The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Default ancestry.com

Anyone else found that they have an interesting background? I had only known my pedigree a few generations back. Long story short, after joining ancestry.com, it turns out I'm a direct descendent of probably every royal person, and famous warrior there ever has been in the Christian world prior to the early 1600s. My Y chromosome line goes back all the way to 344 BC, with every individual some sort of royalty, mostly kings. First person that actually took the name King was in something like 1326. He lived in the castle used in the Harry Potter movies.

Sailing friends have told me that I must be a natural born sailor. Turns out there were a number of ships captains on my top line. One captained a ship to Jamestown in 1609, and his son captained a number of ships to the colonies, including one to Mass. in 1620. Those boys weren't royalty, but they were descendents of royalty, and married royal direct descendents of Charlemayne.

Probably every person with ancestors in the Christian world can claim to be a descendent of Charlemayne, but probably 15 percent of my blood comes through him. His ancestors went back to the Romans, which makes Mark Anthony something like my 68th Great Grandfather, and thereabouts, for 1,000s of times.

My ancestors came in through Jamestown, and in the early 1700s, the Crown started giving away 1,000 acre chunks of land in Brunswick county Va., where I was an 8th generation resident when I was growing up. The people who came and took that land were mostly already living in the country.

A lot of such family records were lost when Courthouses were burned during the Revolutionary War, as was the case with the other 5 brothers of my 6th Great Grandfather, but he had gone down into what is now N.C., and his records left no gaps in the pedigree.

Turns out I'm also a relative of, not only the Queen, but a number of Presidents- not directly down the line, but am to GW's sister.

The reason it was possible for all this to come out was that records have been kept for a LONG time with royalty. Royalty only came from royalty since records have been kept for the most part.

My Y chromosome is the same as what is considered Viking Y chromosome, but even though I am a descendent of Viking kings, it's not on the top line. Turns out that the Vikings originally came from the same area that my oldest ancestors did-what's considered probably Troy.

I told a friend of mine that as far fetched as it sounded, the history was pretty well documented with all these royals, and I'd go along with it until they told me I was a direct descendent of Jesus Christ. That never came up, but some of my Welch ancestors did claim to be descendents of Joseph of Arimethea.......................
    Last edited by Tom King; Dec. 18, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

5 members found this post helpful.

I've thought about checking it out...rumor has it the Clark's in my family are related to William Clark of a certain famous expedition...

Cool stuff, Tom!

That's pretty cool... I may have to go digging some day. I know a lot of my wife's ancestry through stories and research (it pretty amazing), but mine's a bit spotty and currently up on it's ear on my mother's side... and I haven't ever gotten round to asking my uncle about my father's side... I think he's the Keeper of all things for my dad's side of the family.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I have and find some of the women I'm descended from interesting. One was a puritan named "Thankee Lord" last name. Who says they didn't have a sense of humor. She had a daughter named Trial who along with her husband had to go before church council where she and her second husband were convicted of "fornication outside of marriage" He was whipped and she was saved from being whipped by her father who paid the fine. There was another woman back in 13-1400s who lived up into her 90s. Quite an accomplishment in those days when so many women didn't survive child birth. I have 3 "dead ends" I'd like to flesh out but will wait and see if they get more data to look through. It's expensive and the first time I did it, I waited a few years and there was much more data to check.
    We're related Tom King, probably 189th cousins or something through Henry 3. I haven't even looked at my Norwegian side because all that is in a book, (in Norwegian of course) but goes back as far as they can, when all the records were burned. That covers 3 our of 4 of my grandparents. I think I would be overwhelmed hunting up all 4 branches.

It has been interesting seeing which things I was told growing up were true and which were not. More have been true than have not. My Mother would have loved having so much available information to sift through. She did so much by writing letters and waiting for responses. Such patience.

2 members found this post helpful.

I met my fourth cousin through Ancestry (tagged a photo she had loaded and identified mystery faces for her) and she mailed me letters and photos my great grandmother had sent to her great grandmother. I wonder what those long ago cousins would think of their great grand daughters meeting "on line" and enjoying their old pen pal correspondences?

