The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Started Adequan today

So far, Harry has had an up and down road with his body. I thought at first it was just his hocks, had them injected and we returned to work. Everything wasn't peachy but he was sound and really engaging his hindquarters for the western pleasure lope.

Then about a month ago, he got *cranky*. Then he wouldn't lope...a rolling trot but no transition. Then he knuckled over a few times.

Diagnosis: hocks have gone to pot again PLUS chrio exam revealed problem in his withers, left knee, top of his rump right behind the saddle (forgot what that was called) and his femoral nerve.

After one adjustment, I rode twice. He was much calmer, no jigging after we reverse but no lope either. He let his neck come out of his withers and lowered it nicely (Morgan...so no peanut rolling).

Today the vet gave him another adjustment and noted only some improvement. We decided to start him on Adequan injections because Adequan targets all the problem areas and should help with his knee, withers, etc.

One injection every 4 days for a month. I'll ride tomorrow and see how he's doing. The physical part will take time but I'm sure we'll get to a maintenance program. I am most pleased about his relaxation after the reverse. Even after our aborted attempts to lope, which usually jazzes him up, he was relaxed and let out big sighs.

Seems like he's been getting worse and worse in the pain department for 2 years but I didn't know. I thought it was my crappy riding. How I wish I understood his language better; sooner. He must think I'm awfully stooped!

Here's to hoping the adequan makes a difference. I have seen it work extremely well in several horses with multiple issues and hope your boy is one of them
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

1 members found this post helpful.

I just started my guy on Polyglycan and so far really like the results. He wasn't unsound, just a bit stiff in one direction (most likely up in the SI area). I was thinking trying some Adequan OR Legend.. Adequan to improve his joint health and Legend to make him feel better and lube up those joints. My vet recommended the Polyglycan and once I did the math, a year of Polyglycan was less (and proven) compared to the higher-end joint supplements (Recovery EQ, Tri-Acta, etc.)

My older horse was on Adequan years ago and man, it gave him more bounce to the ounce. Good luck! We are lucky to have such great products available these days for our equine friends.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

Adequan helped my horse tremendously - severe hock arthritis, neck arthritis and "older horse" stiffness in general. We continue it twice a month but his case is pretty significant. He gallops around the fields like a 5 yr old most days. We are IRAP'ing one specific upper hock joint that still gives him issues and inflammation too. I think you'll really notice a difference. Good luck and do post back on your experience!

Default Polyglycan

WW

Are you using thr Polyglycan IV orIM?

Adequan is a good product when used as directed. We've had good luck with it several times.

Don't look for immediate improvement. It will take a few weeks to get maximum results. You'll likely have to repeat the treatment in six months or so if you've got some chronic condition going on.

Good luck with the treatment.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Had a VERY SHORT test ride today...8 minutes. His walk was nice and straight...could see the rail path right smack dab between his ears. He had been going haunches in/shoulder out when going to the right. That direction was INTO the side of his withers that has the problem AND put the weight on his right hock, which is the problem hock. He had been avoiding the right bend and bringing his right hind under him. Straight felt SO GOOD! It felt free and easy. Nice easy jog. AND a lope in each direction...just one each way and only for about 50 feet. He trotted a few steps first but then did it. I give today's ride an A+.

I wanted to get something in today because we're getting hit with the crappy end of the winter storm: rain/snow/wind. We have to ride outdoors so very weather dependent...and footing dependent. Next injection on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantknoll View Post
    WW

Are you using thr Polyglycan IV orIM?
    It's supposed to be used IV however my vet gave me the thumbs up for IM. I noticed a definite difference. Since all horses have varying degrees of issues, I would guess if my horse had a proven sore spot/problem, she would have wanted me to stick with IV but in my horse's case IM seemed to do the trick. (She is a well-known sporthorse vet in my busy H/J area.)
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

WWQ-
    Thanks for the reply. Polyglycan IV is just starting to gain popularity around here thanks to a dressage barn. I was wondering if the IM was working as well as the IV, but it sounds like you have had good results.