The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Those practical farm Christmas gifts. Yes or No?

DH thinks we should get one of these for Christmas. http://www.kipor.com/product/xiangxi...0837376&id=665

I can't decided if it a good idea or if I should run him down with it.

Any experiences with one of these or a similar product?

Huh... never seen one before. However, if DH wants to purchase something that makes life easier I generally never say no! But I'm the kind of person who asks for things like a chain harrow for my birthday This year I'm getting a generator. Is there any chance you can rent one until you know if it's going to work out?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

A Gator and a trailer would be more practical. I've seen those used by trail maintenance crews here in the PNW--great for hauling rock/tools up a mile of wet, muddy, hilly trail in the Columbia River Gorge....not sure it would be justified on a small farm.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd rather get a gator or Kubota RTV.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

This one looks like it might be more useful, but if I were going to spend money on something like that, I'd go for a Gator/Mule with a dump bed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Get a gator (or like piece of equipment/vehicle). Why walk behind a dump body when you can ride on a seat?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I love practical gifts!

I have to agree with the others, get a gator or such. You will find it is much more useful. (Wish I had one.)

The smaller Gator has a 300 pound load capacity, plus driver and passenger. It can do a 2W drive thing if you throw the lever, which is helpful at times. Has the dump bed, though it isn't huge. Not sure of the specs on the 4WD models with 6 wheels. Here in snow country, the problem is the very short axle clearance. I have gotten stuck in deep snow, when vehicle just "rides up" and wheels can't get a firm grip to push against. Had to push or pull Gator off the deeper snow piled up, before it would go again. I take the tractor if snow is DEEP, over a foot.

Not sure what this "Kipor powered wheelbarrow" can haul. Doesn't say in the description. Tracks are nice, do spread the load and MUCH harder to get stuck, but the PERSON driving has to be able to stay on their feet, unstick boots, to keep up in MUD. You also have a lot of moving parts to repair if things go bad. It is strickly a hauling tool, unlike the Gators and Mule which can also pull things. Walking 4MPH is a FAST walk even on GOOD surfaces, some folks would have a hard time keeping up.

The Mule is highly rated as a real TOOL, not a toy like some models are. More powerful than a Gator, has 4WD. Not sure of load capacity.

Guess you need to compare load capacity, prices, to see what they will cost. I would NOT want to be walking so much in using that Kipor tool. It probably wouldn't get used here, since I can carry stuff using the manure spreader like a wagon, or the bucket of the tractor. The Gator we have is useful, handy, but I could live without it if I needed to. We won it in a Raffle, since I never would have bought one! Cost way too much. Husband calls it the "Wheelbarrow with a seat".

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't think I'd have much use for one of those things, but if SO wanted to buy me a tractor I wouldn't complain. Especially if it came with a front end loader bucket, a field mower, and a manure spreader
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I'm not going to show THAT to my DH. Right now he is in love with the idea of a Newer Spreader, but I'd like a zero turn mower as we don't really have pastures that work for manure spreading and we have plenty of mowing no matter what.

I'm getting to where I want one or two easily maintained tools - we just don't have the time to be putzing around with yet another small engine. I could see having a use for it but I just question the wisdom of that additional item needing space to store, etc etc.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Wow that is even better than a dump truck of screenings!

Jennifer

My Nieghbor rented one last year as he only had to use it the one time to move several yards of mulch, but I would be more inclined to get a heavy duty wagon that you can pull behind your quad or tractor. At least with a wagon you can use it for hauling other things like bales, weeds, fencing stuff and kids!

ReSomething- if I can find the photo, my hubby made me a newer spreader a few years ago. I don't use it as much now, but I think I might start again, as my manure pile is getting big.

It wasn't hard to make and surely cheaper than buying one

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...5/P1070293.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...5/P1070294.jpg