I traced one side back to the Plymouth colony and have only been dabbling on the other side. I am not the first geneologist in my family so no earth shattering revelations. I'm working on my husband's family though and we are still trying to get to the bottom of why grandpa Louis changed he name so many times and exactly what he was up to when he was in Bama.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

My great great grandfather's mother was hastily sent to the USA from Sweden when she was withchild. My great great grandfather was born and she went back to Sweden; his name was Gustaf Adolf. He was born illegitmate. This was during the reign of Gustaf V of Sweden. My great great grandmother (also from Sweden), who married my grandfather Gustaf, was a very religious woman and would never swear...except when she spoke of how the royals would visit the farm lands and pester young farm girls and she would say "you would have to tell them to 'Go to Hell'" So, this combined hatred of the royals, my grandfather's illegitemacy, his name and the era all made me think, hmm, maybe I am a royal Swedish decendent LOL!! It is pure speculation on my part, I have no proof. Other than that, my lineage cannot be traced to anything remarkable, of course I haven't really tried that hard either.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

My Aunt on my dads side has done some research...what we know is that we are Daughters of the Revolution, my Grandmothers 1st cousin was Ty Cobb, and another of her uncles or great uncles was the Gov of Georgia during the Civil War and ended up Sec of State. On my moms side, what we know is that my grandmothers family came here through Ellis Island, but there was a name change and things get a little sketchy.

Tom, you and I must be related ;P...except my early American ancestors came almost exclusively through the Pilgrims (8) and the following ships to New England.

And they go 'way back on both sides..Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, France, Spain, Italy, Russia, Hungary...Merovingians, Holy Roman emperors, Persians, Hebrews, Egyptians. There's even a Han princess in there somewhere along with Massasoit's brother.

Like to consider me a mutt, as we all are. I read somewhere that over 40 million Americans trace back to the Pilgrims.

But!! What a great way to learn history!
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

My great-uncle did a great deal of genealogy research during the early Sixties and come up with some most interesting things about the family history. He collected a bunch of fascinating stories, too, that have been passed down (or witnessed directly) over the generations - but the one that interested me most is the story of a great-to-the-Nth-power grandmother, Winnifred Benham, who along with her daughter were the last people accused of witchcraft. They were acquitted, but Mr. Benham could not bear to live in Connecticut and moved his family to New Amsterdam (later New York) a couple of years later.

I have all his notes - someday I'll have to really look through them. He was a meticulous man and he made this project a big part of his retired years. I'm glad he did.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

My great-great-great Grandmother Johanna came to the US through Baltimore on June 18, 1868. She was 30 years old and newly married, but not to great great grandma Anna's father. He was a captain in the Prussian army and apparently paid her handsomely to take the baby and relocate. The family settled in Wisconsin. Her home still stands, but the barn was long ago burned by a relative. Idiot didn't realize he left a trail right to his door. Through the snow. The farm has been converted into a subdivision with large mature trees. I lived in that town for most of my life and didn't know until this last spring.

I have a 4-generation photo of Johanna, Anna, great-grandma Florence (who held me, but died just a couple weeks after I was born) and my grandmother's oldest sister who is still alive. Irene is about a year old, which dates the photo to 1919.

I've been able to track another branch back to the 1700s, but I keep getting confused as to who beget whom thanks to the tradition of naming the kids the same thing, generation after generation AND marrying women with the same names as their sisters.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

One of my cousins did a heroic job of researching our paternal family line and then locating and contacting cousins in Poland and Ukraine. She and her parents had a wonderful two week trip this year to meet all theses cousins in person. For most of my life, we were never sure these people existed. Once my grandparents emigrated, there was minimal contact with 'the old country'.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Nobody intriguing thus far.. but within a couple of days of putting up a skeleton family tree, I heard from a relative by marriage that I hadn't seen since I was a child. I've had two more contacts since then - one filling in info - some of it colorful - on my ggfather's family and the other resulting in a meeting between long lost cousins of my mother's second husband.

