The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I never have. But most of the time, I deal in horses that you put on the trailer and drive away ASAP. Few sale contracts, paper trails, or even names. You want it, you go get it with cash and a trailer and don't ask too many questions while you're there.

y.
    WOW! Sounds mysterious.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    WOW! Sounds mysterious.
    Oh, no..far from it. A few were from a rodeo stock contractor that is also a "kill buyer" (not one of those shady deals like Camelot/ESP/etc.), a few came off craigslist as free or a few hundred dollars, through a friend of a friend's acquaintance... etc. Most of them either see horses as livestock or just want to be rid of it NOW, and don't want to deal with eleventy-billion questions about what poopsie eats for breakfast and whether he gets shoes every five weeks or six.

My favorite horse, the one that is stuck with me for life, was a freebie off craigslist.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    There's no way to tell what the other options were, but I seem to recall that this filly generated a lot of interest here on the giveaway forum, and it appears as though there was at least one other offer to take her. So this statement seems a little misleading to me, given the information available. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...S**-Home-Found!
    Busted. I suspect the OP was trying to gin up some sympathy...seems to be a bit of a habit.

From the giveaway thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    And SW - I hope I didn't step on your toes - I know you wanted her, but I am glad that she'll stay within driving distance of her current owner. Of course, now this means that you still have room for a furry friend!! Have you checked out Camelot Auction House? I am ALWAYS seeing quality horses being posted on their Facebook page for dirt cheap.
    Sure is a different story from what you stated on this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    I took the pony in, since she was said to be in dire need of a home, and no one else was stepping forward. Another COTHer years ago, had given one of my ponies a nice home, and I wanted to pay it forward.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

FWIW, I never do a PPE when I buy for myself. When it a client? Mandatory.

I didnt do a PPE on Nanny Pony. AND she cribs, which was not revealed to me. Best money I ever spent
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

N/M
    Last edited by Freebird!; Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: because some people need to get a life. I choose to not be among them.

I agree with Wayside and Lauraky. From all the multiple threads about this little filly, it seemed that she was just fine until she got some hoof injury or disease........and did not get prompt treatment by a farrier, that's FARRIER, and a vet. Now that she has issues, she's not what OP wants, but OP wants to have everyone tell her it's ok to get rid of the filly.......and to tell OP that it's not OP's fault.

Anyhow, I hope the filly, whom OP says is "not photogenic," ends up someplace where someone will have competent farrier and vet treat her.

By their design, horses are built to have hoof and leg injuries. So using a competent vet and competent farrier when the horse is sound is essential to dealing with injuries and diseases when they occur. You cannot let a hoof injury or disease slide and then blame everyone but yourself. Poor filly.

4 members found this post helpful.

The Xrays proved that the injury was old - as in a year before I owned her. She has a good vet and a good farrier - I would be happy to show you her feet. She came to me with severe thrush, which I also treated. I never once said I was going to "get rid of her". I simply said tbat a good solution had been found - and yes, I am retaining ownership. I started this thread because I knew that others felt the same way I did. It wasn't to drum up sympathy, or even really talk about my horses in particular.

Anyway, it obviously doesn't matter what I write here, because reading comprehension is not the forte of everyone here. By all means, carry on you two...

I agree...the thread asked "anyone else ever feel like throwing in the towel?" so if you're not here to participate in that question/conversation, take it elsewhere.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Ever since I went through hell with my wonderful, beautiful mare I have just not had the same passion about it, and have thought about just throwing in the towel many, many times.

fwiw, I have bought horses with and without PPEs and have not found it guarantees anything. I spent a ton on one OTTB PPE, turned out he had a huge chip in the ONE joint we didn't xray (knee). My Hanoverian mare was bought through a friend and I had a PPE minus xrays done after I brought her home, she "passed". I spent 3 years being told by many vets she was sound, but it turned out she had neurological deficits. MANY people I know have had nuero horses pass extensive PPEs.

Anyway, it's been a rough road. Some of us just seemed to have a black cloud over us. My current pony is everything I want and tough as nails. Great conformation, sound as a dollar, barefoot, great mover, but now I have zero time to do anything with her Now my other life is getting in the way, and as a smart as a whip 3 year old she needs a lot of work. So she's off to a training program more than 2 hours away. If it's not one thing it's another.

We went through a bad bout of injuries and frustrations. Mine run in a herd and I had a mare causing trouble when a new gelding came home, she was for sale already but now it was a hassle to manage them, busting up the herd and moving them into separate enclosures. Doesn't sound like a big deal but when the DH is an adult beginner and the horses are at home you get to deal with their whinging about poor ____ doesn't get turned out with ___ anymore and ___ his sad/lonely/missing ___ and why this and why that and why not this and why not that??

There were moments I wanted to tie all of them to someone's gate. including DH.

Sold the mare, healed the wounds, and we're on better footing.

FWIW, I've never done a PPE on a horse I bought, and have yet to regret it. I encourage buyers to get one, whether buying from me or buying a horse I've suggested to them. I would never ever ever never take on any horse, sight-unseen. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Busted. I suspect the OP was trying to gin up some sympathy...seems to be a bit of a habit.

From the giveaway thread:

Sure is a different story from what you stated on this thread:
    I read that give-away thread. It must be a different thread than the one you read.

