The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GAH! Day 1 of recovery and I'm already bored

As some of you may remember from this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-saved-my-life

I had a little tumble back in June. Actually, not so much a tumble but more of a horse-fell-on-me sort of thing. Anyhoo, flash forward 6 months and my foot was still wonky, misshapen and painful. I hadn't been able to run or do anything high impact (which also means I've been doing the one-foot landing dismount)

Had surgery yesterday and while I appreciate the painkillers, the time out of the saddle is driving me bonkers already. I'm looking for local schooling venues to volunteer at and I think I've read all the top horsey books (some twice). Any other suggestions to pass the time?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Search for clinics to watch on you tube.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Take the time to learn a completely new skill. That can provide some really interesting insights into how you learn, how others teach, how difficulties are explained and overcome and it provides some new rewards. A friend has been learning the guitar, I've just been doing tapestry. Both have the advantage of not needing to stand on your feet to do them.

2 members found this post helpful.

Write your accident story and send it to a bunch of horse magazines. I went back and read your original post. You have a cautionary tale that reminds us of several important riding rules 1) Always were a helmet 2) always ride with a friend. 3) avoid riding on roads especially those with narrow shoulders. The fact that you continue to have medical problems so long after the original accident is a point left out of so many stories of crashes and wrecks. They also overlook the boredom, frustration and long term pain from what originally sounded like an uncomplicated accident. So glad you're around and willing to remind us all "Safety First".

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks littlebay, I regularly remind folks that a helmet saved my life.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

My boredom reliever of choice was buying the young horse I'd been talking about for a long time.. .but if I remember correctly you already bought yourself the horse from the accident, didn't you?

I will say that you never realize how behind you are in sleep until you are injured and don't have much to do. Reading a lot, and reading a lot of books with exercises and doing visualizations helped me a bit. I also did something else I don't normally do when I can ride a lot - I got a social life! It's kind of nice to actually throw the horses hay (they're at home) and go out to dinner instead of riding, feeding when it gets too dark to ride, then showering and making food because there's not time to do anything else.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Find the AP McCoy Autobiography book. It's awesome and I am having a hard time not calling in sick from work so I could lie in bed and read it all day!!!

Fantastic read.

Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Default Some Great new books and music might help ~

Some great new books and or music perhaps would ease your 'boredom"

Happy Holidays ~ hoping your 'lay-up' passing quickly ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I totally understand the boredom and the resulting discomfort from having to stay down and keep your leg/foot in specific positions.

Good movies on now and if you fall asleep no worries, the movie will be repeated later.
    Great suggestion for writing you story. Dragon Speech is really good in case you are unable to sit at the computer for long periods.
    You can do some exercise such as lite hand weights, crunches/sit-ups and as you foot heals some leg lift - all done while on the floor. Another exercise getting down there and back up. Yeah have had my own rounds with foot and leg surgeries/injuries.
    Reading and crafts (sewing, painting, knitting,etc) are great if it is something you enjoy.
    Hope you heal well and quickly. Allow yourself the time to heal. Also talk to your DR about physical therapy.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    My boredom reliever of choice was buying the young horse I'd been talking about for a long time.. .but if I remember correctly you already bought yourself the horse from the accident, didn't you? j
    Haha! Yep, guilty as charged! And he is in great hands (both boys are) while I'm out of the saddle. I get to watch them work which helps satiate my horse hunger.

Xctrygirl - thanks for the book idea, haven't read that one yet.

Fooler - definitely trying to continue working the core. Fortunately I was in good shape when the wreck happened. I had finished the Insanity series and was otherwise strong, I'm sure that helped me not break more things. Even not being able to do high impact exercises this last 6 months I've tried to keep the core still working. Not ready for the "over 40 swimsuit edition" , but not horrible

I'll be back to work before too long (in the stupid boot that forces you to walk like Frankenstein), but I'm being uncharacteristically compliant in my post-op instructions of NO riding.
    Cotton would fight.

You have my sympathy! I broke my leg 13 months ago and after 3 surgeries am still NQR. Hope to have hardware removal surgery in the next month or two -- which should improve my mobility and reduce my pain. (I'll be back in the Frankenboot for a month or so afterwards.... sigh.) Like you, I can't run at all, and I have to do the one legged dismount... also, the no-bouncing on the right foot mount, which is a bit tricky... Anyway, if I'd known from the beginning how long I'd be laid up, I would've taken better advantage. Learning something totally new (or working on something old) is great for getting you past the boredom. I learned to play the mandolin a little and explored the wonderful world of Coursera and other free online education. I think I might have enjoyed knitting or needlepoint but it didn't occur to me to do those things until I'd gotten busy with work again.

Hang in there -- the time will pass, and you will get better!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by petesperson View Post
    (I'll be back in the Frankenboot for a month or so afterwards.... sigh.) Like you, I can't run at all, and I have to do the one legged dismount... also, the no-bouncing on the right foot mount, which is a bit tricky...
    "Frankenboot" Now why didn't I think of that!

The one-foot dismount is especially entertaining off a 17+ moving target
    Cotton would fight.

I fractured my spine in August and I have been bored too... I just got the OK to ride a month ago but while I was on bed rest I ordered a couple of books from Amazon. Keeping myself involved in eventing helped a lot. I volunteered as a scribe for a dressage show. I also would go out and take photos of some of my friends who were still riding. I had my grandma teach me how to knit ear bonnets and decided to start selling them!

I played a LOT of video games but I have a feeling most people aren't into that :P
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Did you see this: http://www.equisearch.com/horses_rid...ign=Newsletter

You have my sympathy as well. I couldn't ride for about 6 mos. after surgery on my neck last year. Hope you'll have a speedy recovery.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I hope you are up and about before the end of January, but if not, this class on equine digestive anatomy and nutrition starts Jan 28. I also posted a notice in the thread in Horse Care.

https://www.coursera.org/#course/equinenutrition

Grey

Sex.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Sex.
    Typical
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Typical

My sympathies. I was lucky not to need surgery, but I have been in the Frankenboot since November 14. I broke it November 7, but I sort of couldn't believe I had broken it and walked on it for a week. Not too bright. I am scheduled to move to a shoe with a carbon plate on Dec 28, and I am unbelievably happy. Not sure when I can get back in the saddle. I never thought that one stupid broken metatarsal could take this long to heal.

I have been trying hard to catch up on over-due work, reading books, and watching TV on-line (which I never do, so it has been a guilty pleasure), keeps me amused, but bored, bored bored.

I did find a youtube of how to do yoga with a broken foot, so I have been doing that too.

Jingles that healing goes quickly for you.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Sex.
    I see Mr ACME has been sending out PMs again.
    Cotton would fight.