The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Waterproof" sheet is leaking...

About two years ago I purchased a "waterproof" sheet by TuffRider for my Arab mare. Even though it was purchased two years ago, I have use this maybe 20 times.

Yesterday we were supposed to get some snow and rain, so I put her sheet on in the morning. She wore it all day, and when I checked it last night, she was SOAKED underneath. She is not hard on equipment and doesn't lay down.

WTH?! I have no receipt, and even if I did, it was two years ago, I'm sure TuffRider wouldn't do anything about it now.

Is there anything I can use to re-waterproof it until I can afford to buy her a new, NOT TuffRider, turnout sheet???
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

There is wash-on waterproofer and spray on waterproofer. I've only ever used the wash on stuff and it's worked fine. I buy it at Dover saddlery, I'm blanking on the name. It's back by the Rambo wash. The spray on stuff is called Camp Dry and it stinks to high heaven. You can buy it at any sporting goods/camping store or even maybe Home Depot.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks!

I'm kind of pissed that its leaking after so few uses! Right now the horses are in the barn drying off, and the sheet is hanging in the basement by the wood furnace in hopes that it will be dry by tonight so I can turn them back out with their raincoats.

My mare HATES being stalled, so I really need a good waterproof turnout for her.

Water proofing does wear out. Have you washed it? If you do not follow the manufacturers instructions it can kill the water proofing when you wash it.

I have used the cheapest brand of spray on water proofing that they sell in the camping section of Walmart and it works fine for a season.

1 members found this post helpful.

Welcome to the club! I have used NEW tuffrider rain sheets only a few times in the rain and they seemed to do fine. The other night it rained (not hard) all night and the two horses with those sheets on were soaked underneath and I could ring the water out of the liner. My other two horses had on other brands that are over 2 yrs old and they were dry. I can't remember for the life of me who I bought them from. Some online tack store that was having a sale. Now to go through all my pay pal charges to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Water proofing does wear out. Have you washed it? If you do not follow the manufacturers instructions it can kill the water proofing when you wash it.

I have used the cheapest brand of spray on water proofing that they sell in the camping section of Walmart and it works fine for a season.
    It has never been washed.

My gelding has a Weatherbeeta that is at LEAST 10 years old, not kidding, and that one will leak eventually, but not like the TuffRider!

This morning, my mare was SOAKED, adn the weatherbeeta had just started to leak through.

GRRR!

Generally I think Tuffrider stuff sucks - sorry!

I re-water proofed my sheet this year with a 3M spray on water proofer designed for outdoor gear (like rain coats and tents). I bought it at Ace hardware. So far, so good, I can blast my sheet with a hose and it stays water proof.

But - this sheet (despite being a $30 Saxon!) didn't have leaking problems to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Generally I think Tuffrider stuff sucks - sorry!

I re-water proofed my sheet this year with a 3M spray on water proofer designed for outdoor gear (like rain coats and tents). I bought it at Ace hardware. So far, so good, I can blast my sheet with a hose and it stays water proof.

But - this sheet (despite being a $30 Saxon!) didn't have leaking problems to start with.
    No need to apologize, I now feel the same way! LOL! My gelding's backup sheet is a TuffRider, and his leaks too, and has a rip on a seam on the side (where the top material meets the bottom 6" worth of different material...) I never understood why blanket companies do this...just keep it all one material, no seams to deal with... It's like plaid on top, and black on the bottom 6".

I'm going ot call the tack store/local feed store where I bought these sheets and see if they can help me out. Small town, maybe the owner will honor something, even if its a credit towards the purchase price.

I am not sure how it is there fault that something you have had for two years is now not working 100% right.
    You have bought the same blanket more than once and now you are complaining about how it is constructed....

If you want a warranty spend the extra money and buy a blanket with a warranty.

A waterproof sheet, no matter who its from, should still be waterproof after 20 uses or less. I have had the sheet for 2 years, it doesn't get used regularly. It has never been washed, it doesn't get stored in the sun.

I can see re-waterproofing after a season or two, but after 20 uses? On a horse that gets blanketed regularly, you'd have to re-waterproof monthly!

You have bought the same blanket more than once and now you are complaining about how it is constructed....

I bought both of them at the same time, because both horses needed new sheets. I didn't buy one, realize it sucked, and then went out and bought another one anyways.

This is the wash on stuff... it works very well IME...

http://www.doversaddlery.com/nikwax-...of/p/X1-24160/
    ~Veronica

I am not sure how it is there fault that something you have had for two years is now not working 100% right.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    A waterproof sheet, no matter who its from, should still be waterproof after 20 uses or less. I have had the sheet for 2 years, it doesn't get used regularly. It has never been washed, it doesn't get stored in the sun.

I can see re-waterproofing after a season or two, but after 20 uses? On a horse that gets blanketed regularly, you'd have to re-waterproof monthly!
    I think trubandloki is just pointing out that you're likely going to put your small-town tack shop owner in a tough spot...they're going to want to make you happy, but it will likely be at the expense of their own business/profit margins.

Why would you not just be contacting Tuffrider?

There is no readily available contact information for TuffRider...I googled the company, and its like Tractor Supply Grain...there is no company specific contact...

I called my local store, and the owner gave me the number to the company they get them from, JPC Equestrian. I called them, and explained that I bought this sheet two years ago, and have used it maybe 20 times. Explained that its never been washed, and now it is leaking through within 12 hours and thte horse undrneath is completely saturated. The girl was a bitch, seemed like she was half listening, put me on hold for 15 minutes, came back on the line and said they can do nothing, to call the store I got it from. If the store would honor the return, they could mail it back to JPC and they would "inspect it" and issue a replacement.

So, I called the store back and spoke with the owner again, relayed this information. Owner said she would give JPC a call. Owner calls me back after about 10 minutes, said that the same woman at JPC had the same attitude with her, and told her that the blanekts only have a 1 year warranty anyways. The woman could've told me this when I talked to her, since i DID relay that I bought it two years ago... Anywho, the store owner said the JPC person was short and distracted with her as well. The store owner said she was going to place an order for some TuffRider sheets for some other of her customers at the store, but the customer service from the JPC employee was so bad, she's not placing the order with them.

If I could find a number directly to a TuffRider company, I would call them.

The nice JPC lady also told the store owner that I told her that I'd washed it 20 times...obviously she wasn't listening very well...

I'm always amazed when a rainsheet IS actually waterproof, or decently water resistant. That said, some are better than others and I'm sorry you got one of the less effective ones. Nikwax makes a good blanket waterproofer. Throw the rainsheet in the wash, and spray or sponge on the Nikwax stuff while it's still damp. If you put it on thickly the rain will bead up and roll off (for a while) and I usually get 3/4 of a season of daily wear out of one dose.

Tuffrider is JPC. www.breeches.com it's one of the JPC brands.
    ~Veronica

There is a lady who does waterproofing and blanket repair who picks up blankets at the feed store where I bought the sheet to begin with. She charges $18 for a re-waterproof. I'm going to bring them in and just have her do it (the weatherbeeta has a small rip that needs to be repaired anyways).

Same situation almost. I bought a tuffrider sheet for the pony and the 1st time she used it was a a windbuffer after hurricane Sandy. 2nd time she used it was during a day with showers on and off. It was chilly so I though both my animals were nice and dry under their sheets. If one was to leak I would think it would be my 3yr old amigo that's never been rewaterproofed. Nope it was the almost brand new sheet. Pony was pretty chilled underneath. It's been past the return policy of the tack store. I've bought the stuff to rewaterproof it.

Will never buy tuffrider crap again.