Hopefully someone will give you a life for Christmas. Merry Christmas btw.

6 members found this post helpful.

OP, it sounds like you have had a bummer of a year, I'm glad you have found a solution for the issue with the pony.

I have thrown in the towel a little I think, as in I no longer ride. I have two younger pasture puffs that will live out their lives with us, but my interests are going in another direction, so there won't be any more after they are gone. I do enjoy caring for them though, so the next however many years that I have them, don't feel like a burden.

I have never thought about throwing in the towel but I have questioned why I keep doing this. I lost my very talented show horse to colic and then my homebred gelding that I adored two weeks apart. I was devastated but I bought another horse fairly quickly. My new horse went lame within two months and dealt with that for a year until we realized it was a farrier issue. Two and a half years later my new horse is fully trained and ready to show next year and it is these times that keep me doing it. I think that I have lost my passion for showing but I will still compete next year. If something were to happen to this horse I will most likely give up riding. I still have two pasture pets and I will always have a couple mini-donks.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Diamond, that is heartbreaking. Actually a lot of sad stories, but they also show me just how resilient equestrians are, we just take a hit, and keep going, and eventually we learn how to land on our feet.

I'm sorry things have been rough. I've never really done a PPE, either. The one horse I really bought came off so lame at the first trot, the vet said don't bother to X-ray. Took her home for a month and bought her. She needs an X-ray of the head and isn't perfect, but she went from a green, badly broke broodmare to, two babies and five years later, 4th level.

The two horses I did buy for a client with x-rays had soundness issues. Conditioning does a lot for lamenesses.

I never give up, but I about gave up once. Finally took the mare I bred from breeding her to GP all by myself with no money, and lost her, pregnant. And, a "friend" turned out to be a psychopath who took her daughter and eventually broke her neck. I would have given up permanently if I hadn't my old guy, my heart horse, I would have just never gone back. He kept me going, and I got pia mare before I lost him at 31. Her oldest daughter is just starting to show and kicking ass.

Horses, life is always going to be hardships and tragedy. You have to face it or hide away.

I'm so glad you have found your way through this.

Not give up on horses. GIVE UP on (most) horse peeps. Sub human, semi-human, garbage garbage garbage. SICK OF IT. My husband used to opine that most horse people need a really good 12-step program. He wasn't talking about the relatively benign addiction to horses. What he was talking about was addictive behavior by those addicted to excess drama, pot-stirring, troublemaking and powertripping using horses as an excuse to indulge in same.

I still have my 30-something horses and a rescued draftie and they will be with me for as long as they live and unlike many horse people yes, I have made provisions for them in case they outlive me.

I have dumped nearly all of the horse people who formerly toxicked (with emphasis on the"ick" part) my life. I treasure my carefully selected intelligent adult (emphasis on GROWN UP definition of "adult") boarders and a handful of caring horse people who put horses first. Is this a rant? You BETCHA.

And so many of what I'm talkin' about are right here on this forum. I'm talking about those who in one way or another support cruelty to horses. You know who you are.
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by @$$ho!es." ~ William Gibson

I threw in the towel for 3 years, and frankly it was the best thing I ever did.

During that time I traveled, met new friends who have nothing to do with horses... and now that I've got some distance from the vast majority of my life which was almost 100% devoted to horses, I feel far more comfortable in my own skin.

I bought a new mare in 2010, but I had new rules for myself.

1. I will not spend more $ than I'm comfortable lighting on fire... that means, cheap horse, inexpensive trailer, tack, board, etc etc etc. I will never again stress over how much $ I'm spending on a hobby, because I have strict limits on what I will spend. If it ever gets to the point that it becomes uncomfortable, the horse goes. I've backed out of it before and I can do it again.

2. I will never allow too much of my happiness or ego to be invested in a horse. I fully acknowledge how much I love her and am glad I own her, but I also acknowledge that she is a PET. If she becomes injured and I can't ride her, oh well.. If that happens I will hopefully find others I don't own to ride when I want saddle time.

3. She fits into my life, not the other way around. My world does not revolve around her. I try to do my best with her and I'm thrilled if she goes well but if she doesn't it's no big deal. There's no sense in getting stressed over something as stupid as dressage training or jumping or whatever, sorry... it's supposed to be fun and if it's not you're doing it wrong. In the great scheme of things, horse sports don't matter and this is something more people should take the time to reflect upon every now and then. I think this every time I go in the ring and find someone riding an unhappy horse, both of them gritting their teeth trying to fix imaginary "problems" that the horse doesn't understand, and which don't matter anyway.

And, as a nice bonus, I've found that having this perspective is often enough to fix most training "problems." Take a deep breath, remind yourself that there are people who dont' know where their next meal is coming from and you are having the textbook definition of a First World Problem. Once you relax you can usually think and suddenly things fall into place. If they don't, whatever. You're doing your best and you weren't going to the Olympics anyway.

Bottom line: there's a whole world out there that doesn't have anything to do with horses and you're missing out if you don't experience it.

3 members found this post helpful.

I entirely agree. We SCUBA dive, we trail ride, we read, and I am planning a Charleston trip that is all about food/houses/history, horses need not apply. One can get so skewed they lose all perspective...