The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What can you do to give during the holiday season?

What types of things can one do in a small town? I've often thought I'd LOVE to work in a kitchen on Christmas day, but we are so rural no one does that in the immediate area.

We gather an angel off the tree each year in memory of our first daughter. The girls make shoe boxes and send them over to other countries through the church.

What else can we do? We are so blessed and I just feel we could do more.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Who's in need? The elderly? Someone in a hospital? Just going to visit someone with some kind words and maybe some treats could mean so much. Can you network and find families in need in your are that you could bring a dinner to? I scrounge off of Freecycle, craiglist and the fleamarket and get stuff for the kids at the school Freecycle I started. The janitor loves that Freecycle--all of the lost and found clothes now go in there, and a bunch are going to people locally who have relocated from hurricane Sandy and need cloths.

There are so many little things you can do for the people around you.

You could contact the local elementary school to find out if there are a couple kids who need coats, mittens or boots. Even toiletries. Offer to help at a local food bank - people are very generous this time of year and food banks often need help sorting donations. If you're able, you could help a senior citizen clear snow off sidewalks in front of the house.

Good on you for thinking of things to do.

save it til the Holiday rush has passed....
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

1 members found this post helpful.

I live in a very small poor town-outside of channels, I would take baskets or envelopes of cash gifts and leave them with trusted stores or the school and just ask them to choose the right families. When you work with the public you get a very clear idea of which of your customers need the help and which don't-if you can trust someone else to do the handing out. Neighbors, in a small town you drive by the small little place that you know has more dogs than money-maybe you drop off a bag with dog treats and cash...

I'm so proud of my kids, they haven't asked for one thing for Christmas but even today on the way to school my 12 year old daughter said "for Christmas I want to give this neighbor a bag of dog treats!" and I know in my job at the feed store I saw several people today that bought their dog food instead of something more fun...

We moved this last year, so it makes it harder to "know" where there is need in my new community. I love to make people smile and to help them, even if it's something small. I just always wish I could do more. I'm not the type of person that just wants to give money and then move on. I want to be involved. I know the shoe boxes and angels are something, but we do that every year. I just feel so blessed, that i feel like I should/could give more.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

seriously, safe some for a Christmas in July or something.
    Now everybody is in the holiday spirit, but the need does not end there.

Give yourself the time to find the worthy cause!

However, even though that does not directly coincide with your one on one approach.....
    You could sponsor a boy or girl scout.
    In the BSA the yearly charter fee is 15 dollars per boy, plus incidentals like uniforms and camp outs. Not sure how the girls fair, but I know we have about 4 boys in the troop who are not well off at home and while scouting is affordable and the whole troop pulls together, there are moments when a constant supporter for a boy like that is a blessing!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

is there a store which offers layaway near you? we have a kmart near me and today i'm going to go pay down some layaways for people--two at 50 each oughta make someone feel happy.
    thanks for the reminder!

Do you have a church handy? Talk to the pastor about specific families in need, even if they aren't your denomination.

It was our holiday tradition to find a family or two in need and then we'd each pick out a toy for the kids, and Mom and Dad would pick out a gift for the parents and animals. We'd wrap everything up pretty, drive to the house, ring the doorbell, dump the gifts, then RUN! Park around the corner to watch. It was the most fun thing for us kids!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Something that we (a general we) don't often think of is to contact a local county home and ask if there are any Vets that live there. And ask how many are Diabetic or any other illness to things that may normaly come in an Xmas "stocking" and fill up "stockings " with goodies and note pads and things(like socks, personal stuff etc) and take them there..
    The Vets who generally live in county homes are with out family (close or care to visit) and are forgotten.
    A small thing for the people who gave of them selves even if their time was short or long and done during peace or war.
    Friend of bar .ka

I've decided to foster a dog from a local rescue. He's got heartworm so he needs a quiet, calm place to recover. I figure I'm about as quiet as they come, and I have the room so I might as well foster him (and run the risk of falling in love with him and adopting him).
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!