The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

The biggest rule: everything, and I mean everything being considered for purchase is discussed prior to buying it. Right down to the grocery list. We also use one credit card for all purchases, go through the statement when it comes for to review the complete record, and then pay it off each month.

The horse expenses have been reined in so we can afford to have them and enjoy them. No fancy extras, but good shelter, care, farrier and vet care are top priorities. After that, we use what we already own. We discontinued all breed/club memberships unless we actually used them. That brought it down to one. The rest we didn't renew. If the horses need clothes, etc, I buy at good sales, only. I do not frequent tack shops.

The grocery store: I use a less expensive, less fancy grocery store that still has a decent selection of products. I have changed our diets as we have gone along so we only buy chicken, turkey and fish for our meats (on sale), consume no cow's milk products (a big saver), eat fruits/veggies/whole grains and have now added more meals of beans and lentils, etc into the mix to get more protein into our diets and stretch the dollar even more. In winter we eat a lot of root vegetables, soups and stews. Coffee and tea is made at home. No sodas, little junk food, etc. The grocery store is a real PITA to stay ahead of in the budget department. We have cut way back on eating out.

Cars and gas: energy efficient cars that we keep until they die. We use one brand of gas, and price shop around town. Do the maintenance when it needs to be done so we don't end up with whopper bills from neglect. Price shop for insurance and bundle it with home and professional insurance. Be mindful of mileage, and car pool whenever possible.

Price shop for phone, computer and electric provider services. We do not have cable TV. Replace all electric bulbs with ones that are more energy efficient. That move alone dropped my monthly electric bill by $42.

Online ordering: bundle all supplements to qualify for free shipping, only buy at times of really good sales, use the library if at all possible, or purchase the odd book used. Ditto for clothes. I shop consignment stores. No mall crawls.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

`. Never have money
    2. Live at home
    3. lease vehicle
    4. sell horse
    5. work hard

I never ever carry cash.
    In fact I tell people "I don't own money".

I put everything on my CC. If I have cash--I spend it.

Other than that, I save money by living at home. ; )
    The farmette has two houses. One was def made for me.
    So I have no home owner bills and no boarding bills. (though keeping your horse/s at home can be just as expensive at boarding)

Also, I save money by leasing my vehicle. (not the truck)
    I drive them to death anyway and I get bored and need a new one every 4 years or so. Ooo, and leases usually put you in a much nicer vehicle for less payment.
    With a lease, I can also be a bad owner. I do the oil changes and that's it. None of the big stuffs ever come up during my lease payment. No new tires, no new breaks, no new spark plugs no new NOTHIN! whoot!
    When the lease is up--just go to another dealer--not the one you leased from and turn that sucker in for a new lease.

Also, I sell my horse every so many years. I love working with youngsters so when they hit 7-10 I cash in on them.
    That gets them to a new home before "mid aged" horse joint up keep comes into play and also keeps me happy because I am usually ready for a new challenge every couple years and this allows me to go get another 3 year old. : )

and last, I am fairly handy.
    I build jumps and sell them when I have time.
    I braid at horse shows and clip horses in the winter.
    That extra cash REALLY adds up.

oh, and glory to the RED BOX!!!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    `. Never have money
    2. Live at home
    3. lease vehicle
    4. sell horse
    5. work hard

I never ever carry cash.
    In fact I tell people "I don't own money".

I put everything on my CC. If I have cash--I spend it.

Other than that, I save money by living at home. ; )
    The farmette has two houses. One was def made for me.
    So I have no home owner bills and no boarding bills. (though keeping your horse/s at home can be just as expensive at boarding)

Also, I save money by leasing my vehicle. (not the truck)
    I drive them to death anyway and I get bored and need a new one every 4 years or so. Ooo, and leases usually put you in a much nicer vehicle for less payment.
    With a lease, I can also be a bad owner. I do the oil changes and that's it. None of the big stuffs ever come up during my lease payment. No new tires, no new breaks, no new spark plugs no new NOTHIN! whoot!
    When the lease is up--just go to another dealer--not the one you leased from and turn that sucker in for a new lease.

