The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Facebook and Instagram can sell your photos for profit and without your permission

If you have a Facebook page, maybe you aleady know this, but it was new to me.

If you have pictures on Facebook/Instagram, they can sell your photos without your permission and you get nothing.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...l-your-photos/

This should come as no surprise to anyone who has read the Ts and Cs of FB or IG. One reason I don't have a FB account...

2 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Your permission is granted in the terms and conditions when you sign up for the site.

Most common lie: "Yes, I have read and accepted the terms and conditions."
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

^^^ One online merchant (don't recall which) put something in their T&C to make exactly that point. They inserted a line that read: "In accepting these terms, you grant us ownership of your immortal soul".

Articles were later written about this to show how people just don't read that stuff.

I could never see any point to Instagram and still can't. Why bother?

Based on what's stated in the article am inclined to agree with the unidentified commenter cited in the article who called the revised policy "Instagram's suicide note."
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

1 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    ^^^ One online merchant (don't recall which) put something in their T&C to make exactly that point. They inserted a line that read: "In accepting these terms, you grant us ownership of your immortal soul".

Articles were later written about this to show how people just don't read that stuff.
    I remember that! GameStation on April Fools'. I figure I'd be safe. Everyone knows I'm a cold-hearted soulless you know what. Now where's my broomstick?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

This is why I didn't follow the sheep to facebook and other assorted social media sites.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, hmmmmm...I do love Instagram and find this very disappointing. Of course I didn't read the terms!

There is one ad out there for HP that I swear uses a photo I took...of course it probably isn't because it would be a common thing for people to take pictures of, but it looks just like my photo!!!!
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

My Instagram photos are all dismal at best, and my facebook pictures are almost all of myself and various horses, so not too worried. Although hey, I'd be almost honored if someone liked my IG pictures enough to buy them... Unless it was for something showing awful pictures. Then I'd be sad.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post

of course people don't read it!
    It's probably the equivalent of War and Peace in legalese, the mere mortal won't comprehend a thing after the initial paragraph...I think it's by design, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I once was presented with a contract (to work independently for a tutoring company) and in it was some verbiage about doing my first three sessions for free (while they got paid by the client). When I pointed this out to the owner and voiced my concern, his response was "Gee, no one ever reads a contract. Well, we can cross that out for you and you can get paid for all sessions, but please don't mention it to other tutors."

The guy was shady as a cloudy day so I'm not shocked. But he's right. Most people don't read contracts. He had been getting essentially "free money" off over most tutors! At 35 bucks a session, I'm guessing he made a pretty penny that way!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Was that the guy you told me about who lived in Vegas or someplace out West?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Vegas. yep. Douche.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    My Instagram photos are all dismal at best, and my facebook pictures are almost all of myself and various horses, so not too worried. Although hey, I'd be almost honored if someone liked my IG pictures enough to buy them... Unless it was for something showing awful pictures. Then I'd be sad.
    Totally agree with this.
    If a picture of my dog on his bed or my horse bucking is worth something, by all means, have at it.

wired has this to say on saving your pics then deleting your account:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...-your-account/

I didn't realize Facebook could sell them, too. Oh well. I don't think anyone would want to buy any of mine!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio