The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Leaving a barn

So I just had the joy of telling the place where I am currently keeping my mare that I am moving her on the 1st. The lady is mad at me, even though initially she said, 'just let me know when you are leaving'. First and last time without a contract, that is for sure!

Could the absence of 30 days' notice be the reason she isn't thrilled? 'Cause "just let me know when you are leaving" would mean, to me at least, "give me notice".

Quote Originally Posted by Koniucha View Post
    So I just had the joy of telling the place where I am currently keeping my mare that I am moving her on the 1st. The lady is mad at me, even though initially she said, 'just let me know when you are leaving'. First and last time without a contract, that is for sure!

12 members found this post helpful.

First and last time without a contract, that is for sure!
    Right, No doubt Bo feels the same way. 30 days notice is the standard. She will likely make sure she has a written contract in future.

OP -Do you really think that the contracts you will insist to sign in future will allow you leave with less than 2 weeks notice?

4 members found this post helpful.

Dont let it bother you too much. I moved barns last month. I gave my notice, was extremely nice, positive, and honest, it was so awkard. Barn owner was nice during our inital conversation but then started talking trash to other boarders, the lack of care was even worse than normal, and was doing everything he could to make my 30 day stay miserable so I had to move ahead of time and lose money. Thats probably what he wanted but oh well. Life goes on.......

I think most times, no matter how much you try to leave on good terms, it just doesn't happen. I don't know why places take it so personal or act like such idiots when it happens.

The last place I left wasn't by choice. The barn was going into more of a program type place and there were a few of us that didn't really participate in lessons/shows/clinics, etc. So they asked 2 of us to leave. Obviously to make room for others who they could make more money off of but they couldn't ask all of the people who didn't really participate to leave as that would have left a bunch of stalls empty. The 2 of us were good boarders. Always paid on time, had well mannered horses, etc. They were at least kind enough to give more than 30 days notice but the rest of the time I was there, wasn't comfortable at all. I was still nice and pleasant... same way I always had been.

I found a place and moved about 45 days after I received notice (1st of the following month since notice was given mid-month). On moving day, the BO/Trainer and Asst Trainer was there. I packed up, waited for my ride and when they arrived I went into the indoor to tell them goodbye before loading up. The Asst Trainer was nice enough. Said good luck and see you around. The BO/Trainer? Not so much. Not even a goodbye.

WTF? She's the one that kicked us out and I had stayed very nice and pleasant even though I was the one getting screwed.

In the end, it was for the best. All but one of the others who weren't really in the program have left now too for one reason or another. I love the place I am now. Better care, nicer people, more quiet, and cheaper! Should had left on my own eons ago. Have been at new place almost 10 months now.

So again, no matter how much you try to keep it nice and civil, I think most of the time... it just doesn't happen. There was only one place I left that things went very smoothly. I've never burned a bridge but this one person understood the horse business and that clients come and go. I really respect her.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    Could the absence of 30 days' notice be the reason she isn't thrilled? 'Cause "just let me know when you are leaving" would mean, to me at least, "give me notice".
    I have to agree with this.
    Seems even with out a written contract one should give more notice than this. Even more so with a holiday making it next to impossible for the BO to fill the stall.

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree with others that more notice (30 days) should have been given even without a contract. I don't know many people that just up and move to a different barn without knowing/thinking about it for awhile...maybe that's why she got mad. Everyone does need a contract though, just for instances like these. I would stay polite and apologize for the short notice. Don't get involved with any badmouthing.

You have to be a wonderful diplomat. Remember that even the most professional BO might feel a little hurt-- that his/her operation didn't please you. Go out of your way to limit that hurt. It's the right thing to do for all involved and your good behavior will produce rewards somewhere, some time.

Best wishes for your next barn.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Surely your sentence continued with, "And even though I am moving her on the first, I will surely pay board through January 18th or January 31 depending on how you would like me to handle the 30 days notice. Please just let me know which of those checks you would like me to make out to you."

14 members found this post helpful.

See, this is the problem. I have no problem giving 30 days notice, love it in fact. But when I asked for a contract, she said, 'oh I don't do a contract. Just let me know when you are leaving'. So I did. I am very honest with what I do. I pay on time every month. I clean up after myself and leave things better than they were.

See, this is the problem. I have no problem giving 30 days notice, love it in fact. But when I asked for a contract, she said, 'oh I don't do a contract. Just let me know when you are leaving'. So I did. I am very honest with what I do. I pay on time every month. I clean up after myself and leave things better than they were.
    Who cares if there is a contract?

Pick a number that is at least a full month's board if not the 6 weeks to get you to Jan 31, leave the check, add a $20 gift card for gas or donuts enclosed in a thank you note on your way out, and voila: diplomacy achieved.

5 members found this post helpful.

^^^

Contract or no, if you love giving 30 days' notice then you can/should still do that, right?

You didn't tell her about your departure on Dec. 1? Why not?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I wanted to add to that when I first got there, she told me that the horse will be rotated into the pasture. She has a beautiful pasture, which anyone that knows AZ, that is hard to find here! I have been there 3 months and my mare did not go out there once. For about the last month, she started telling me that she did not want to turn my horse out because she ran alot?? and she was afraid she would get hurt. Uh okay. Other horses on the property were turned out everyday. I am just glad I am now somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    ^^^

Contract or no, if you love giving 30 days' notice then you can/should still do that, right?

You didn't tell her about your departure on Dec. 1? Why not?
    I did not have a place on Dec 1st. The place was available on the 15th.

I wanted to add to that when I first got there, she told me that the horse will be rotated into the pasture. She has a beautiful pasture, which anyone that knows AZ, that is hard to find here! I have been there 3 months and my mare did not go out there once. For about the last month, she started telling me that she did not want to turn my horse out because she ran alot?? and she was afraid she would get hurt. Uh okay. Other horses on the property were turned out everyday. I am just glad I am now somewhere else.
    The question is not how SHE actED.

The question is how YOU are GOING TO.

5 members found this post helpful.

I think a few of the posters are being a bit dramatic about it. If there is no contract then it's really up to you how much of a notice you give. 30 days is standard but you were not obligated to do so. Sure you could do so if you wanted to. You have done nothing wrong. I would leave under those circumstances as well.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    The question is not how SHE actED.

The question is how YOU are GOING TO.
    In a professional way.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I think a few of the posters are being a bit dramatic about it. If there is no contract then it's really up to you how much of a notice you give. 30 days is standard but you were not obligated to do so. Sure you could do so if you wanted to. You have done nothing wrong. I would leave under those circumstances as well.
    Thank you. I was starting to wonder if I had commited a crime here! I don't feel like I did anything wrong either.

7 members found this post helpful.

So - wait.

How did you give notice that you're leaving on the 1st -- but you're already somewhere else?

Sorry -- you did wrong here. 30 days notice is what you should have done. The fact that you're A) having to ask and B) now talking badly about her practices just reeks of guilt-that-you-don't-want-to-admit.
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

We boarded at a farm years ago because we didn't have another option open at the time. We had an ottb that we were training to jump and this farm was a western QH farm. They knew we were jumpers are that we were not going to be there forever. They also had no turnout at all. (I know, I don't get it). So it was not a good long-term solution. We put ourselves on a waiting list at another barn. In the mean time, we were good boarders and had a good relationship with the barn owners. We would even take their grandson out for ice cream on occasion. Well, when a spot opened up in the new barn, we put in our notice. It was not good. The owner, known for being a tough ***,had teary eyes, and she refused to speak to us till the day we left. I felt bad, but it just wasn't where we needed to be. So, sometimes it just doesn't go well no matter how well it's done.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde