The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clinic Rates

I am visiting over here from Eventing Land and wanted to ask you all about clinic prices...

We are bringing a well known h/j trainer in for a 2 day clinic, and will draw people from the eventing world and the h/j world. What is a typical price (range) for a BNT in h/j.

We have had some pretty impressive eventing clinicians here and prices have been between $225 to $300 for a 2 day gig. Just wondering if it's the same ...I want to draw both groups to cover the expenses....thanks...

I did a 2-day clinic with a recent Olympian and paid $800...

I have hosted two BNT (Olympian & A Top Hunter Trainer) and their fees were $2500 per day and $2000 per day. They were able to teach groups of 8 riders (3 or 4 groups per day). You just have to make sure that your farm will make money or break even at the end. This includes BNT fees, hotel, travel, insurance coverage (a must!!), and all the other little details. Good luck and have fun!! Clinics can be really great
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

The Incomparable Lord Gawd Amighty GM clinic in October in Canada kicked the crap outta a grand for a two day clinic, two hour lessons with about 6 each day. That was including taxes of course and stabling for 2 nights as well.

I just signed up for a clinic with a former Olympian. $550 for two days, $650 for three. Two hour sessions, with groups of 3-4. Not including stabling.
    Last edited by costco_muffins; Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM.

I've done a clinic with a Rolex WEG eventer, BNT hunter trainer, and a former show jumping olympian and they were basically like this:
    $300 for 2 days with the eventer, no boarding costs, they had multiple horses on site for us and we got 4 hours each day on two different horses. spent the first two hours on xc, one on dressage, and one on sj, then the next day we did two hours sj, and two dressage and switched the horses so that the horse we did sj and dressage on the day before, we did sj on, and the horse we did xc on, we did dressage.
    (note there were only 5 of us, and I was the only person that had never done any dressage before as I had done some xc at camps when I was younger).
    BNT Hunter/eq trainer-
    400 dollar a day for 3 days (2 hours, plus a conference/questionnaire, one auditing ticket (they were 60 dollars each) and lunch), plus a small boarding care fee if we brought our own horse. I did the 2'3"-2'9" group (geared towards ponies and pre-children's riders), and learned a lot. We worked one day with no stirrups for a whole half hour, which was IMO way to much for him to ask of a 2'3"-2'9" group that was mostly ponies and pre-childrens. We also worked a lot on stride adjustment, like lines would be set so that ponies had to lengthen for a 5 and horses had to collect, then we'd lengthen for a 4 and ponies would collect for a 6.
    Then with the show jumper:
    2000 for 2 days, includes lunch, meet/greet/conference and two auditors, not including stabling, groups of 4ish. Did the 3' group because the 2'9" and under was reserved for pony spots and it filled. Did a circle of death one day, lots of bending lines and equitationy type exercises since a lot of the kids were either on more huntery mounts or eq mounts and we were all juniors in the 3'. Did a lot of balancing exercises and landing the lead/counter canter things.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I've paid $225 per day at three separate clinics with former Olympians. Lunch was included at one. Stabling was an addl carg at all.

I think the easiest way to figure out cost is to determine the cost to host the clinic the figure how many people you think will sin up and divide. You obviously have some guess work and risk but you will also have a good idea if hosting is feasible at all. If th people in your area will not pay the cost for that particular trainer, you would want to think twice.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Thank you all....WOW, some are really expensive. This person is $2000 per day plus expenses. She wants max 24 riders a day 3 groups of 8 for 2 hours or 4 groups of 6 for 1.5 hours.

I'm thinking I can get it done for around $230 for two days, plus $10 auditing fee. If I can I'll include lunch each day. Keeping fingers crossed....

As a 4 time Grand Prix Rider of the Year, I give many clinics throughout the year.
    I expect the hosting stable to make a profit for the use of their facility. Many clinicians charge more than I do. A typical clinic day for me, is 4 or 5 groups with 3-4 people per group. That way I can spend enough time with each rider. Most stables charge about $300 per rider for 1 of my 2 day clinics.

6 members found this post helpful.

Rob, do you have any planned clinics in the NY area? I'm broken so will be out of the tack for a while, but would love to audit...

Thanks Rob for your info.. You are a fabulous clinician and worth every penny. Not everyone that is a good rider is a good teacher. I have been lookig at offering a couple clinics for another discipline and the fees have been crazy..
    I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you

Quote Originally Posted by galloping-gourmet View Post
    Thank you all....WOW, some are really expensive. This person is $2000 per day plus expenses. She wants max 24 riders a day 3 groups of 8 for 2 hours or 4 groups of 6 for 1.5 hours.

I'm thinking I can get it done for around $230 for two days, plus $10 auditing fee. If I can I'll include lunch each day. Keeping fingers crossed....
    I would be disappointed to be in a group of 8. It's awfully big. I just did a clinic with 6 the first day and 5 the next and it felt large...mostly because the arena was tiny. The clinic I do most often is 3 per group. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want to know I'm getting some individual attention.

I can really tell the difference when the group is smaller. That BNT remembers me AND my horse each year (I've done 3). the one I recently did was excellent, however, I was just another number.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertGage View Post
    As a 4 time Grand Prix Rider of the Year, I give many clinics throughout the year.
    I expect the hosting stable to make a profit for the use of their facility. Many clinicians charge more than I do. A typical clinic day for me, is 4 or 5 groups with 3-4 people per group. That way I can spend enough time with each rider. Most stables charge about $300 per rider for 1 of my 2 day clinics.
    Rob Gage is a excellent clinician and quite the bargain for his level of expertise. I would definately try and book him for a clinic.

For comparison purposes, Bernie Traurig just did a clinic at Old Salem Farm, cost was $450 for two days, although I don't know what the size of the groups were.

He is also doing a clinic on Long Island next month and the cost is $200-$250 (depending on whether or not the rider is a member of the local PHA association) for one two-hour session. That also includes a lunch seminar, a 30 minute discussion after each group ride, and a dinner/video presentation/Q & A at the end of the day. Bernie also does a demonstration ride and discussion on the first day, seems like a bargain price for all that, although again, I don't know the size of the groups.

I think $300 for someone of Rob Gage's caliber is very reasonable. In general though, you are going to pay a lot more to a H/J clinician that you will for an eventer clinician, the H/J world is just more expensive and their prices reflect that.

BAC, would you mind sharing where Bernie is holding his clinic on the island? Feel free to PM if you would prefer. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by countrcanter View Post
    BAC, would you mind sharing where Bernie is holding his clinic on the island? Feel free to PM if you would prefer. Thanks!!
    North Shore Equestrian Center at CW Post College. It is January 7-8 (Monday/Tuesday), and all the details are at lipha.org.

I just found out groups are limited to 6 riders max.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I would be disappointed to be in a group of 8. It's awfully big. I just did a clinic with 6 the first day and 5 the next and it felt large...mostly because the arena was tiny. The clinic I do most often is 3 per group. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want to know I'm getting some individual attention.
    I did a clinic in a group of 8 and while the clinician was excellent, it was basically mass-flatwork where I think I got two suggestions, plus two little snippets of jumping instruction each day. Not worth the $500.

From now on I will ask how many per section.

Dressage clinics are at least not group lessons.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post

I can really tell the difference when the group is smaller. That BNT remembers me AND my horse each year (I've done 3). the one I recently did was excellent, however, I was just another number.
    This is an excellent point.

As much as I love clinics, I will not ride in a session with more than four riders. By necessity, groups much larger than that tend to be taught to the lowest common denominator and if I am going to pay hundreds of dollars for a lesson, I want more than 15 minutes of individual attention.

Think about the math: in a group of 8 riders for 2 hours, each rider will receive 15 minutes of personal attention. Sure, everyone will flat together, and there will hopefully be some generalized instruction that benefits the group (ie, learning a new exercise, or general instructions about how to execute something, learning from watching others receive coaching through an exercise) but in terms of focus and commentary on a specific horse and rider pair, there is fifteen minutes for each person, and there will be a LOT of standing around.

(And that assumes that there isn't that one person who is having trouble that day, or has put themselves in an inappropriate section, or whatever... and there seems to *always* be one of those*... taking up extra time.)

The last two clinics I've done were $500 and $600 for two days, so $250-$300 per 45 minute lesson, but they were dressage clinics, ie, private lessons. In the past, I've paid about the same per day for small group sessions of 1-1 1/2hrs with big name hunter trainers.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I did a clinic in a group of 8 and while the clinician was excellent, it was basically mass-flatwork where I think I got two suggestions, plus two little snippets of jumping instruction each day. Not worth the $500.
    Yeah...it gets to be a lot and while I think the clinician did a good job in my example, he missed an awful lot of stuff. I got a few comments about not following a specific instruction, but it was because horse was acting up in one corner every time through it. Clinician wasn't seeing the acting up, but was seeing a few steps after when I hadn't gotten back to following the instruction yet, but horse wasn't trying to run to the center either. :shrug: I think with less people he would've seen it sooner and been a little easier on me. It still wasnt' a big deal, but I do prefer the smaller groups so the clinician can just see more of what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by countrcanter View Post
    More info here:
    http://lipha.org/
    Fan of Sea Accounts