The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    BTW, love the name Finnegan...is he an orange cat?
    My Finnegan is white with grey spots. I just liked the name - we used to call him "Finnegan Begin-Again" like the little kids song.

And since no thread is complete without pictures - here is my favorite of him! He's really a lovely cat other than this recent vet performance.

Finnegan

Clearly a threat to all mankind.

He has fangs.... and he leaps!

Since claw trimming has been brought up - I trim his regularly. He usually lays on his back with his paws in the air. Seriously, his performance at the vet was VERY out of character! We're going to try "training" to hopefully make future visits more pleasant, so I might be back with more questions for you cat experts!

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    The CTJ meetings I've given her in the past (and have given to the little guy too) is usually a well-placed rump slap with enough momentum to push her over then turned around and walked away/ignore completely. Or if they're in my lap and being jerks, they get dumped unceremoniously to the ground and I leave them. Hard to do that when you're trying to get the claws trimmed.

Both of them use scratching posts (she'll only use the carpet kind), but I wish there was something like that I could rig up to blunt the points on the claws.
    Come to think of it, a pro horse trainer friend of mine had a CTJ meeting that went on for 3 hours with her cat, the aptly named Hannibal.

This one would turn from Love to Kill while you were petting him. She needed an "off" button for Kill. The plan was to pin him to the ground, make direct eye-contact and wait until he stopped being an ass.

One day, he would.not.quit. Kept whining, then growling, then hissing/cussing in turns. She wouldn't let go. She had to carry him around for 3 hours while he did his thing.

It worked. Now, if you stop, pin him a bit and give him the "Quit. I'm serious," look, he gives up.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Eh, cats are weird. They defy understanding.
    Whenever I have to take one in I try to stack the odds in the vet's favor by trimming all claws the day before and telling them upfront to take whatever measures necessary to deal with kitty. So far I haven't had to take in demoncat, but if that day comes, I will be sure to warn them in advance.

Two things I've learned about cats during a lifetime of being around them:

1) Cats are rarely trained to do anything. It's more like they just decide when and if they're actually going to agree with you on something.

2) Cats do not need a reason to act insane.

"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by outside__line View Post
    And since no thread is complete without pictures - here is my favorite of him! He's really a lovely cat other than this recent vet performance.
    I think your Finnegan and my Hank must be long lost siblings! They look nearly identical including the patch of grey tiger at the left elbow! Does your guy purr like a diesel truck without a muffler too?

MVP, if I tried to pin my devil cat, I wouldn't have any skin left on my arm. I've attempted that before and my right wrist/forearm looked like I tried to commit suicide multiple times. Serious tears up my arm from wrist to elbow from her trying to eviscerate me like she would a mouse and punctures in the meat of my thumb from her bite. And I had started the hold on her with all four paws on the ground -- she was the second coming of Basement Cat in her younger years!

Quote Originally Posted by outside__line View Post

Finnegan

Clearly a threat to all mankind.

He has fangs.... and he leaps!

Since claw trimming has been brought up - I trim his regularly. He usually lays on his back with his paws in the air. Seriously, his performance at the vet was VERY out of character! We're going to try "training" to hopefully make future visits more pleasant, so I might be back with more questions for you cat experts!
    A very nice-looking cat. But check him out: He is his Own Man and pretty sure he knows how to get through life taking care of Number One. This doesn't mean he's a selfish buztard. On the contrary, he likes affection, needs affection and will go out of his way to get it. But he'll say No to the Titanic of a cat carrier and vet, too. He's too much his own man not to.

I think he's behaving *in* character for a cat of his nature.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

MVP, if I tried to pin my devil cat, I wouldn't have any skin left on my arm. I've attempted that before and my right wrist/forearm looked like I tried to commit suicide multiple times. Serious tears up my arm from wrist to elbow from her trying to eviscerate me like she would a mouse and punctures in the meat of my thumb from her bite. And I had started the hold on her with all four paws on the ground -- she was the second coming of Basement Cat in her younger years!
    I know! No one said that my horse pro friend didn't wear some armor to her CTJ meeting with Hannibal. She went into that with the right equipment, time and a clear and simple goal. How long it took was up to him entirely.

