The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vests?

DQ here, seeking some help from you daredevils.

My mare is proving to be quite the challenge, and while I've only hit the dirt once I want to have all my important bits covered and am looking for a vest.

I was wondering what you folks would recommend that would allow movement, fit comfortably under a winter coat, but not break the bank? Are they the kind of thing that you can buy used? I don't care how it looks, as long as it works!

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Default My 2 cents

I would suggest a search through the Eventing Threads for more information, but I will provide my thoughts. One of the better vests for comfort is the Tipparerry. It has separated foam sections that are a little thinner then some vests and designed to shape around the torso. You can pick it up new between $250 and 300 dollars, but you may also find a deal used at ebay or online tack shops (consignment).

Myself, I wear a Charles Owen vest which is more one piece (front back), but rated for full protection., It is a bit more bulky, but for a rider over 50, I don't mind a little extra padding. Of course now some vests are coming with air protection, but if wearing inside a coat that may not be a good idea when/if it deploys.

If you are wearing a vest consider that in a few minutes of riding you may be warmer then is needed for a winter coat. You may look at a thinsilate shirt, light sweater and wear the vest on the outside.

Happy riding, and perhaps one day you might try Eventing...really try out the vest

I have this: http://www.smartpakequine.com/tipper...x?cm_vc=Search I'm short and it's one of the few that doesn't hit the cantle of my saddle.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I looooove my CO Kontakt 5, but for your situation I would suggest something more along the lines of a Tipperary. I was able to get mine used off eBay for less than $150. Vests aren't a one-fall and replace sort of deal like helmets, so I don't see an issue with buying them used.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Aeroware Outlyne
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    I looooove my CO Kontakt 5, but for your situation I would suggest something more along the lines of a Tipperary. I was able to get mine used off eBay for less than $150. Vests aren't a one-fall and replace sort of deal like helmets, so I don't see an issue with buying them used.
    Actually, they are. At least the rated vests are.

OP, a Tipp would be the one I recommend for your situation. I love my Charles Owen, but I only wear it for XC. I am comfortable in it, but it is bulky. Since you're not planning on going mach-10 towards jumps that don't fall down, a rated vest isn't necessary, IMO.

Good luck with the mare-beast!!

I have a Casel Equi vest and love it. Similar to Tipperary. It they do fit under jackets, but I wear a hoodie over mine most of the time. They are customizable thru the folks in Canada. I had 2 pockets added to the front for my cell phone/id stuff. Had it for 3 yrs and used pretty much every ride. I wash it in shower and hang dry and is ready to go next day.

Just my 2 cents. Happy vest hunting!

You can get a used Tipperary on ebay, sometimes for less than $100.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Rodney Powell! I love the thing. It feels stiff when you first get into it but within minutes it forms to your shape and you'll forget you have it on. Mine has helped me out of a number of awkward landings and I doubt I'll ever have a different kind.
    Also, how about a neck strap? ;-)
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Thank you all, so much! I have lots of options now!

ETA: I do have an "Oh sh!t" handle on the front of my saddle. We tried a neckstrap, but it made her rather angry!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I would suggest going to a tack shop to try several on, and sitting in your dressage saddle while wearing them. Truly sitting down in a dressage saddle is a much different position, and the saddle is a much different shape. You need to make sure the part that covers your tailbone isn't interfering with you by pushing you out of your deep seat or catching on the cantle.

1 members found this post helpful.

Casel Equi. I'm not an eventer but I'm old and don't hit the ground well. This vest is comfortable and customizable.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    Actually, they are. At least the rated vests are.
    Really? That's the first I've ever heard of that. Do you have information you could link to? (not doubting you, just interested)
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

If you want the vest for actual protection (as opposed to complying with the rules) I would not buy one of the "comfortable" Tipperaries that does not pass ANY of the standard tests.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    If you want the vest for actual protection (as opposed to complying with the rules) I would not buy one of the "comfortable" Tipperaries that does not pass ANY of the standard tests.
    I feel that this is a misleading statement. Isn't it merely the lack of protection from puncture wounds that keeps the Tipp from certification?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    Really? That's the first I've ever heard of that. Do you have information you could link to? (not doubting you, just interested)
    She is correct. Most vests use an extruded polystyrene, similar to what in helmets. Once there is an impact, the EPS collapses and is no longer as protective. Vests such as Kan Teq use a completely different material that is not subject to permanent collapse and thus are very good for multiple falls.

So, for those who are very interested in protection, you want to replace your vest after any major fall. The rest of us use them as decorative additions. I prefer my Carhart parka.

And for those interested in what the standards currently mean, Carhart parkas can qualify as protective vests in several applications and in many aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    And for those interested in what the standards currently mean, Carhart parkas can qualify as protective vests in several applications and in many aspects.
    Yesterday, I rode in both a vest and Carhartt parka. I must have been very safe, although all I can remember is feeling very cold, so cold that I drove home with my vest on.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I feel that this is a misleading statement. Isn't it merely the lack of protection from puncture wounds that keeps the Tipp from certification?
    The impression I got from the vest session at the USEA meeting is that they do not meet the "flat bar" test, at even the lowest level, either. But I can not cite an official source.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

While I agree that if you want maximum protection you should get a rated vest, my personal, honest opinion is that for breaking babies and wanting an extra layer of padding while still being super mobile and comfortable, especially in a dressage saddle, then something like a Tipp would be ideal. I love my CO, but there is no way in hell I'd be wearing that thing in my dressage saddle or for extended periods of time. Yes it is comfortable, but it is still bulky and I feel it would throw my position off.

I agree that you need to try some on and sit in your saddle if possible. If not, Smartpak has the free return shipping!! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    The way it was explained to me is this: a vest which is made up of small blocks/segments of foam will never be as good at dissipating force around the body (which is the whole point, obviously) as a vest which is made of larger panels. Pure physics - the segments can be pushed in individually, if you hit something narrow (fence rail, telegraph pole etc). The segmented ones are usually comfier because they conform more easily to ones shape, also more flattering (I loved the look of the Tipperaries when they first came out).
    I love my Kan, very very comfy and supreme protection. I heard great things of the Outlyne, too, though. Very different foam, however.