The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does this sound like it could be HERDA?

My friend e-mailed photos of a horse they have that is currently under a veterinarian's care, but the vet has run out of ideas as to what is wrong. After many tests, the horse was thought to have pigeon fever and was treated for pigeon fever. I'm not sure the horse ever had pigeon fever, but it was treated for it because of antibodies in her blood for the disease (as I understand it secondhand). The horse is also anemic and is being treated for that.

Outwardly, the horse has lesions all along it's back, on a hock, and some areas on it's neck. Some are open, some or just bald spots so far. To be honest, I told my friends that it looked like the horse was having it's butt kicked by another horse, but they said they have the horse separated, so it cannot be that.

My friends are about to the euthanizing point, but want to make sure their vets haven't missed anything. They are in a sort of isolated area, so they don't have a lot of choices in veterinary practices. Since the horse is QH, I suggested maybe getting a HERDA test done, to be on the same side as I'm not sure what else it could be that wouldn't show up in a regular blood test. Originally, it was thought to be rainrot, but progressed much beyond that point and I have seen some photos of HERDA that look similar to this horse.

Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone have any experience with HERDA? How did it start?

I do have photos of the horse on Dropbox and if I can get them to download, I will post them.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

How old is the horse? Doesn't HERDA usually show up when the horse is started under saddle?

If the horse has had a riding career, I don't think HERDA is really a possibility.

Maybe pythium?

Have they done a skin biopsy? This is absolutely a must if they want a diagnosis.

Yes, they have done biopsies and came up with nothing. Every lesion has been clipped, scraped, and biopsied.

I believe the horse has been a pet mostly, no riding that I am aware of. I'm also not sure how old she is.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Any idea the horse's pedigree? HERDA belongs to a single bloodline, Poco Bueno (QH)

Even if it is HERDA, euth is probably the better choice anyway, as just about anything can cause the skin to split and slough

Well then it wouldn't hurt to do the DNA test for HERDA. It's a fairly simple test. If that is negative, and they still want to continue, then it sounds like a trailer ride to the vet school is in order.

1 members found this post helpful.