the morning feed for the BO/BM. That way I can say hi to my boy and give him his mash and leave small gifts for everyones else. It is so nice and quite in the barn at that time. I love it.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Last year was our first Christmas together, but between both of us not feeling the Christmas spirit and his mom visiting her sons that live on the East coast, we didn't really do anything.

My SO's family does the fondue on Christmas eve and opens the gifts from their stockings. On Christmas morning its bagels and lox, lunch is a casserole made from hardboiled eggs that his late father used to love (nobody else really likes it, but it's what dad would have wanted so they still make it every year), and prime rib for dinner. This year we will do all of that, but my SO is (mostly) a vegetarian now, so the prime rib is out and fish is in.

My family tends to get upset with each other over stupid things and have huge family fights. My own personal tradition has been to avoid all of that by working on Christmas eve and Christmas day (I've worked in the ski industry for the past 11 years, so not hard to do), coming home and watching not quite right (Bad Santa, Christmas Vacation, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc.) Christmas movies by myself. Needless to say I am excited to share my SO's family traditions this year.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt