The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Super Comfort stirrup iron pads

Has anyone tried these? Make any difference for tired old knees?

https://www.tackoftheday.com/Product...2-12-17-stir-B

Most of my barn uses these and I just put them on a few rides ago. They apparently last forever. They are excellent for grip and don't scratch your saddle when you run your leathers up, which is what I was looking for. They are somewhat more comfortable on my joints than a regular hard rubber fillis pad but are not going to feel like a flex stirrup. That said, I went back to my plain irons from the Herm Sprenger flex stirrups because I just couldn't get good lower leg stability in those. These stirrup pads are something of a happy medium but again, only modest help for your joints.

Quote Originally Posted by molly8it View Post
    Has anyone tried these? Make any difference for tired old knees?

https://www.tackoftheday.com/Product...2-12-17-stir-B
    I have them on one of my saddles and like them. I don't think they are *significantly* more comfortable but they do seem to be much more grippy (which is great).

I've had mine for almost three years now. Definitely very durable. I'm not sure they make my irons that much more comfortable though, but its been awhile since I've ridden with regular ol' irons!

If you have joint issues, I would say go for Royal Riders. Riding in those is pure bliss!

I have these and really like them. My foot used to go numb after about 10 minutes in regular fillis irons and I don't have an issue with that anymore. I do better in wide track irons but don't like riding with the lightweight composite stirrups. I can't say if they help with joint issues but they definitely are more comfortable than regular old fillis irons.

I really like them!

Quick tip: a lot of people at my old barn who had them couldn't cut the plastic ties short enough with scissors so they would scratch their saddles or hands when running them up. Nail clippers clipped them perfectly to the base and leave it smooth.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

Couldn't imagine having anything else. I can't stand jointed stirrups and these offer a little extra cushion AND an amazing amount of grip.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I actually used hoof nippers!

Love love love. There was one show barn that had very fine sand in their ring and I was constantly losing my stirrups....that went away with this. Also I noticed the same thing about my knees not bugging me quite as much and my toes didnt' go numb.
    I've had mine for about 5 years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    I really like them!

Quick tip: a lot of people at my old barn who had them couldn't cut the plastic ties short enough with scissors so they would scratch their saddles or hands when running them up. Nail clippers clipped them perfectly to the base and leave it smooth.

Thanks everyone -- seemed like a good deal until I got the shipping options. $10?!?

I had those for a while and they were great, no complaints at all. I've now switched to Jin stirrups - http://www.jinstirrup.it/en/products.html - and will never go back. They're so much wider that they give you amazing support. After ankle surgery I needed as much support as I could get and I've found they really help with the joints.