Didn't expect any of that to happen with I put in the info' I knew.

I've found that much of what I had been told wasn't true, much to my dismay. It does turn out that both sides of my family are pretty heavily Pilgrims, and there was quite a bit of inbreeding back in there. I do have one male ancestor who was tried as a witch and found innocent, and several others (on both sides) who were charged with not being Mennonite enough and sentenced to live in the New World because of it. I have always identified with my Scots/Irish heritage, but I was sad to find no Irish and only one line of Scots. There is a dead end with a name that is very Scottish though, so there is hope.

I've found that if you can trace back to the early-mid 1700's the records get better and better. Some of the 1800's census documents don't have names (Tennessee for one) so it makes it much harder to follow.

I'd always assumed my family was comprised of recent immigrants. I know my great-grandmothers spoke Russian and Polish, and that neither talked about their husbands much -- one referred to her late husband as "that crazy Dutchman" and one never referred to her husband at all, as I gather he was a bit of a b@stard. Both women were from immigrant families, whose parents had left their home countries after they were born. I had always assumed their husbands were, too.

I was able to get all the way back to the middle of the 10th century on my maternal grandmother's side, but as you said, that's down to the excellent record-keeping of land holders (not royalty, but certainly quite well-born) and, in our case, the Church. Turns out there's an entire encyclopedic work written on our family (circa 1911) and I'm related through that branch of the family to several presidents. Who knew? This is the "crazy Dutchman"'s family -- part of the group of original Dutch settlers in the U.S. So, not so recent immigrants after all!

On my maternal grandfather's side, I discovered more (English) family that settled in the Hudson valley prior to the Revolution and that I'm eligible to be a Daughter of the American Revolution several times over on that side. I didn't even know I *had* family of English descent! My maternal grandfather's mother spoke Russian, so I assumed that her husband had been Russian as well -- nope! My grandfather's grandmother was born in England, not terribly far from where I live today. The rest of the family had settled in the Hudson valley prior to the Revolution. I didn't manage to go quite as far back on that branch of the family, but there were two documented Revolutionary war officers among them. I had no idea!

The most irritating part for me -- I love my grandparents dearly, but my mother and I had no idea this information was out there. Every time we found something new, they would say "Oh, we knew that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Anyone else found that they have an interesting background? I had only known my pedigree a few generations back. Long story short, after joining ancestry.com, it turns out I'm a direct descendent of probably every royal person, and famous warrior there ever has been in the Christian world prior to the early 1600s. My Y chromosome line goes back all the way to 344 BC, with every individual some sort of royalty, mostly kings. First person that actually took the name King was in something like 1326. He lived in the castle used in the Harry Potter movies.

Sailing friends have told me that I must be a natural born sailor. Turns out there were a number of ships captains on my top line. One captained a ship to Jamestown in 1609, and his son captained a number of ships to the colonies, including one to Mass. in 1620. Those boys weren't royalty, but they were descendents of royalty, and married royal direct descendents of Charlemayne.

Probably every person with ancestors in the Christian world can claim to be a descendent of Charlemayne, but probably 15 percent of my blood comes through him. His ancestors went back to the Romans, which makes Mark Anthony something like my 68th Great Grandfather, and thereabouts, for 1,000s of times.

My ancestors came in through Jamestown, and in the early 1700s, the Crown started giving away 1,000 acre chunks of land in Brunswick county Va., where I was an 8th generation resident when I was growing up. The people who came and took that land were mostly already living in the country.

A lot of such family records were lost when Courthouses were burned during the Revolutionary War, as was the case with the other 5 brothers of my 6th Great Grandfather, but he had gone down into what is now N.C., and his records left no gaps in the pedigree.

Turns out I'm also a relative of, not only the Queen, but a number of Presidents- not directly down the line, but am to GW's sister.

The reason it was possible for all this to come out was that records have been kept for a LONG time with royalty. Royalty only came from royalty since records have been kept for the most part.

