The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Godspeed, Senator Inouye (and a social - not political - commentary)

Some time ago, Bing hijacked my laptop, and became my search engine. After much struggle, I got it to retire as my search engine, but couldn't get rid of it as my opening screen when logging on to the net. They often have interesting and/or gorgeous photos, so I haven't continued the struggle to make it go away.

Bing's homepage offers a handful of links to news items that are currently popular. One suggested link is to Bette Midler, who is hoping to get called to be a cast-member of an upcoming production of "Glee".

Nothing about the death of Senator Inouye appears on Bing's home page.

Priorities. Hmm.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

He was a true public servant, more than 50 years in the Senate, a Medal of Honor winner--a role model that few knew much about today. I think that a relatively obscure (by choice?) senator from Hawai'i would no make it to the top of a search engine. There is a lot going on in the world, even in the entertainment one, that would supercede him.

Godspeed, indeed, Mr. Inouye. You deserve a round of applause from a grateful nation.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

2 members found this post helpful.

While not commenting on Senator Inouye's term as a senator, one thing I think this does point out is one of our many problems in the government. He was there for 50 years! and is not the only that has made a lifetime career of being a senator or congressman. When you're in the government that long you have lost touch with what real people face every day.

God bless Senator Inouye but I'm a believer in term limits.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

I remember meeting him in 1984 when I was working for a company opening a mental health center in Honolulu. He was a charming man and very humble.

I hold a special place in my heart for WWII veterans. They literally saved the world for future generations. Senator Inouye deserves to be honored.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

A friend's father worked for him for the past 25 years so I got to meet him personally. RIP Senator Inouye. He absolutely deserves a great honor.

I met Sen. Inouye several years ago at the Japanese Embassy. My impression of him was that of a strong yet kind, intelligent, and thoughtful man. WWII vets are a very special group, indeed, especially those who acted so heroically. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    While not commenting on Senator Inouye's term as a senator, one thing I think this does point out is one of our many problems in the government. He was there for 50 years! and is not the only that has made a lifetime career of being a senator or congressman. When you're in the government that long you have lost touch with what real people face every day.

God bless Senator Inouye but I'm a believer in term limits.
    In case you're unaware of the system of voting in the United States, senators do, in fact, have terms (six years) as do representatives (four years). What that means is that the people of the state of Hawai'i were sufficiently satisfied with the service Mr. Inouye gave to the people of his state such that they elected him to office multiple times.

The problems in our country are seldom solved by first-term representatives. It is appalling to me that you think that a life spent in public service means that you're "out of touch." The representative form of government that we have in the U.S., flawed as it may be, makes being "in touch" part of the job description.

6 members found this post helpful.

Psst -- reps are two years, not four. But definitely agree with the overall sentiment.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

1 members found this post helpful.

RIP most gallant Senator Inouye.

He was a total gentleman and a shining example of who we all should try to emulate.

While I agree with term limits, he is one of the few I would exempt.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I remember holding campaign signs for him one year, when I was around 8 or 9, along the roads...most folks in Hawaii really respected him. He was the man who always seemed to be there...hard to think of him gone...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.