The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Default USDF "All Breeds" Awards... well, not really ALL...

So, as a new convert to dressage, I have dutifully filled out a million or so forms, joined the alphabet soup of different organizations, and sent a bunch of them a bunch of checks. I have duplicated my horse's old "H/J" oriented lifetime registrations with USDF versions, gotten myself new amateur numbers ... the whole nine yards. Such fun.

One one of the many forms, there was something about sending in my horse's registration papers, which I dutifully photocopied and mailed. Today, I got an email from the USDF saying, "well, we have your horse's lifetime registration paperwork and his papers; if you want to participate in the All Breeds Award program, you have to fill out this Declaration Form."

Ok, I am always happy to have goals to work towards; another awards program sounds like fun. Why not?

I start filling the form out, get a little confused, and decide to just call the woman who sent me the email to ask for help. (Happy that my membership dollars are now actually doing something for me, LOL.) The very nice woman who answers the phone says, "well, yes, the award program IS called "All Breeds," but really it's just for the registries that participate. What breed is your horse?" I reply that he is a Brandenburg (just like it said on the papers I sent you, that led to your sending me the email.)

"Oh," she says. "They aren't a participating registry." (Then why did you send me the email?) But she goes on to tell me that I could always get the Brandenburg people to join, and then I could participate that way. (Um, seriously?) Or, if I don't want to do that, I could register my (already registered) horse with a different registry. I was certain I had misunderstood, so I said, "you mean get him new papers with a different BREED?" (Thinking, erm, he is a BRANDENBURG, why would another breed do that?!)

She went on to explain that I could get new papers from the performance horse registry (this, I gather, is really just about writing a check to The Organization At The Same Address as the USEF.) Or, I could apply to have him registered with another "breed" organization, like the American Warmblood Society. (I am guessing that this is just another organization that will happily take a check in exchange for a piece of paper.)

Seriously?

What am I missing here? I am definitely a newbie in dressage land but this makes NO sense to me whatsoever.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Yeah I understand your frustration - this whole damn awards this and awards that, and all sort of different memberships are really, really confusing... If I join GMO, I can compete in these "dressage" shows but not those "dressage" shows; if I have horse ID, I don't need horse lifetime registration - but if I want to do this or that, my horse still needs to have lifetime registration; and so on and so forth... Honestly sometimes I wonder USDF isn't confused itself.

But back to topic: the all breeds programs are designed to recognize horses, especially horses that aren't "typical" dressage horses. The intention is good: compete with their own breeds - but it is just kind of confusing for new comers. For example, if I want to, I can enter my Morgans in the All Breed award for Morgans, since Morgan is one of the participating registries; but I won't be able to try to earn All Breed award for, say Arabs, since they aren't registered Arabs. These programs work with breed registries, not just with USDF itself. So basically, yeah, if you want to compete in all breed award, your horse must belong to a breed that is a participating breed; otherwise, don't worry about it.

3 members found this post helpful.

And for a breed (registry) to participate, they pay an annual membership fee to USDF (I think it is $200) and then pay USDF the cost of the awards - so this is not a program USDF actually funds - the participating registries fund it!

Having said that, I am grateful for the program, since it does give us a place for year end awards even if we don't own the latest, greatest, imported fancy horse

You can always just compete for HOY standings and skip All Breeds. Or, as they suggest, join a 2nd registry... Or just start your own registry, then have it join USDF Hmmm, maybe I need to resurrect the WTF Registry

One that might work for you is the Performance Horse Registry. I know it is not your breed specific, not being a part of the program but it may still fit the bill if you want to do all breeds.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, the title is somewhat deceptive, but it is not a USDF funded program. The registry sponsors the program, and pays a fee to USDF in order to have USDF calculate the awards. Many breeds participate, but not all.

As an aside, I don't have my current horse's papers, so I have never participated. There are plenty of other awards to go for: USDF Rider Performance Certificate, USDF Rider Medals, Regional Championships, GMO Year-End Awards, Horse of the Year awards, etc.

Lucassb is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Ah, thank you guys for the explanation(s)! I think for now, as we are still really newbies, we might just skip this particular program. Although, Mystic Oaks, if you resurrect the WTF registry, I'm in, LOL.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I'm confused by the PHR requirements. If you have a grade gelding, can he be registered? I ask, because I have what is known as an Amish Warmblood ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    I'm confused by the PHR requirements. If you have a grade gelding, can he be registered? I ask, because I have what is known as an Amish Warmblood ;-)
    LOL Amish warmblood -Standardbred/Percheron cross? Because I have one too!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

what the USDF and the USEF ought to do is get with the program and have 1 (one) number, fee, registration etc

one place where we pay give info etc.

can you imagine how much easier that would be?

i wonder why they haven't thought of that?

it seems to me that if the OP already is all registered for hunters - her info is all there and they could just "send" it over.

and maybe then we could have the awards for horses doing well in multiple disciplines imagine that!

He's a Percheron/Paint/Standardbred as far as I can tell Bred by the Amish!

Yup. We should start a breed registry.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Absolutely. I'm in. Registration will cost 5 bajillion dollars. Or a jar of relish.

All kidding aside, do they really want to verify parentage or can they be admitted? I know that the TB requirement was removed...

Register PHR. It's great. I think they allow all horses in now, it's ONE lifetime fee to be a part, and they give great prizes. The problem with other registeries is that you have to be a current member and pay a renewal fee with that registry each year. I paid a lifetime fee to SWANA and keep all mine registered there so I don't have to play the game.

PHR is great and easy. I have some nice saddle pads from them.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think its a shame that there is no all breed award for the Brandenburg, wertttenberg or Hessen - yet there are 6 all-breed registries for friesian's.

5 members found this post helpful.

So what if your horse is double-registered? Can you compete for all-breed awards in multiple registries?

Can you compete for all-breed awards in multiple registries?

No, you must declare one and are limited to that choice.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    I think its a shame that there is no all breed award for the Brandenburg, wertttenberg or Hessen - yet there are 6 all-breed registries for friesian's.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think 3 of those are for Friesians, 1 is for Friesian Sporthorses, and 2 are for Friesian crosses. Maybe there are more Friesians, Friesian Sporthorses, and Friesian crosses than Brandenburgs, Wertenburgs, or Hessens? (I don't know how common those breeds are.)

OP, have you contacted your registry? Maybe if they knew there was some interest they could join the all breed awards.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    Can you compete for all-breed awards in multiple registries?

No, you must declare one and are limited to that choice.
    You can also change your registry choice if you want. It's maybe $25?

I myself have not participated in the all breeds because the TB reg. process is such a PITA! All manual, pictures and paper to submit.
    I don't own a film camera and sim card stuff is a pain, or a copier at home. I would if they were a little more up to date and let you do it electronically.

Yes, the registries sponsor "their" USDF All Breeds program, and pay a yearly fee to USDF to calculate the awards. And since the awards themselves come from the registry - not USDF - the registry has to have enough of a presence in the U.S. to afford the fees and the awards. The smaller German registries like Brandenburg, Wurttemburg, Hesse, etc., don't really operate here (although Wurttemburg has a U.S. representative, they don't have a real organization here). And trying to convince a German Verband to fund a U.S. awards program isn't an easy task...

2 members found this post helpful.