It is hard to train a cat. After all, these animals are the Supreme Court Justices of the animal world. They have JDs from excellent schools, great minds, good work ethics and a long experience with being both right and just in combination. You don't manhandle them. You don't start something unless you can finish it and remain rational the whole time.... and have a lot of time.

Those of you think cats are untrainable or impossible to understand have just been suckered by easier animals like dogs and horses. We selectively bred those to be much more biddable... by people who were in hurry. Cats don't have the same pedigree. If you venture into training a cat, you just have to step up your intellectual game, that's all.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I think your Finnegan and my Hank must be long lost siblings! They look nearly identical including the patch of grey tiger at the left elbow! Does your guy purr like a diesel truck without a muffler too?
    YES. He purrs like a jet engine. And it doesn't take much to get him started rumbling. (I don't want anyone reading this thread to think he isn't loved and looked after... even though he embarrassed his mom at the vet!)

Extremely common. I worked as a vet tech in high school, and the cats were far worse than the worst dogs who you could always bribe with a hotdog. I still remember the name of the worst animal we had as a patient. Moonshine. And, if perchance Moonshine's owner happens to be on here, your cat was bad bad bad.
    We used to have to get the owner to come into the cage room to get her out, and he was terrified of her. He'd hold the cat carrier under the cage door, and I would catch her with the rabies stick and plop her into the box. When we vaccinated her, she had to go into the "cat bag" with the cat muzzle, and we'd still have to wear the lead-lined x-ray gloves to keep away from the lone paw we had to leave out of the bag. She would also claw anyone who walked too close to her cage.
    I can't remember any of the names of the other pets (it's been forever), just that one cat.
    The only other pet that I dreaded was a miniature poodle who always had painted toenails.
    You are what you dare.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

That sounds pretty typical. My cat loves DH and me and acts completely normal around us. Guests come over and all bets are off; take her somewhere and again, all bets are off.

I warn the techs each time that she will be vocal (hissing that escalates to growling, yowling and screaming), but so far she's not offered to bite or scratch. I do trim her nails right before I pop her in her carrier though.

Her best vet experience was last year, when the vet tossed some catnip in her carrier and on the scale. We still had lots of noise, but she relaxed enough to rub on the chairs and accept some lovins from the vet.

This year they opted to try her in the empty OR, which is in a quieter section of the hospital, to see if she'd be calmer. Not so much, if the volume of her protestations was anything to go by.

I am OK with her pitching a b!tch as loudly as she likes so long as teeth and claws are not involved. If those come out, we'll be discussing other restraints; I want my vet and her techs to be safe and not hate me. Kitteh can suck it up for 15 minutes once a year.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

My sweet cat, Whisper, used to turn into a holy terror at the vets. She was a petite little cat but always needed three techs to hold her.

She lived to be about 20 years old and only when she was an elderly kitty did she sleep through her exams and not need all those people holding her.

That is nothing....my old cat started hissing if the vet even looked at him when he was in the carrier. In order for the vet to even examine him, he had to go into the "kitty aquarium." Seriously I brought him to the vet's in a small soft sided carrier. They would put him while he was still in the carrier hissing like a maniac into the magic box and knock him out cold...for every single visit. They would treat him and then put him back in the carrier before he sobered up. At 21 his health failed and I took him in to be euthanized....he couldn't even walk but he could still hiss. He was a total love with me though. Still miss that cat.

Quote Originally Posted by kb View Post
    At 21 his health failed and I took him in to be euthanized....he couldn't even walk but he could still hiss. He was a total love with me though. Still miss that cat.
    Wow, that cat has style.

The kitty aquarium sounds desperate, elaborate and expensive, but humane for the truly Tasmanian Devil cats.

My 13# old lady used to be my nemesis. It didn't matter that I outweighed her 100 times or could wrangle 1000-ers. This cat would *win* in a battle to pill her.

She has settled down now, and I have better technique. But it was really funny when I'd have to tell the vet that the cat was king in this respect.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat