The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stranger Danger...your stories?

A comment on another thread prompted this.

I grew up with a healthy sense of stranger danger. We had "Officer Friendly" (police) who came to talk to us about strangers and such.

But in spite of that, I've had some really good times with strangers. When you move a lot or travel a lot, you have to believe in strangers sometimes!

My most PG rated stranger situation is this:

It was Valentines Day in 2004. I was in Mauritius, separated from my then fiance in the US, living in a hotel, starting a company. It was raining that day, I'd done some shopping for family, was sitting at the bar waiting for my room to get cleaned, looking like a drowned rat...and then a man (host, now my friend's husband) came over and said "These gentlemen request you to join them."

Well, long and short, in less than 30 minutes, I was up grabbing an evening gown, a weekend's worth of clothes and a swim suit. The hotel manager, a 5 star, so he's cool, right? Well it was at his house. And the guys were all working for World Bank.

The were "plumbers". Ha! (they really weren't)

Anyway. I had such a lovely weekend up north with them. I had a 5 star dinner out by the sea under a banyan tree. My first time eating sushi..prepared by a world known chef. All this money and class and then ME! Good thing I had a stunning red dress to wear. We are all still friends 10 years later. And I didn't wreck his car driving us all back to the hotel 2 days later. Whew! I mean, the rearview and side mirrors fell off, but that's just a range rover for you, right????

I am so glad I took the risk on strangers.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

All I can say is that you're extremely lucky. And extremely foolish.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

16 members found this post helpful.

We were in Joann fabric Wednesday night and the girl at the counter thought I looked familiar like someone famous. She popped out with "Stranger Danger! You look like the guy from Kindergarden Cop!" Creeped me out thinking about Kindergardeners needing a cop Friday... Wasn't going to say anything about it but there's "Stranger Danger" twice in one week...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, but oh, the adventures!

There is a time for being cautious and a time for taking chances in the world I think.

6 members found this post helpful.

A bunch of men and one woman? That must have been an interesting dynamic.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh no, there were other women. very lovely women.

Stranger danger? I was assaulted by my late ex BIL.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I was assaulted by my then boss (reason I was staying in a hotel) at gun point and raped on multiple occasions. And had been assaulted by a kid selling books door to door when I was 7.

I was trying to illustrate the positive, not the negative. Shit happens. But sometimes you have to take risks to have good experiences. I did have those. I was hoping to illustrate the good ones, not the bad ones.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I was assaulted by my then boss (reason I was staying in a hotel) at gun point and raped on multiple occasions. And had been assaulted by a kid selling books door to door when I was 7.
    Goodness, BR, that sounds awful!

And I see the point of your thread but unfortunately your experience is the exception.

Since I don't have a car I travel by bus and am comfortable talking to other persons waiting for the bus during daylight hours. At night I stay alert but calm.

Working in San Francisco's Tenderloin (in two separate homeless shelters) was definitely a good learning experience for me.

One of my nicest boyfriends I had ever had (not Mr. Magic but very sweet) I had spoken maybe two words to in class, met at a party, drank too much and he offered for me to crash at his place instead of in my car. Nothing happened that night but boy was it awkward to come out the next morning. He was on the couch eating cereal and asked if I liked cartoons, lol. We were together for another year and a half and are still friends.

Also had a date tone wrong. I had just moved to the area and was chatting with a local guy over the Internet. He invited me to come to his place and hang out and I said yes (dumb)... he met me at the bottom of the driveway with a 4 wheeler and I followed him up... past all these ramshackle trailers that looked as if they may fall down the side of this mountain I was driving up at any time. I made a joke when we stopped about it being a family compound... it was. All his relatives lived in those (seriously they looked like they should be condemned). He then started talking about all the animal.heads in his room and described it was, I kid you not, a room of death. I was out of there so fast... Oh my God. It was a horror movie waiting to happen.

The things you do when you are young and extremely dumb lol.

"Stranger, Danger", while intended to be a way to make children educated, barely scratches the surface of the sickos out there! Many more of the wacked out things are performed by acquaintances, "friends", and even family. I think the best thing is to make people aware of ALL the people they are around. Being careful, keeping your head, and trusting your instincts go much further than 'stranger danger" in my opinion.

Well, if I didn't talk to "strangers" I'd barely ever speak to anyone. I doubt I'd go away for a weekend with them, especially in a foreign country, but I'll chat with just about anyone. I was constantly surprised on my cruise how many people were surprised I'd go alone and wasn't I worried about being lonely? I pointed out I was on a ship with 2200 other people, eating at least one meal a day with others, and I could only be lonely if I made an effort! And it was great. I met the most interesting people.

I met my husband online. In fact, I met him face to face on 9/10/09 and we were married on 10/02/09. He's my heart and we've got the strongest marriage ever. Before him, I made a habit of meeting random guys online and I'm happy that I'm still alive, yes I'm aware that I was stupid but I'm still here (:

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Well, if I didn't talk to "strangers" I'd barely ever speak to anyone. I doubt I'd go away for a weekend with them, especially in a foreign country, but I'll chat with just about anyone. I was constantly surprised on my cruise how many people were surprised I'd go alone and wasn't I worried about being lonely? I pointed out I was on a ship with 2200 other people, eating at least one meal a day with others, and I could only be lonely if I made an effort! And it was great. I met the most interesting people.
    That's awesome! I admire you for doing that.

I don't do strangers (in any way shape or form. ) Even when I go out by myself, I end up staying by myself. I think I come off as mean and hostile. Which is OK with me. Creepers are the only ones who ever talk to me.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

My stranger danger story is a little different. Happened sometime around 1989/90 while I was driving home from work. I turned the corner onto the road I live on and a guy was standing on the shoulder next to a small white van or utility type truck (don't remember now).

He flagged me down so I pulled over onto the shoulder. He started asking me directions to somewhere. I felt my "spidey senses" tingling so I only had the window down far enough to talk and I had one foot on the brake, one on the clutch, and my hand on the shifter.

I looked over at my passenger side mirror in time to see a man pressed up against the side of my little truck heading for the passenger side door. I dropped that little truck into gear and got back on the road fast enough that the guy talking to me had to jump out of the way.

I'm still ashamed of what I did next. I got home and rather than call the police I told my then husband who blew off the incident as a product of my over active imagination. I think he did get off his a$$ about 15 minutes later and drove down the road to check. Of course they weren't there so he accused me of making it up. I never heard of any abductions or similar incidences that happened in the area but I still hope that no one else got hurt because of my reluctance to go against my better judgement. I should have called the police but didn't at my husband's insistence.

One of the many reasons my husband was my ex a year or so later.

I still wonder if I didn't dodge a serious bullet that day.

mswillie, Your (now ex) husband actually thought you'd make up a story like that? What an asshat!!

My stranger story is also from about 20 years ago. I was at our local grocery store, and my habit is to park fairly far away-to have to walk farther, and to prevent "dings" in my vehicles. Anyway, as I got out of my car, I was really feeling watched, so glanced about, there was a man in a seedy looking mud spattered van nearby looking at me, but I thought nothing of it as I went about my shopping.

I was about 2/3 through the aisles, when-surprise!, the same man from the parking lot happened to crash his cart into mine. He apologized profusely, I said "Hey, no problem, have a nice day!"

So, I finished shopping, and went to the car. This was long ago enough that my Jeep didn't have auto locks, I was unlocking the back when I sensed someone too close behind me...Yup, same "friendly" guy. NOW he wants to help me out, "Please let me get those for you honey"....he was WAY to close-and WAY too creepy.

I said, NO thank you, I DON'T need help". He was like "What? You don't want help, do you have some kind of problem?" I said, "YES, YOU are my problem. GO AWAY NOW"....This said at the top of my lungs, luckily there were a few people nearby, and he noticed them noticing us.

Mr. "Friendly" snarled at me, "Fine, You f*ucking b*tch, who needs dyk*s like you around anyway", as he took off. I made note of the van, and TRIED to take note of his plate number-no such luck...BOTH were covered in mud...Hmmmm.

I called the cops anyway, nothing came of it as far as I know.

"Spidey sense" alive and well-waaaay at the beginning of the story. We girls are smart to listen to it!!

4 members found this post helpful.

I do have a good one (although I'd never do it now): I was at a Dead show in Pittsburgh and needed a ride back to Philadelphia and found a car with a UPenn Sticker on it and asked the guy if he was going back there. He said sure and I got in. His friend got in the front seat and (about 10 miles down the road - it took him a while) the friend says "Buddy (yeah, driver's name was "Buddy"), there's a 'head' in the car!!", he says, yeah, her name's Hilary and we're giving her a ride.

My only "what the hell have I done" moment came when he told me he was the president of the frat that had been busted/shut down earlier that year for an incident with strippers and cucumbers. But he was a perfectly nice guy for the trip. that's the closest I've ever come to hitch hiking.

That same weekend a cult in a bus painted like a coke bottle tried to entice me to join them - THAT I rejected. It was quite a weekend....

I was raised on the original Little Red Riding Hood story, not the Disney one...so I tend not to speak to strangers unless they are in obvious need of help, and I have very reliable " danger / BS antennae".
    I only hitch hiked once, when I was a teen, going from the riding club to my grandpa's village. And only got in the car because there was a baby seat in the back and because the guy, well, looked like I could easily subdue him if needed...he was very nice and took me safely to my destination.
    I can't think of any time I was in a iffy situation due to strangers.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

As a kid growing up in a dictatorship, the ones to run from were the police.
    You literally crossed the street or ducked into some open door and hid if you saw one walking your way.
    You also did your disappearing act if you saw any priests, that were police informants and carried guns under their black long robes.

You never congregated with more than five friends, if one more came to your group, someone left.

We were too busy trying to stay a step ahead of the dictator's thumb to worry too much about any other.