Also, I sell my horse every so many years. I love working with youngsters so when they hit 7-10 I cash in on them.
    That gets them to a new home before "mid aged" horse joint up keep comes into play and also keeps me happy because I am usually ready for a new challenge every couple years and this allows me to go get another 3 year old. : )

and last, I am fairly handy.
    I build jumps and sell them when I have time.
    I braid at horse shows and clip horses in the winter.
    That extra cash REALLY adds up.

oh, and glory to the RED BOX!!!
    I wish I was tall enough to date you.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    I put everything I buy on my Visa card. It helps me track my spending right down to the last penny. I pay my credit card balance off every day, online.
    Do you use your card everyday? I'm just curious if the credit card company has any issue with the frequency of payments coming in.

I would love to do this. I tried to use my rewards card once and put the cash aside to pay it off at the end of the month but I am just not that disciplined

In answer to the question above, no, the credit card company does not have a problem with you using the card all the time, for everything. The problem comes (and it's your fault) if you don't log all of the charges, and then get whammied with a great big credit card bill for a zillion little things.

As for the best way to save money, don't forget that contributions to your employer's 401K plan are a deduction for adjusted gross income on your tax return. If your employer does not have a 401K plan, then your deductions to a traditional (not Roth) IRA are deductible. The hard part is adjusting your lifestyle to have money to put into the plan, but it's well worth it if you can do it. Most people have to start with a small amount, and increase it over time.

This isn't something that can be achieved in a couple of years. We're talking 10, 15, 20 or more years of structure and restraint in your lifestyle. Sometimes it's a bummer not to have everything you want. You just have to decide if it's worth it.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Anytime I want to buy something, I translate the amount into how many hours of work it is to earn the money for it. If the sushi is not worth an hour of my time, I do not buy the sushi.
    I have been doing this very same thing since I had my first job!

I also eat only what's on sale- no kids to cater to. I do shop at Aldi's and the scratch-and-dent grocery stores. I hate Wal-Mart- I honestly do better at Kroger.

I make my coffee at home -usually gourmet coffee for $3/can from the above mentioned scratch and dent stores. Right now I'm drinking Godiva French Vanilla! Coffee at work is free. Every once in a while when I'm out and about I'll splurge on a dollar refill for my big insulated coffee mug.

I hate clothes shopping. Fortunately I have no need for good clothes. Scrubs are $4 at Goodwill. I get jeans and such at Rugged Wearhouse- last week I scored on a nice hoodie for just $2, and I can't remember the last time I paid for than $12 for a pair of jeans.

We do eat out about 3X/month because DH likes to. But it's rarely more than $25- sometimes we'll have lunch out because it's cheaper, and I've been know to use coupons. I wish there were more Restaurant.com restaurants in my area!

I usually don't eat at work unless it's free. DH takes his lunch. Sometimes a can of ravioli or soup, sometimes a sandwich. Occasionally I'll cook up a bunch of sausage patties, put them on little rolls, and freeze them in packs of 2 for DH's lunch. DH mixes up Koolaid to drink at work.

I have enough tack for several people, so I rarely buy anything. I have too many horses, I buy wormer in bulk with free shipping. I do my own shots and can handle most vet stuff on my own. We raise our own hay. We drive 40 miles one way for feed because even with diesel at $4/gallon, we save money over the local source and get better feed-we buy a month's supply at a time.

We drive older vehicles. The truck is fully insured, but my car is liability only. DH can do most repairs and maintenance on the vehicles as well as farm equipment.

Between the two of us, there's little in the way of installing/repairing stuff that we can't do.

My only regular "splurge" is a weekly lottery ticket, a $1 scratch-off. A couple times a year I might even buy a Powerball ticket. I consider it my cheap entertainment!

