The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I would love to see the Beer & BBQ dressage test offered at someone's schooling show - but only if you video it and report back.
    This is COTH, right? That means somebody has to object to Redneck Dressage.

I'll be that somebody.

How about we ditch the BBQ and do "Wisconsin Dressage." That means a beer and a brat (preferably Usingers) with sauerkraut and onion. This would be a major step forward as brats don't drip sauce. Getting BBQ sauce out of breeches would be a big problem.

To finish before you salute the judge at the end of the test you have to down the beer and yell "ein, zwie, drie, ZUFFA" and invert the mug on top of your head. Then you depart to the music of the "Chicken Dance."

Folks, if you want to make Dressage more accessable THIS is the program.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, Guilherme, that's fine for you old-school German style riders. But there MUST be a French school as well, and that will have to involve copious amounts of cheap red wine. Artistic flourishes of a baguette-cum-dressage whip will be marked with a coefficient. The judge's stand at C will resemble the Bastille and for extra points riders may attempt to storm it in lieu of a final halt and salute (handy for horses who don't have a halt, or riders whose hands are too full of food and drink to salute). Rides that include a liberal smattering of French or French-Canadian curses throughout will be considered the pinnacle of achievement.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

4 members found this post helpful.

Can we say "here, hold my beer and watch this" instead of throwing the can at the judge?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    How about we ditch the BBQ and do "Wisconsin Dressage." That means a beer and a brat (preferably Usingers) with sauerkraut and onion. This would be a major step forward as brats don't drip sauce. Getting BBQ sauce out of breeches would be a big problem.
    Brats might not drip, but those onions n' kraut would be distractingly unstable, so I would suggest a corndog - with a vegan version option available for those so inclined. A mustard dip at your own peril. Hard to beat battered deep-fried meat product on a stick
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Brats might not drip, but those onions n' kraut would be distractingly unstable, so I would suggest a corndog - with a vegan version option available for those so inclined. A mustard dip at your own peril. Hard to beat battered deep-fried meat product on a stick
    Love me some corn dogs. Mmmm! Maybe we can get an A&W sponsorship for the class?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Would this not be "State Fair Dressage"? You can put anything on a stick as long as you fry it enough. But with a wide choice of "fried things on a stick" you might have a problem with the appropriate drink. I'm not sure beer is the appropriate choice for Fried Twinkies. Or maybe it is.

G.

State Fair Dressage -- an everyman average Joe moniker that evokes all that is good- livestock judging, pie contests, Wilbur and Fern and Lurvy -I think its perfect. And cotton candy is a viable rib/brat/corndog option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    Yes, Guilherme, that's fine for you old-school German style riders. But there MUST be a French school as well, and that will have to involve copious amounts of cheap red wine. Artistic flourishes of a baguette-cum-dressage whip will be marked with a coefficient. The judge's stand at C will resemble the Bastille and for extra points riders may attempt to storm it in lieu of a final halt and salute (handy for horses who don't have a halt, or riders whose hands are too full of food and drink to salute). Rides that include a liberal smattering of French or French-Canadian curses throughout will be considered the pinnacle of achievement.
    This is America; we don't need no stinking "French School."

If you must, then make it Cajun Dressage. You can still use liberal French obscenities. Crawfish or 'gator would be the appropriate foods (peeling the crawfish and sucking the heads will require some practice if you want to make an elegant presentation; red wine would be a permitted substitute for beer; extra points if you harvested the 'gator yourself). The proper salute language would be "Laissez les bon temps roulez"!!!

The judge must stand in front of a life-sized portrait of Justin Wilson.

This should satisfy the Francophiles in the group!!!

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Love me some corn dogs. Mmmm! Maybe we can get an A&W sponsorship for the class?
    Yes! A & W root beer! The nonalcoholic alternative to Bud

Yes! A & W root beer! The nonalcoholic alternative to Bud
    Yes! I seriously think someone needs to offer this class. I will happily sponsor.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    This is America; we don't need no stinking "French School."

If you must, then make it Cajun Dressage. You can still use liberal French obscenities. Crawfish or 'gator would be the appropriate foods (peeling the crawfish and sucking the heads will require some practice if you want to make an elegant presentation; red wine would be a permitted substitute for beer; extra points if you harvested the 'gator yourself). The proper salute language would be "Laissez les bon temps roulez"!!!

The judge must stand in front of a life-sized portrait of Justin Wilson.

This should satisfy the Francophiles in the group!!!

G.
    Oh yeah,"Cajun/Justin Wilson Dressage entrance would be

Enter: Halt at X, salute, and shout "HOW YÁLL ARE?"

End: Halt at X, salute and mandatory "HOOOOO!"

Your suggestions are enthusiastically accepted!!!

G.

I've never been interested in showing dressage, but all this talk of booze, hollering out and eating snacks has me interested... I think that, as an Irish woman, my Rish-Dar went off..... 'horses...booze...yelling for no damn reason....eating...' DING DING DING!!!!!

I can just about picture it, but then I start laughing too hard.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

And the Fais Do Do (freestyle) would be Zydeco, wun' it, cher? Fun for all, I GA-RON-TEE!

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    .... Let's face it, western pleasure riders DO NOT HAVE the riding skill that dressage riders have...
    what does WP have to do with this thread?????? I am interested in WD and I ride reiners and cutters. Almost eveyone I know who are interested in WD are reining folks.

And I'm sorry but you're comments about collection went right over my head. What do you mean exactly? Will you please say what you mean?

As I have said before I became interested in WD because I want to learn and be a better rider and be able to help my horses. That's all. I have no interest in formalities, politics, 'real' dressage competition, etc.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rtph View Post
    what does WP have to do with this thread?????? I am interested in WD and I ride reiners and cutters. Almost eveyone I know who are interested in WD are reining folks.

And I'm sorry but you're comments about collection went right over my head. What do you mean exactly? Will you please say what you mean?

As I have said before I became interested in WD because I want to learn and be a better rider and be able to help my horses. That's all. I have no interest in formalities, politics, 'real' dressage competition, etc.
    With goals of being a better rider and helping your horses through dressage training, do you also feel you need to compete in western dressage classes? There are tons of classical dressage riders who have the same goals, and they do not compete.

I don't really know anything about the WD yet. I've just been hearing about it, and I'm interested for the reasons I said. I have no plans to compete in WD. A WD clinic is what I am most interested in at this point. I just think that dressage principles might be very beneficial to me and to my horses. So I just want to learn.

I will keep doing cow horse, reining, sometimes trail, and ranch or stock horse pleasure. But I love to watch dressage and I'm always working to get a horse to extend a little more, or to collect a little more, or to get over her hocks. All of these things, I think, are done in dressage. Who knows whether it would benefit me? I just think it might.

I don know ANYTHING about dressage. One time I considered starting dressage, but everyone told me it would take at least three years of dressage before I ever got to start doing lead changes. LOL. So I'll see what I can learn from WD.

Like I said, I know nothing about dressage. But, I have the feeling that there is some common ground here between all of us. We all are striving to be better riders and have better horses.
    Last edited by rtph; Dec. 24, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

There absolutely is common ground. Many moons ago I worked for one of the premier reining trainers in the country. My job was to put some basic dressage training on the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by rtph View Post
    I don't really know anything about the WD yet. I've just been hearing about it, and I'm interested for the reasons I said. I have no plans to compete in WD. A WD clinic is what I am most interested in at this point. I just think that dressage principles might be very beneficial to me and to my horses. So I just want to learn.

I will keep doing cow horse, reining, sometimes trail, and ranch or stock horse pleasure. But I love to watch dressage and I'm always working to get a horse to extend a little more, or to collect a little more, or to get over her hocks. All of these things, I think, are done in dressage. Who knows whether it would benefit me? I just think it might.

I don know ANYTHING about dressage. One time I considered starting dressage, but everyone told me it would take at least three years of dressage before I ever got to start doing lead changes. LOL. So I'll see what I can learn from WD.

Like I said, I know nothing about dressage. But, I have the feeling that there is some common ground here between all of us. We all are striving to be better riders and have better horses.
    why dont you just take some lessons from a good dressage trainer?