The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do you have a family tree set up in ancestry.com?? I've found I can attach files to certain people in my tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    It takes a fair amount of time if you can find a lot of people. You bring up each person one at a time, and then find their parents and stories. I kept going back on a bunch of lines because the lines kept going and the history was interesting. I ended up with about 6500 people on my tree and could keep going many times more than that, but I had found out enough for it all to sink in. I just did it on may laptop at night.

Now I can't figure out a way to save it all.

1 members found this post helpful.

My DH's family is pretty interesting. The last name is reputed to be an invention as it never existed in Holland so everybody with the name in the US is supposedly related. Personally I think his ancestor changed his name when he moved west as sort of an indication of where he came from but wanted to have a clean slate otherwise.

And I too have family members that say, oh yes, we knew that. So, you were going to let the information die with you were you?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Do you have a family tree set up in ancestry.com?? I've found I can attach files to certain people in my tree.
    Yes, that's the only place it's set up. Some lines are 70 or more generations long with MANY branches. I can't even figure out how to print it all out and be able to read it. Also, there are all sorts of pictures (like tombs in castles, and pictures of castles), and many long history stories about battles, wars, and sieges and such.

I completely placed an entire branch of my family tree with ancestry.com. My grandfather had only names to go on his side of the family and based on about two clues I got pictures, civil war records, marriage licenses, home addresses and direct relatives. It was absolutely amazing what I was able to pull together for an 81 year old man that didn't even know the names of his grandparents.

It totally explained me-turns out my great great grandfather raised cows and horses! lol

I don't use ancestry.com, but my "interesting" family heritage was that during the civil war a relative from GA joined the arm and ended up in the WV area. After the war he decided not to go back to his wife and family in GA and started a new family. I always wondered if the original family ever found out that he wasn't dead and how he felt and he made others feel by abandoning family #1. Bizarre- but probably more common and harder to trace back then.

Shortly before my husband passed away a friend discovered that on my husband was somehow related to British royalty. With the cancer and everything and the fact that the genealogy book can only be found at university libraries several hours away, I never pursued it further. Don't know if my son is related to any of the well known royalty or more of a removed royalty, but it was kind of a neat find... maybe we'll pursue it more someday.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I used to be able to rattle off most of my leinage off the top of my head, but since my stroke it has gone the way of the Dodo.
    I do remember that it is well documented back to 1099 in England before the Norman envason. That the family was in the courts of several kings and Queens of England. That someone in the family was envolved some king and his horses knowing the lines well back to the Arab that started the TB's(sorry I don't know the name).

In the US around 1640 he came to NY before it was called NY then went to PA with William Penn. He was called "the keeper of the Seal" he was also the majority land owner of what is now Kent county De.
    I have several rev.war with makes me ellegable for the dau of the rev.

On my father side he is related to FDR, and several other notables that I can not remember.

On dh's side I have found nothing mostly because IL insists that she is releted to Robert E Lee.. and refsus to release any doc. related to her family. And my FIL is from Italy and I don't do well with Italian.

I do not remember any thing more. Bout I do recall that I have one my old computer and in my box o stuff I have docutements that support everything for all 24k names on my tree.
    The key for people to believe is documents. Pictures of castels are nice but the documents will prove your claim. no doc no proof..
    IE: I can say I am related to (insert person here). but with out proofs it means nothing...
    Friend of bar .ka

I have done quite a bit of research on Ancestry over the years for my family and dh's family. Eventually I am going to put it all together in a book for dd. The main branch of my family that I have been researching came to America from England in 1624. In England they can be traced back to Wales pre-1300, although it's difficult to get concrete verification. My Gramma's line traces back to Germany and Russia. DH's lines go to Ireland, Switzerland, and England. My Grampa's mother's line goes to France.

It's a fun hobby but it sure can get frustrating at times.

There are several of us working on a couple of sites, and we get all the way back to the 1860s through documents existing here and nothing overseas. Great grandfather on Dad's side came from East Prussia according to the papers, and the trail disappears; that side of the family came from what is now Poland and more from what was East Germany. It isn't so much a language thing but a bombing thing since enough of us can wade slowly through records in German. Mom's side isn't much easier although I did track down living relatives in Germany.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

That is so cool to read all of your stories. I've thought of trying this but was afraid I wouldn't be able to find anything and it would be a waste of money. Maybe I will try Ancestry after all!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

They probably have a free trial-I'm not sure.

The way it works is you need one individual to start with who has two or three known facts such as name, birth date, place of residence. One you search for that person and find him in the database, you add that person to your tree, and hope that clues come up. Clues lead to one generation back at the time.