I play World of Warcraft.
    Now, you wonder, how can a game you have to pay 15 bucks a month to play save you any money?

Simple:
    It keeps me at home and busy.
    I do not use gas, stop at stores and the like.
    50 cents a day is less than a cup of Keurig coffee. WAY less than starbucks.

it keeps me busy, so I don't watch the home shopping network

seriously, evry time I leave the house, it's 30 bucks minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Anytime I want to buy something, I translate the amount into how many hours of work it is to earn the money for it. If the sushi is not worth an hour of my time, I do not buy the sushi.
    ^ this

Well, it helps that I don't own a horse at the moment. Hubby and I are pretty good at saving. We don't waste money on frivolous stuff. I would say my only money waster is eating out. We don't spend a TON on it, but 3-4 weekly trips to Chipotle et al do add up. We had been spending close to $100 on a good meal and wine about twice a month, but I'm losing interest as I'm pregnant and can't enjoy wine, not to mention nauseous ALL. THE. TIME.

I don't really have any special tricks to saving, honestly. I don't use coupons because there usually aren't any for organic food which is what we eat at home mostly. It helps that we both drive high MPG vehicles I guess. The biggest thing is we work hard and bank the majority of what we earn.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    And don't even get me started on growing your own food! Sure it tastes better and is better for you but economical it is not unless you're surviving on the volunteers that come up in the manure pile.
    Huh?
    So I paid $6 for 6 seedling tomato plants and harvested about 6 gallon-sized bags of tomatoes for the freezer that become sauce deep in the middle of Winter. Not to mention the numerous salads & tomato sandwiches I enjoyed for the picking.
    I've also grown cucumbers, collards, kale and squash from seed - averaging $1.50 for a packet of seed.
    My only other "investment" in the garden is composted manure from my own horses planted over old feed bags to keep weeds down.
    I do not fertilize or amend this soil, just try to rotate what I grew year to year.

Or if there's a bad year I buy a half-bushel from the farmstand and easily double the amount in the freezer. I paid $7 last Summer.
    Buying seedlings is a cheap way to fill your fridge and freezer.
    And when I make the sauce, etc I know what's in it.

I also have chickens for eggs.
    I have had to buy eggs maybe 6 times in the last 3 years when they moulted or cold weather temporarily stopped them laying.
    Otherwise I gave away dozens of eggs to coworkers & friends.

How is this not economical?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

1 members found this post helpful.

I bring my breakfast and lunch to work every day, except Friday when I'll usually buy my lunch at the Thai place. Most dinners at home are leftovers from the weekend; we usually get takeout on Fridays. I have no clothes that require drycleaning. My best friend is the library - books, dvds, cds. The only books I buy these days are if Stephen King has a new one out.

Almost all my clothes come from Ebay, and I hardly ever buy new shoes. That's fine because I have a size 5.5 foot and can't find my size anyway.

I'd say my biggest expenses are food and the animals. I take the train to work so only need to fill up the car once a week.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

One more suggestion: enter every contest, etc. you can find. Usually you will eventually win something. My cousin's wife has been able to be a stay-at-home mom for about 20 years, and she says her "job" is to win things. I'm not so lucky, but this year I won $250 and an iPad. A few years ago, I won a cruise upgrade to a verandah suite. About ten years ago, I won a vacation to Washington, DC.

I do look for coupons, but they have to be big enough to make a difference, and have to be for products that I'd buy anyway. We save a bigger % on groceries by managing leftovers. They should be eaten, or frozen, not forgotten in the back of the fridge.

My garden does not save me a lot of money, but it helps us eat better very inexpensively. I enjoy experimenting with growing things, so I have a small greenhouse that has gallon jugs of water on the floor. The water heats up during the daytime and prevents the plants from freezing overnight, as long as the temperature doesn't get below 20 degrees. I have a couple of pepper plants in there, and they have good sized peppers ripening now. No success with tomatoes, however. In February, I will start plants for the garden. Last year I gave away about 30 tomato plants. People at work give me plastic planters so I don't have to buy anything.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I sold an under-employed horse.

