The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    I don't think it's contempt, PE. Let's face it, western pleasure riders DO NOT HAVE the riding skill that dressage riders have...not the awareness of their body movements and/or their horse's response. I think it's fair to say that.

Western riders who participate in speed and action don't have it either. It's point and shoot.

I don't have any contempt for other types of western riding...but it will never be classical dressage. never.

Editing to add: my horse does a lovely collected canter otherwise known as a lope. But not because he's been patiently brought up the levels for more and more collection. He's BUILT to be collected. He couldn't be uncollected if he tried his mightiest. It's just not the same.

Wow, so you are being contemptuous. It's okay, you're not the first. Prejudice is a real shame, but by no means rare. You at least are honest about your bigotry. BTW WP isn't WD. We're talking about WD.

Wow
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Oh we've had this conversation already. The horse has bolted, the barn door is hanging open:

1.It is called Western DRESSAGE

Paula

Too bad it's not dressage at all

9 members found this post helpful.

But the schooling shows will pick a set of rules, collect your money, and judge it the best they can.

Moving on...

1 members found this post helpful.

RE: Too bad it's not dressage at all

Le Sigh. Fortunately for WD afficionados they consulted Anita Owen, FEI Olympic dressage judge and not the expertise of...well....the experts on the topic of dressage here on COTH.

Well let's not get hasty, here are Anita's credentials -
    "Anita was born in Stockholm, Sweden. She has been involved in dressage and combined training as a rider, coach and judge throughout her life. Anita has judged AHSA National and Regional Dressage Finals as well as Pan American Selection Trials. She has also judged AHSA Championships in Combined Training and ADS Regional Championships, including Team Selection Trials in Combined Driving. She is co-author of "Manual For Driven Dressage". Anita is active in educational programs for prospective AHSA Dressage judges for whom she is an appointed examiner.

Anita’s licenses include: FEI "C" Dressage Judge, AHSA "S" Dressage Judge, AHSA "R" Combined Training Judge, CEF "S" Dressage Judge, and ADS "R" Dressage Driving Judge"

Your turn! Whip it out, yon experts on what is dressage. I've got a yardstick here somewhere
    Paula

Why don't we have a banging-head-against-wall emoticon?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

The USDF position is my position, P, I'm not going to argue with you over a nonstarter.

It's not you v. COTH. It's you, who doesn't show recognized or schooling now, and has never shown in either a recognized or schooling show, doing real Dressage or any variant thereof, who is spitting in the wind vs USDF.

Whatever blows your dress up, or twirls your yardstick, lady. I think you just like to hear yourself type

22 members found this post helpful.

You do have a strong way of expressing yourself, Katarine.

Paula

And you have a strong way of not accepting facts as facts, Paula.

14 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, Katarine. You are very kind.

Paula

Lol all righty then

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    But the schooling shows will pick a set of rules, collect your money, and judge it the best they can.

Moving on...
    Can't believe I'm agreeing with Katarine.

I'm gonna start pushing for the "Bareback Dressage" that has been talked about in the past. Why not. If they books are opening now is the time.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    I took it to mean - do what you want but not under our umbrella and not at our recognized shows. As it should be IMO. It's not traditional dressage, it doesn't belong at recognized dressage shows.
    I think western dressage is a great concept and, if done properly it will be a wonderful option for folks who prefer to ride western but aren't interested in the more traditional WP or gaming activities. I hope it catches on and becomes wildly popular. I'd be willing to compete in it.

However, I agree with RedmondDressage. WD is not traditional dressage, it doesn't belong in USDF-recognized shows, and USDF shouldn't have anything to do with it.

10 members found this post helpful.

It's not traditional dressage, it's western dressage. However, that is not the distinction Redmond made, s/he said it's not dressage. It take that to mean something very different to what you said in your post, Nosuchperson.

Paula

It's not traditional dressage, it's western dressage. However, that is not the distinction Redmond made, s/he said it's not dressage. It take that to mean something very different to what you said in your post, Nosuchperson.

And then someone else makes a remark about calling a goat a horse doesn't make it a horse, and I start to feel an undertone.

Paula

Paula, an honest opinion is not bigotry. I have been in both worlds for a long, long time and know what it takes to succeed in either. Being realistic about skills level, requirements of the sport, etc is not bigotry.

Western dressage is not being ridden on western *dressage* horses. Not all horses can progress in traditional dressage. So there isn't a category of WD horses as there is for reining horses, cutting horses, speed and action horses; individuals who are incredibly talented at ONE discipline. Western dressage is being shown by, for the most part, western pleasure horses. Horses who basically COME that way.

To me that is what separates western dressage from *real* dressage. The inability of the HORSE to progress up the levels. That isn't bigotry...it's honesty. Getting real about what a horse can and cannot do. And more importantly: getting honest about what to EXPECT a horse to be able to do. I would no more take my collected western pleasure horse to a traditional dressage show and try to show him 2 or 3 level that I would put him in a reining class or attempt to cut cows with him.

But, he was trained by an equitation rider, can lope from a standstill, bend, flex and is very quiet. Ideal for the pattern class. And for the western dressage class.

Paula
    You will see, if you look at my post, that I was referring to the specific piece of RedmondDressage's post that I quoted. In that piece, it says, and I quote again, "It's not traditional dressage..." I was not referring to anything RedmondDressage may have said in any other post or in other parts of that posts. Otherwise, I would have quoted those.

Whether or not WD is dressage, pffft, WD people can call it anything they want. If they want to call it "western dressage," then it's western dressage. If traditional dressage people want to say it's not dressage, then who cares? They can say/think whatever they want.

RE: If traditional dressage people want to say it's not dressage, then who cares? They can say/think whatever they want.

You have a point. I'll try to see it that way.

Paula

Once when I was a kid I set up two cavaletti six inches apart and told my instructor it was an "oxer." She rolled her eyes and kindly proceeded to teach my lesson as I hopped over my "oxer" again and again. To this day I love to drop a few poles on the ground and bounce over them. I just wish they would add classes like this to jumper shows. It IS jumping after all - my horse has to jump with all four feet over an obstacle. *sigh* Maybe one day...

11 members found this post helpful.

Oh we've had this conversation already. The horse has bolted, the barn door is hanging open:

1.It is called Western DRESSAGE
    Paula
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    You can call a goat a horse, but that that doesn't make it a horse.
    Not sure how comparing a goat to a horse accurately represents the difference between Western Dressage and Traditional Dressage unless you do actually mean to show that level of contempt for Western riders and their skills?
    Paula
    You have clearly missed the point. First, there was absolutely no comparison of a goat to a horse. But mainly, just because you call it dressage doesn't make it dressage.
    Last edited by SillyHorse; Dec. 20, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

8 members found this post helpful.

It's like Voldemort. Western that-which-shall-not-be-named, is called Western that-which-shall-not-be-named by it's followers, enthusiasts, aficionados and Western that-which-shall-not-be-named organizations. So let's compromise; we'll continue to call it Western Dressage and you'll....I dunno, hum loudly whenever we say it. You can always roll your eyes, make references to goats and horses, whatever you want. I'll be going to the Harrisburg horse expo to attend the presentations on Western Dressage, and I'll be printing out the tests so my current trainer and I can start playing with Western Dressage. At some point we hope to have a Western Dressage clinic or two.

ETA: I'm looking forward to adding Western Dressage to my interests, trying out some Western Dressage competition, and continuing to communicate with other Western Dressage enthusiasts.

BTW I heard of another splinter group -driving dressage? Interesting. Does that give you a seizure too?

Paula