The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cat peeing on the carpet

I know whenever you have a cat that is having litter box problems that you first rule out a physical problem then put them in a crate to try to reinforce litter box use. What if you have two cats and don't have any idea which one is doing it? They do not get along to there is no way I would put them into the same crate so I would have to buy another one to crate them both. Does it make sense to crate one and see if it stops?

There are now four litter boxes downstairs. There were two for years and everything was fine. One of them is peeing on the carpet right outside the room where the litter boxes are kept along with their food. I put another box out there and it stopped for a while and that box in the new area was a favorite. Now there are two out there and one of them is peeing on the carpet in a different spot. Still in the basement however.

can you keep one of them in the bathroom for a day?

Ive had good results witha product called feliway. Put it in the room with the carpet.

2 members found this post helpful.

We've had great success in a multi-cat household confining one cat at a time to try to identify a carpet-pee-er. If you have one crate, crate one for 24 hours and see what happens. Then the other one for 24 hours.

Confinement in a bathroom also works well.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

In that situation, I have taken them both to the vet.

1 members found this post helpful.

I noticed that the "new" litter box that I put in the other room had been switched with a different one. I dumped it a couple of weeks ago and was out of litter so I put a different one there. So maybe the new one is the key? Switched it back so we will see. Thank you for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    In that situation, I have taken them both to the vet.
    In a perfect world, I would agree. Around here, vet costs are very expensive. Just an exam and urinalysis would run at least $125 per cat, not including any medication.

If the cats are otherwise eating, drinking and urinating normal amounts (regardless of where) you can probably wait to see who is the culprit before getting a double cost exam.

And yes, start with the obvious (new litter box), some cats are sensitive to stuff like this. But dont wait too long to figure out who the culprit is, as the more the cat urinates on the carpet the harder the habit will be to break (even if it is due to a medical reason).

Oh, believe you me, I understand the costs

When I had more kitties and one peeing, I also treated the whole crew with antibiotics. Perhaps not the #1 preferred option, but it did solve the problem. All girl kitties, so a blockage was less likely than with boy kitties.

I have also read that you can fold up a eye stain strip into a capsule and pill your kitties one at a time, for a few days, to identify the pee-er. Once you're staining the pee-er's pee, it will be fairly obvious who it is.

I just dropped my filly off at New Bolton Center this morning for treatment of cellulitis so non-obviously sick vet visits are going to have to wait. My dog goes to the vet Wednesday for a NQR check.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I noticed that the "new" litter box that I put in the other room had been switched with a different one. I dumped it a couple of weeks ago and was out of litter so I put a different one there. So maybe the new one is the key? Switched it back so we will see. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Definitely try switching back to the old litter/box combo! You might get lucky and who-ever the pee-er is could forgive you. I would also try crating one at a time to answer the "who" question, before I'd start thinking vet visits - especially since this kind of thing seems like it's often behavioral, rather than medical.

Another random thought - since you mentioned that the two cats don't get along, is there anyway you could separate them for a while with private litterboxes? Just thinking that Pee-er could be getting offended that his/her preferred box is getting "violated" by Other Cat and taking that offense out on your carpet... I know my parent's cat is totally fine with a messy/used box, but mine is really upset if someone else uses "his" box and will protest by refusing to use a box that's got someone else's mess in it.

Hope that Juliet is OK, Laurie!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I have also read that you can fold up a eye stain strip into a capsule and pill your kitties one at a time, for a few days, to identify the pee-er. Once you're staining the pee-er's pee, it will be fairly obvious who it is.
    Just beware - fluorescein can stain carpets, furniture, whatever the cat pees on....might not come out.

I would probably just try and separate them for a few days (one in crate, one out, switch?) and see who is going outside the box.

I read this and it brought me back to issues I had with my three cats. Out of the blue, someone started peeing on the last landing to the basement. Not acceptable! I ruled out health concerns and then did a LOT of reading on the topic. Here is what I did and it worked! Stopped using the landing and went back to the boxes.

1 - bought new litter boxes since it had been awhile and they were getting old. Cat's have a wikked sense of smell so likely reeked to them even clean
    2 - one cat was a large breed so rather than a litter box, he got a big rubbermaid container so he could get all his edges in
    3 - moved the 4 litter boxes around so each had their own space - none beside each other. One had been close to the furnace. I read that if something happened like a loud noise or something falling when they were using a box, that would make them not go back to it. Going back to their wild roots and being exposed to predators.
    4 - put in night lights. It's a common thought that cats can see in the dark. If it's pitch black, they can't see any better than we can, but they see way better than us in low light
    5 - scrubbed and cleaned up the landing with vinegar and then Nature's Miracle. I SOAKED it and then let it dry in hopes that I'd dissuade them from thinking it was a litter box still.
    6 - changed my litter more often (guilty as charged on that one)

When I tell my friends what I did, they think I'm crazy especially the night light bit, but hey...it worked so whatever LOL!

I've never heard about crating a cat. I have my doubts that would really work...they don't seem to me to be the kind of animal that would get why they are in a crate...but that's just me.

From another thread, there are litters that help attract cats to their box...called Cat Attract...maybe worth a shot!

Good luck!
    FF

The time has come to figure out which cat is the culprit because the peeing continues. If I had to guess, it is probably my heart kitty which makes it harder. I would hate to put her in a crate but if it turns out it is her, I won't have a choice. I think I will crate the non heart kitty for now and see if she is the guilty party. Whichever one it turns out to be will be taken to the vet for a complete once over before being locked in the crate.

My cat that pees in the house (and we tried MANY things) is OK if he's confined to two rooms. Not completely perfect, but not the end of the world for an older cat with multiple health problems. (One of the rooms is my bedroom so he gets company, plus one of the other cats often visits for the day too).

Anyway, fingers crossed the other suggestions will work, but if not, keeping her to a room or two or three might work too.

Just a thought here, based on my own experience with the same problem. Kitty #1 was always good about using his litter box while he was an only cat. Then we added Kitty #2. Things were okay for awhile, until Kitty #2 grew up.

Then I found that someone was peeing on the carpet but couldn't figure out who. Neither boy had any medical problem (per vet check-ups). I finally caught Kitty #1 *in the act*. Despite having 3 clean litter boxes, he continued to think *outside the box* fairly regularly. .

Anyway, I separated them to totally different areas of the house (they never really didn't get along - no fighting or anything) and Kitty #1 resumed using his litter box without fail.

Along comes Kitty #3 and the same thing started happening with him not using the litter box. So he joined Kitty #1 and the problem disappeared. Both were clean as could be and used their litter box 100% of the time.

So the problems, as it turned out, were all related to Kitty #2 - he simply did not want anybody using *his* litter boxes (unfortunately, he assumed that ALL of the litter boxes were excusively for him and him alone and he would intimidate anybody who tried to infringe on HIS territory (but he was pretty sneaky about it because we never saw him *do* anything to the others. He did however, give them *the LOOK* which apparently was enough to make them think twice about using the litter boxes, which he patrolled like a guard at a prison!

Well the good news is that it's probably an easy fix--a UTI. The bad news is that if it IS a UTI, someone has been feeling like poo since the beginning of September. Hopefully, it's an easy fix. Best wishes.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Very unlikely it is a UTI as they tend to pee in cool places like sinks and bathtubs and the like. One of the two had a reoccurring UTI that was so bad I almost put her down so I am well versed in that. I finally got rid of it by giving her shots of gentocin every day for two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Very unlikely it is a UTI as they tend to pee in cool places like sinks and bathtubs and the like. One of the two had a reoccurring UTI that was so bad I almost put her down so I am well versed in that. I finally got rid of it by giving her shots of gentocin every day for two weeks.
    Wow, you really can't make across the board generalizations like that at all. I've had UTI/kidney infection kitties pee in the laundry basket, in room corners on carpeting, on the stove, on ME...

In fact, the cat that prefers to pee in the sink does not EVER have an infection.

Good luck at the vet. In the future, you might want to just ask for some antibiotics and treat them both when you have peeing problems. I've certainly done that with success and I have a good enough relationship with my vet that he's willing to do that without seeing the cats. Letting a cat go months with a possible infection is really not fair, and may lead to bigger problems (like kidney damage.)

Ditto everyone on the UTI suggestion - that's the #1 rule out for inappropriate urination.

Are you on good terms with your small animal vet? You could try calling and explaining that you suspect a UTI, and ask if you can just drop by to have a cysto pulled for urinalysis.

UTI's are rare in cats under 10. Interstitial cystitis and non infectious lower urinary track disease are common. In the under 10 set (unless diabetic) the urine is usually far too concentrated for bacteria to grow.

Www.catinfo.org is a treasure trove of information. Wet food is good for diluting the urine. Also, especially with cats that don't get along, you want the litter boxes scattered throughout the home due to territorial issues.
    Last edited by Marshfield; Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    can you keep one of them in the bathroom for a day?

Ive had good results witha product called feliway. Put it in the room with the carpet.
    Have been dealing with a similiar issue. Ruled out any physical stuff, and then a vet friend of mine suggested this product. Thought it was pretty "voo-doo-ish" but it seems to be making a difference. Not an overnight fix, but daily things get better.