I don't go into shopping malls to avoid temptation.

Make alist and stick ot it.

Pay off debt so no interest charges.

Plan my trips to reduce car useage.

Put savings away at the begining of the month.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

We are a one income family and barely making it so I have to cut as many corners as I can.
    I do not go any where unless I have to. I usually go out one day a month for my chiro apt and councling apt. That is the day I run what ever errends my hubby can't.
    I grow a garden in the summer time, in the fall I can and freeze everything I can.
    I take all our leftover meat and freeze it for soups or stews and I do the same with veggies. If I can I buy a few extra cans of this or that or write it on the list for hubby and have managed to get the cupboards pretty stocked up. Any loose change we have we put in a can and three times a year we cash it in. We use it twice for going to a bent and dent and a bulk foods store and the third time we use it for christmas.
    In the winter hubby plows snow for xtra money and always manages to somehow put 1/2 of it away for emergency or occasional treats. I make my own laundry soap, we don't use conditioner instead we use baking soda and vinegar. I take all the little pieces of bar soap and put them in a nylon stocking and tie it. we then use them untill they are gone before opening a new bar of soap.
    I try to make as many hand made things as I can for gifts. We keep our cellphones to a bare bones plan. We keep as many lights off as we can.

Forethought! So many things are so predictable. You will need toilet paper, you will get hungry at work, you will need a new skirt - all these needs will cost far more if you wait until you actually need them right NOW. If you think ahead a bit, and plan, you will usually save money. For instance:

I coupon with sales, using websites like Coupon Mom. It does take time and effort, but it changes the way you look at prices in the supermarket. Why would you ever spend $4.99 for something if you can buy it for $1.99 in two weeks?

Pack food in to work. I never was one for big lunches at work, but a soda here and a sandwich there added up, considering I work in an expensive neighborhood. Now I get a 12pk of soda cans when they're on sale, and some things like oatmeal and soup to stash in my desk.

I dislike shopping in general, but I try to go to stores (clothing, etc.) regularly. This could get ugly if you're a compulsive spender, but I hate to part with money so it works for me. If I find a great bargain, I buy it. If no, I chalk it up to experience. I don't actually enjoy shopping, but I love getting a bargain and have come to realize that the odds are much better if you put in the time. For favorite stores, I get on their mailing list so I know when they have a sale.

Better stores have better prices. Sure, you can get a $6 shirt at Walmart. But it's really a rag and virtually worthless, so are you really ahead? Go to a nicer store when they're doing a very good sale or end-of-season clearance, and get a $20 shirt marked down from $60, and it'll last more than one whole day.

1 members found this post helpful.

I turn off my heat (or at least turn it way down when it hits -30C) when I am not at home,

I don't pay board, since I keep my heese at my parent's farm

I don't go out much either

Don't watch TV,

Also have 3/4 jobs which certainly helps...

I'm not a big spender, though sometimes when I get to Chapters/any bookstore, I tend to go overboard.

I work for others during the holidays - I worked Christmas eve eve, christmas eve, Christmas day, and boxing day. Worked today, will work tomorrow and will probably do new years day as well.

So it all helps.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

I cook almost all of our meals and take the leftovers to work the next day. We have a small garden too. I keep my hair long because I hate getting it cut and admit that sometimes I just trim the ends myself because I can not be bothered to go to the stylist.

I buy quality clothes then wear them for years, same for boots. Plus I hate, hate, hate to shop so that is easy to do as it limits the need to shop. When I do buy it is always on sale.

I paid extra and early on our house so we paid it off a year early.

My horses pay for themselves because I give lessons. Takes me out of ammy competition so I just avoid those shows that I would have to show the open, another money saver.

When I do show I haul a student or two which helps pay the gas and I feel justified in being at the show because I am being paid to be there. Of course that pay is about enough to cover my food but it works for me.