My Y chromosome is the same as what is considered Viking Y chromosome, but even though I am a descendent of Viking kings, it's not on the top line. Turns out that the Vikings originally came from the same area that my oldest ancestors did-what's considered probably Troy.

I told a friend of mine that as far fetched as it sounded, the history was pretty well documented with all these royals, and I'd go along with it until they told me I was a direct descendent of Jesus Christ. That never came up, but some of my Welch ancestors did claim to be descendents of Joseph of Arimethea.......................
    Just curious, does this new knowledge change how you feel about yourself or your life?

I had some ancestors come through Ellis Island as well. Name change and spelling issues. OY

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    My Aunt on my dads side has done some research...what we know is that we are Daughters of the Revolution, my Grandmothers 1st cousin was Ty Cobb, and another of her uncles or great uncles was the Gov of Georgia during the Civil War and ended up Sec of State. On my moms side, what we know is that my grandmothers family came here through Ellis Island, but there was a name change and things get a little sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyclubrocks View Post
    Just curious, does this new knowledge change how you feel about yourself or your life?
    No. It's just pretty cool knowing what's back there, and I learned an awful lot of history that I didn't know in the process. I still have to get up and go to work tomorrow.

All that was on my Father's side. I can't even find all my Mothers Great Grandparents, but no one has done the research in a couple of counties yet. She's 97, sings lead soprano in the church choir, plays piano or organ when the musicians don't show up, is the undisputed best cook at church, has all her teeth and never had a cavity, is completely clear headed ( I call her and ask a name when I can't remember it from years past), makes all her own financial decisions, and is doing quite remarkable for anyone not even factoring in her age. I told her I couldn't even find all her Great Grandparents, but I would't trade the bottom half of my pedigree for another one like the top.

3 members found this post helpful.

How much time/effort does it take to find all this out? My sister has dabbled in it for our family, so I guess I can just mooch off her work But it's pretty interesting what you guys have all found out.
    We have the similar Ellis Island "etch-a-sketch" syndrome, where names were arbitrarily changed. Then again, not sure how much I want to know-- we have kind of a lot of Irish drunks in my family

All the talk in my family of ancestry was on my father's side. Mostly German/French, and they arrived mid 19th C, then headed upstate New York to make cheese. My grandfather and brothers had a large store, and according to my father's tales, they were pretty high up in town. The first family to get a car, etc. Still haven't been able to confirm which princess reportedly ran away to marry which errant great great great grandfather however.

Then my mother only talked about the Danish sailors on the father's side in her family, with great-grandfather captain of a tri-masted schooner that would sail from New England to South America for bananas, among a few other things.

Then a cousin and my sister started digging with ancestry.com, and lo! and behold!, the wacky Scots-Irish from my mother's mother's side did have ancestors that went back to the Mayflower. Evidently all lineage on women's side was ignored for ages, thinking it only wise to be concerned where the men came from? And we can also sign up for the DAR as well. My sisters have jumped in, I'll think about it one day when retired and not riding perhaps. Otherwise I may have to ride all over the countryside to meet relatives.

PS Sisters and I, however, have driven up to New Brunswick to locate graves of relatives who migrated to the north of Maine/New Brunswick a couple of generations after the Mayflower. Sad to find some of the markers still buried or fallen over in overgrown cemeteries, practically requiring a machete to break through. But at least they were there. Not sure I picked up on their aura though.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    How much time/effort does it take to find all this out? My sister has dabbled in it for our family, so I guess I can just mooch off her work But it's pretty interesting what you guys have all found out.
    We have the similar Ellis Island "etch-a-sketch" syndrome, where names were arbitrarily changed. Then again, not sure how much I want to know-- we have kind of a lot of Irish drunks in my family

It takes a fair amount of time if you can find a lot of people. You bring up each person one at a time, and then find their parents and stories. I kept going back on a bunch of lines because the lines kept going and the history was interesting. I ended up with about 6500 people on my tree and could keep going many times more than that, but I had found out enough for it all to sink in. I just did it on may laptop at night.

Now I can't figure out a way to save it all to anything that will be legible.