The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default Please tell me....

that you did not run out and buy an assault rifle right after this shooting????? If you did....seriously???????
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

6 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I shamelessly admit that I did....and it's the best Super Soaker I have ever bought too! It actually feels well made.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

14 members found this post helpful.

I'm a Nerf gal myself...
    water and I don't mix well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

For those who did, it doesn't seem to be without reason. Retailers have started pulling them from shelves.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I'm a Nerf gal myself...
    water and I don't mix well...
    It's because you're so sweet... you'll melt.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Everytime I see those NERF action league or whatever the heck it is commercials, I wonder if there really are people who buy those things and use them in a competitive fashion. I sure haven't seen any evidence of it but they keep marketing it as such!

Why would people run out and buy assault rifles because of the Sandy Hook tragedy?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Why would people run out and buy assault rifles because of the Sandy Hook tragedy?
    Because they want to get them before an AWB comes down.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Resale value and to be frank, there are a lot of people who do go into gun shops, buy guns at discount or they buy as many as legally allowed within the laws and buying period if applicable, and resell them to anyone with cash. I know people who make significant amounts of money doing that on the side and it's all cash and untraceable.

5 members found this post helpful.

After you wrap your mind around getting little things under control-- drinking and eating out, credit card debt, you can think about the big things, too.

Some great savings for me:

1. Where I live. Never, ever live in too much house. It's your largest, non-negotiable bill. Every time you spend, say, $200 each month to live amid granite countertops, you can't spend that somewhere else.

2. Cars. The same logic applies on a lesser scale. I'm a big fan of used cars, preferably bought with cash.

3. Otherwise, it can help you Ramsey-ites to think about interest this way: It is cash out of your pocket now or in the future for crap bought in the past. Where is the joy in paying for something that's over?

IMO, even if you are living paycheck to paycheck, you don't need to feel exempt from the savings thing. But you can feel that you earn money by not allocating some of it to interest. Get to the place that you can buy stuff with cash.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Wrong thread.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Nice try at levity Lex. But seriously...how could you? Why would you? And for heaven's sake why does anyone NEED one????
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    After you wrap your mind around getting little things under control-- drinking and eating out, credit card debt, you can think about the big things, too.

Some great savings for me:

1. Where I live. Never, ever live in too much house. It's your largest, non-negotiable bill. Every time you spend, say, $200 each month to live amid granite countertops, you can't spend that somewhere else.

2. Cars. The same logic applies on a lesser scale. I'm a big fan of used cars, preferably bought with cash.

3. Otherwise, it can help you Ramsey-ites to think about interest this way: It is cash out of your pocket now or in the future for crap bought in the past. Where is the joy in paying for something that's over?

IMO, even if you are living paycheck to paycheck, you don't need to feel exempt from the savings thing. But you can feel that you earn money by not allocating some of it to interest. Get to the place that you can buy stuff with cash.
    I ma thinking this slipped into the wrong thread...

But on topic: if you don't buy a big rifle you safe tons of money on ammo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Because they want to get them before an AWB comes down.
    Ah, that makes sense. Mass hysteria taking effect, Ermagerd therr comin after err GUNS!

Never occurred to me. My 9mm does me just fine, wouldn't cross my mind to build up an arsenal simply because the government *might* drop the ban-hammer on something that has no practical purpose in our society, that we don't actually need anyway.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Everytime I see those NERF action league or whatever the heck it is commercials, I wonder if there really are people who buy those things and use them in a competitive fashion. I sure haven't seen any evidence of it but they keep marketing it as such!
    My husband and I often take out our frustrations on one another via Nerf gun war... Its therapeutic to nail him in the forehead with one of those little nerfy things.

ETA: Me thinks mvp is hitting the box 'o wine early... and NOT sharing. For shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

4 members found this post helpful.

Don't judge me! I need protection from the small children who live across the street and next door. They are dangerous and aggressive little buggers.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Don't judge me! I need protection from the small children who live across the street and next door. They are dangerous and aggressive little buggers.
    I'll bet a paintball gun would fix their wagon. Probably get you in trouble though

I think mvp meant to post in the "How to save money" thread. May or may not be an indicator of how hard she's been hitting the wine box today.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    that you did not run out and buy an assault rifle right after this shooting????? If you did....seriously???????
    Well, this is going to be a very unpopular post, but I have to admit, being Canadian, I'm a bit frustrated and I descended from American roots just 1 generation removed. The definition of INSANITY is continuing the same behaviour and expecting a different outcome. There have been 61 mass shootings in the USA since 1989. All with assault weapons, most of which were obtained legally.

I get that a person might need a hand gun for personal protection and I'm okay with that. I get that you might need a hunting rifle to hunt food and use for protection I definitely get that. But no person in their right minds needs multiple assault rifles with the capability of shooting hundreds of rounds in a matter of minutes. Don't get me wrong. I grew up in a hunting family. I also grew up in and still have an active military family. We have guns for hunting. But seriously, assault rifles?? Come on. The only people who need those are military and police. You ask any military or police officer - a person getting assault rifles is getting one for the specific purpose of using it to kill another human being, whether it's deemed "self-defense" or not. When does the value of human life take precedence over the mere right to bear arms? Where is your right to bear arms protecting people in shopping malls and schools? Really what's needed is more police services and stricter regulations when it comes to who can get these guns because be assured you don't want a mentally unstable person getting a gun and yet the unstable do have plenty of access, don't they? And greater, much greater, mental health services.

FWIW - a hand gun quite efficiently does the trick when it comes to personal protection. Get yourself trained in how to use one inside-out and backwards and upside down. Learn how to keep said gun from forcibly being removed from your grasp by an assailant (because many stats show that many times a shooting victim's own gun was used against them). It only takes 1 well-placed bullet to protect yourself. I know this because I'm trained...and I don't miss. All of us kids were trained. You don't need to send out a hail of a hundred bullets from a gun whose clip holds a 100 rounds and takes literally 2 seconds to change said clip to a fresh one. A gun capable of shooting 100 rounds a minute is for mass destruction. It's purpose to send a flail of bullets to mow down as many people at once as possible. And if the need for war takes place, you can be assured, your military has more than enough weapons to outfit all who choose to participate in protection of Home and Country and the means for fast-track training of civilians in the use of same. Good grief, even Canada has that means available, so surely a military as advanced as the USA must!
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

22 members found this post helpful.

I did not. In fact, I do not own a gun and do not intend to. It would do me precious little good as I'm sure I'd freeze and not be able to shoot anyone.

Well I couldn't buy one even if I wanted to do so.

Chicago has the strictest ban on gun possession in the US. We're not talking concealed handguns - let alone assault weapons (banned since 1992) - but just the process of seeking a formal, legal and authorized purchase of a gun.

So with all of this control over the legal sale, possession and use you'd think this city is safe. We're on track to have over 500 deaths this year from guns. Every weekend - every one! - there are at least a half dozen people shot.

Very simple examples just for the City of Chicago in the last four months:

Dec 3, 2012: "8 Killed, At Least 30 Wounded In Weekend Violence"

Sep 17, 2012: "At Least 6 Killed, 23 Wounded In Weekend Gun Violence"

Aug 31, 2012: At Least 6 Killed, 23 Wounded In Weekend Gun Violece "

Aug 20, 2012: "6 Dead, 36 Wounded In Weekend Gun Violence"

The point being that gun control is meaningless when illegal weapons are everywhere. At least in Chicago folks aren't being shot by the $600 Walther PPKs bought legally a gun shop by registered owner.