The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting another dog, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Talk to me about going from a one dog household to a two dog household. When Emmett and I lived with my mom in PA she and her partner had two pitbull mixes (wonderful dogs!) and everyone got along great. Then I moved into an apartment and my roommates had a Bassett mix and he and Emmett were BFFs. I loved having one more dog in the house and to me, it feels empty now.

Emmett has lived with me and my BF for about 6 months as an only dog but he wants to play with every dog he meets on his walks. I think to an extent he'd like to have the company of another dog again.

I got Emmett several years ago from Ron and Danny and contacted them again. They have a male terrier mix, almost two years old, perfect size/temperament and cute as a button. He actually looks strikingly similar to Emmett! I'd be shipping him from SC to VA, however if there were any issues with he and Emmett getting along, they'd take the dog back. I'm not making any decisions until after the holidays (mid January) so it gives me time to weigh all the ups and downs and make a solid, educated choice. If he hasn't found his forever home, maybe it's meant to be. So let me have it. What should I consider? What could I be overlooking? Pros and cons? Thanks guys!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I am single and work a fair amount so I would never have a single/only dog. IMHO, a human cannot provide the same type/level of play/entertainment another dog can. The only "con" I can think of is it costs twice as much to feed 2 dogs as it does to feed 1! The only thing I carefully consider when adding dogs to my household is that I will usually not have two females unless they are both very non-dominant - if they decided to get into a dominance/bitch fighting struggle, the only "answer" is to keep them permanently separated, re-home one, or risk serious injury to one or both (even if they are both spayed). I have never had this problem (nor have any of my many dog-owning friends) with two neutered males or a male/female pair of dogs. That said, I currently have two females (and one male) with no problems but all three are very non-dominant.

TDD, I just went from a 1 dog house to a 2 dog house a few weeks ago.

I always had two dogs growing up, and Mr. FG and I had two until we lost one to cancer 7 years ago. We had to re-home the dog that was left because she was so anxiety ridden being alone, and at the time, we couldn't take on a second.

I will never have just one dog ever again. I love having two. We have some kind of hound mix, who is about 45lbs, and I just brought home a JRTx from the SPCA. She is all of 4lbs at the moment is sassy, sweet, snuggly and just the cutest thing ever. The two dogs love each other and she has fit into the household seamlessly.

I was a little worried about adding another dog, as our hound is SO low maintenance and really easy. I was like gosh how can another dog live up to the standard she has set?

I had been looking for a terrier mix for awhile, having had terriers before. It just happened that on the day I was at the SPCA, someone surrendered the 4 puppies so I literally got first crack at them. I did handle each puppy and picked the one with the personality I liked best, and did a meet and greet with my dog even though it was not required by the SPCA.

Good luck, keep us posted!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Going from one dog to two dogs is bliss. Going from two dogs to three dogs is chaos.

I have five. Should have stopped at two!

Definitely go for two.
    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway

3 members found this post helpful.

One Dobermann is enough to take care of ... But when his time comes, we'll get another dog. Having two dogs eases the transition for the people. One gets accustomed to the K9 presence. And when it's not there ...

Quote Originally Posted by IveGotRhythm View Post
    Going from one dog to two dogs is bliss. Going from two dogs to three dogs is chaos.

Definitely go for two.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Two was great. Three? Suicide. One 2.5yo BC, one 9 month old GSD, and one itty bitty terrorist. I thank my stars the BC is trained because I think I'd have killed myself by now otherwise. He just looks at me every now and then as if to ask, 'WTF did you do this for, woman? Remember how happy we were, just YOU AND ME?!.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

3 members found this post helpful.

I live at home while I'm in school, I have a border collie x but my mom has a bunch of little fluff balls (I do like them when they aren't barking).
    If you can manage it go for it! I'd love to get another one when I'm done school, but my girl would not be happy about it. We are a pack, she has very little interest in the other dogs, and can be extremely jealous.

I was hoping you'd chime in FG! I'm glad your two are blissfully happy. Ahh snikes, I knew I would be enabled by this crowd. SO hasn't had two dogs since he was a wee kid. However, he LOVES animals and adores Emmett. He also loves my OTTB gelding, Nemo.He's recently taken to walking the pony in from the field so the two geldings don't make snarky faces and dive at her when they come in for dinner. Am I lucky or what? I think he's a keeper. Plus, the new "puppy's" name is Hamlet. How cute? Hamlet and Emmett! Once I saw his picture I knew I was done for. Once/if it's set in stone I'll post his picture here.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Can you and Emmett meet him in person before shipping? It's hard to tell personality and if he'd fit into your family just off a photo.

Two dogs can be bliss, hell, or somewhere in between.

Unfortunately he's in SC and I'm in VA. That's one of the reasons that I confirmed that if the personalities just didn't work, they'd take him back and rehome him. Here's a picture that I hope will work:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...59771339_n.jpg

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by TatteredDaydreamer View Post
    Unfortunately he's in SC and I'm in VA. That's one of the reasons that I confirmed that if the personalities just didn't work, they'd take him back and rehome him. Here's a picture that I hope will work:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...59771339_n.jpg
    He's very handsome! Sounds sweet as well. Go for it. I've had at least 3 for the last 15 yrs (have had up to 5 at once), and don't think I will ever go back to having just one.

Quote Originally Posted by IveGotRhythm View Post

Definitely go for two.
    That is SOOOO not true! I love having three, and we've always tried to have three. That way, you can easily just take one of them for a ride, or to the vet, or out for a hike, without leaving one poor sad dog alone. Three means one person can still walk them all together, and you can stuff three into the backseat of a car if necessary.

However, I puppysit all the time for friends/family (I have a good crew of dogs who love visitors), and FOUR is where I draw the line for permanent residents! Once you get to four, it's hard to walk them all by yourself, and so the time commitment increases. Might be different if I had off-leash hounds, but I live near a busy road so everyone stays on a leash for the most part.

OP - how exciting! And it sounds like Emmett is a great boy who would do well with a playmate!

I grew up with dogs all of my life, and we have introduced new dogs into a multiple-dog household quite a few times. Here are the things I always keep in mind when thinking of bringing a new one into the mix with at least one other already established dog...

Someone already mentioned the female-with-female thing. My parents currently have two females. 99.5% of the time they are perfectly fine with one another because neither is very dominant, but those two do get into a fight every once in a blue moon. And bitch-fights are NOT cool. You don't have to worry about that one, but for future reference, always tread lightly with female-and-female dog pairings.

Also, I think most dogs don't have a problem with this but we've had one instance where an already housetrained dog had accidents when the new puppy came and wasn't yet housetrained. So, even though Emmett may not have that problem, it's something to think about. Just take it in stride if it happens - once we had the puppy housetrained, the older dog got back in the groove, too.

And one more thing, which I think is very important. Every time we've introduced a new dog, we always have our old dog(s) and new dog meet in neutral territory. Meaning, we'll take them all to a park, or down the block, or whatever - just so it's NOT what the older dog considers his/her territory. Once they've met elsewhere and seem calm and content with one another, we bring them all home with us and everyone is happy. But if you try to bring the new dog directly into the house, sometimes the others get REALLY up in arms and defensive. Best to have one of you take new pup to the designated place, then the other bring Emmett over for a meet and greet.

Best of luck!!! How exciting!

Pros: Twice the amount of cute! Two dogs is the same amount of work, really. They have company now when I leave for work and they can entertain themselves playing together.

Cons: Twice the cost (actually more than 2x in our case, our male eats 2x what the female does...). That's literally the only con I can think of.

It took a while for them to become buds...there was never any real issues, but don't freak out if they don't automatically take to each other. Bella was kind of indifferent towards him the first few months we had him and still sometimes she has to snap at him if he annoys her.

Here are my two:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...93890519_n.jpg
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Having multiple dogs is all about the introduction, and how strong a pack leader you are. I pretty much always have 3 dogs, usually and older, middle and younger. I enforce the pack order because I am the leader. The only dogs I've ever had trouble coming in and out of my packs are the dogs that one daughter has had. Other daughter has a great pack. Just remember they are dogs,not live stuffed animals and things should be fine.

The good: How could having two dogs not be awesome?!? They can entertain each other when you are busy/out, and you have two dogs to pet, walk, etc.

The bad: 2x the costs for food, vet care, dog supplies like toys, beds, food bowl, leashes (or more as other posters pointed out), also twice the yard pickup!!! If you let them sleep on the bed... less space for the humans. 2x the baths...

The ugly: It is great that you checked to make sure if the two do not get along that you can send the one back (although I really hope this is not the case, what a CUTIE!). When we went to a shelter to add the third dog, we came to look at one that would have been a terrible mix and would have made everyone's lives miserable. We have a dominant, alpha male and the dog we came to look at was another dominant male (did not know that at the time). Thankfully, the lady helping us brought out a different dog that was a "I love EVERYBODY" kind of guy. Everyone gets along famously.

Again when we had to put one to sleep a bit earlier this year, we were so very sad and started looking to adopt another. We were able to set up a meeting with our two dogs and the potential new dog, and all got along great because the new dog is a big non-dominant goof. The people re-homing him brought out their other dog just to play and the WHOLE dynamic changed. Everyone stated resource guarding, quibbling, etc. The play stopped. Period. Luckily, that was not the dog we were interested in otherwise we would have had to pass.

So to summarize this long post, making sure that they get along is paramount for everyone's happiness and sanity! We don't necessarily like everyone we meet so I think it is unfair to assume that a dog must like everyone he meets!

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Can you and Emmett meet him in person before shipping? It's hard to tell personality and if he'd fit into your family just off a photo.

Two dogs can be bliss, hell, or somewhere in between.
    Yes, no matter what YOU think, your dogs will have the last word if it will be a good fit or not.

Since where you are getting the dog will take it back, why not give this a try and see where it goes?

I am allergic to dogs, so managing more than one small, short haired one is all I want to do, but yes, two can be better for the dog's exercise and entertainment in their lives.
    It may mean more management energy and time spent from the owner to give them all plenty of attention.
    If you have that, why not?

You guys have confirmed what I've been thinking all along! I'm really hoping Hamlet is there after the holidays because if he is, he'll be coming to live with us. 99.9% sure of it!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Default Traveling?

My SO's biggest concern is when we go out of the town for a weekend or whatnot. Right now we take Emmett, we wouldn't be able to do that with two. How much of a PITA is it to travel when having two? What do you folks do?

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I have a pet sitter who comes to the house when we cannot take the dogs.

Although I don't really find taking two with us any more difficult than taking one.