Clues come from several places. The best is the Milenium File, which has been done by pro's and contains 880,000 individuals, mostly royalty, or historical basis such as Christenings, Marriage records, famous in history for some reason. If your ancestors are mostly royalty, and listed in the Millenium File, I think it can be taken fairly seriously.

Usually, the first clues come up from public member trees that other people have saved. These are not the most reliable for being true, but with careful reading and some more searches, you can usually verify. I've seen them where the Son of the Father is also listed as the Father of the Father. Fortunately, if you find you have saved something that obviously isn't correct, you can edit your tree.

You need to be able to read fast, and make good decisions fast, or it could be a VERY slow process.

Also, any member can save anything to a person, so this is where stories, and pictures (such as grave sites, castles lived in, and such) come from that you can save to the same person to your tree if you so choose.

Someone mentioned they were a descendent of some King, like one of the Henry's. If you are a descendent of a King Henry, you are at least a descendent of many Kings behind him, probably on all the branches of that line many times, and through Charlemayne, and back to famous Roman leaders.

Just last night one of my relatives brought me a will that he had found which listed one of my Mother's ancestors in 1791. I was able to plug that individual in and found many generations back, including one was given the title Sir who was born in 1575, and his Father, born in 1550, went to Oxford. I haven't done any more research on that since last night, but from what I saw about men who were given titles by a King or Queen on my Father's side, for the most part married girls from royalty. Also it was interesting that a number of her ancestors lived into their 90s in the 16 and 1700s, and have a bunch of children. That must have been pretty hard to do back then in days before antibiotics when you could die from an infection if you cut your finger.

ancestry.com cost from something like 25 to 35 dollars a month, and since I have found so many individuals on my tree, and keep finding other interesting stuff like my Mother's lines, it's pretty hard to save it somewhere and stop paying the monthly fee.
    Last edited by Tom King; Dec. 27, 2012 at 08:53 AM.

The last time I used it, you could pay for a year's subscription if you wanted to, instead of doing it monthly.

I have also used Rootsweb, and don't forget to look over the censuses on Ancestry with your own eyes, sometimes the people who do the inputting miss things or misread spellings.

My mother's side of the family were here before the Revolutionary War.

My dad's side were from the Netherlands. Turns out they too were not immigrants, but colonists. The first relative to cross the Atlantic came as a financial officer for The Dutch colony. I have relatives buried all over Albany.

My most famous ancestors are the Roosevelts. President Theodore was a cousin, as was his niece Eleanor. Her grandmother is my great X 5 aunt.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

The census is fun to look through. You have to remember there is a lot misspelling both by the original census taker and also by the transcribers. Sometimes the names become Americanized to. Sometimes you have better luck looking for a child or spouse of the family. People get missed also, the further back you go the less information. It may just list number of males or females between certain ages.

In the 1930 census they have my mother born in a different country. So it's not 100% accurate but it's something.

We have a local version - and I am proud to say that I am a peasant ! Not only that, I have a genuine Scottish sheep-stealing stow-away about 4-5 generations back who, after 15 years afore the mast, "died of his injuries" in our capital city. (He died of wounds incurred in a street-brawl on our then-less than saulbrious water-front .)

And, no, he didnt immigrate with the rest of the family -he got out before he was taken up by the magistrates - I knew the story from my grandda and then found his grave when walking through one of our old graveyards.

And everyone is related by blood to some famous person - it doesnt mean that you are related, just so that you share a common ancestor
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

I've mosty been using findmypast and familysearch.

I have an apparent connection to Queen Elizabeth, through a common (Peploe) ancestor back in the 1600s. That same Peploe ancestor connects me to the fascist Oswald Mosley, and the FIA president Max Mosley.

One ancestor, Richard Battiscombe, was a Puritan who emigrated to the Mass. Colony in 1635, but returned to England in 1650. The Battiscombes trace back to 1180 as "landed gentry" in Dorset and the surrounding area. Richard's nephew, Christopher Battiscombe, was one of the leders of the Monmouth Rebellion, and was executed by the "hanging" Judge Jeffries. Richard's descendents included prominent nonconformists (forbidden to hold official office until well into the 19th cnetury), but also the official pharmacist to George III. My ggggrandfather, William Battiscombe, among other things, was part owner of the Bridport Brewery, founded in 1794, and still in business today as Palmer's Brewery, in Bridport.

I have a couple of artists (the brothers Thomas Peploe Wood and Samuel Peploe Wood) in the 19th century.

Lots and Lots of "Agricultural Laborers", including some who spent time in the workhhouse. One branch worked for Burghley House(mostly as shepherds) for several generations. My grandmother worked (as a cook) for the Astors.

I found a 4th cousin once removed, in the US, Horace T Pentecost, who invented a personal helicopter in the late 1940s.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).